[MOD][KERNEL MODULE] wp_mod: disable system write protection

Search This thread

doublehp

Jul 14, 2009
then it says in terminal "execution error occurred "
same happened for diff paths

This error message is not suffisant. Try with non existing file, to see how your insmod behaves. Maybe also, the file is not readable. If you have a dual SIM, what's your kernel ? Modules are usually NOT portable from kernel to kernel; worked for me with 3.4.0-g0c47a10 . If you don't have EXACTLY that same kernel version, then, ask to the publisher of the module to make a new build for your kernel.

Still, your insmod is not very verbose; try to find a different insmod to get more details about the issue.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Anyone out there want to maintain this mod? For this and other HTC devices.

The initial hacking is a fun challenge, but I just don't have time to constantly update for every new base and every device. I am inundated with emails and PM's requesting new versions.

Job requirements are ability to use a hex editor, familiarity with Linux, a working Linux installation and attention to quality for each release. There is no pay but you will surely get many thanks on xda.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Anyone out there want to maintain this mod? For this and other HTC devices.

The initial hacking is a fun challenge, but I just don't have time to constantly update for every new base and every device. I am inundated with emails and PM's requesting new versions.

Job requirements are ability to use a hex editor, familiarity with Linux, a working Linux installation and attention to quality for each release. There is no pay but you will surely get many thanks on xda.
I've been trying to figure out what exactly needs to be hex-edited for this to work with a specific stock kernel?

I also tried building the module from the source and kept getting an include error, even though the header it was looking for was there. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

raksati

Nov 25, 2013
wp_mod_3.28.401.6.zip
Check it. I'm s-off.
the module is in the list returned by 'lsmod'
i'm on 3.29.161.5 VODAP405, this is what i did:
Code:
G:\HTC One M8\One_M8_AIO_Kit_v2.0\Data>adb shell
shell@htc_m8:/ $ su
su
root@htc_m8:/ # insmod /sdcard/wp_mod.ko
insmod /sdcard/wp_mod.ko
root@htc_m8:/ # lsmod
lsmod
wp_mod 12486 0 [permanent], Live 0x00000000 (O)
wlan 3602972 0 - Live 0x00000000 (O)
adsprpc 21680 3 - Live 0x00000000
ecryptfs 120767 0 - Live 0x00000000 (O)
dm_crypt 22878 0 - Live 0x00000000 (O)
moc_crypto 402288 2 ecryptfs,dm_crypt, Live 0x00000000 (PO)
moc_platform_mod 12871 1 moc_crypto, Live 0x00000000 (O)
texfat 186834 0 - Live 0x00000000 (PO)
root@htc_m8:/ #
G:\HTC One M8\One_M8_AIO_Kit_v2.0\Data>

is it ok? how can i verify it?

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

wp_mod_3.28.401.6.zip
Check it. I'm s-off.
the module is in the list returned by 'lsmod'

ok it works! ;) but is there a way to automatically load it? every boot it disappear...

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
i'm on 3.29.161.5 VODAP405, this is what i did:
Code:
G:\HTC One M8\One_M8_AIO_Kit_v2.0\Data>adb shell
shell@htc_m8:/ $ su
su
root@htc_m8:/ # insmod /sdcard/wp_mod.ko
insmod /sdcard/wp_mod.ko
root@htc_m8:/ # lsmod
lsmod
wp_mod 12486 0 [permanent], Live 0x00000000 (O)
wlan 3602972 0 - Live 0x00000000 (O)
adsprpc 21680 3 - Live 0x00000000
ecryptfs 120767 0 - Live 0x00000000 (O)
dm_crypt 22878 0 - Live 0x00000000 (O)
moc_crypto 402288 2 ecryptfs,dm_crypt, Live 0x00000000 (PO)
moc_platform_mod 12871 1 moc_crypto, Live 0x00000000 (O)
texfat 186834 0 - Live 0x00000000 (PO)
root@htc_m8:/ #
G:\HTC One M8\One_M8_AIO_Kit_v2.0\Data>

is it ok? how can i verify it?

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

ok it works! ;) but is there a way to automatically load it? every boot it disappear...
Add the insmod line to the bottom of install-recovery.sh in /system/etc.

raksati

Nov 25, 2013
Add the insmod line to the bottom of install-recovery.sh in /system/etc.

hi, the mod worked nicely until today I installed Xposed.
Now every boot install.recovery.sh return to original and "insmod /system/lib/modules/wp_mod.ko" line disappear. I unistalled Xposed via TWRP (because now i can't load wp_mod) and I tried to edit install-recovery.sh again but nothing, every boot it return to original. Why?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    wp_mod: Module to disable system write protection

This is a kernel module that disables write protection on the system partition while running the stock kernel.

HTC changed the MMC_MUST_PREVENT_WP_VIOLATION code to make it much harder to crack. I had to redo the module completely, so this is experimental. In the past, it was a simple matter of changing a variable, now we have to replace a function in the kernel so it returns something different, causing the kernel to skip over the write protection code.

I would caution against loading the module after attempting to make changes to the system partition. It could end up corrupting the filesystem. If the module is loaded at boot, there should be no worries.

This module will probably need to be updated to load with future kernels when they are released.

Please consider a donation to support ongoing development
    Many thanks to those who have donated!

Download:

wp_mod for GPE Marshmallow 6.0 can be found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/general/root-root-marshmallow-gpe-supersu-t3242210

Sense 4.4.4 (thanks @migascalp):
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/4vyqslnc4crsnto/wp_mod_3.28.401.6.zip

Sense 4.4.3 (2.22 base):
    wp_mod.ko

Sense 4.4.2:
    wp_mod.ko

GPE 4.4.4 (thanks to @italyforever):
    wp_mod.ko

GPE 4.4.2:
    wp_mod.ko

Installation:
    Wait for it to be implemented in your favourite ROM

* or *

Copy the module to your device, and type
    Code:
    su
    insmod /location-where-you-copied-it/wp_mod.ko

Changes:

April 2, 2014 - wp_mod 4.1
    -only return non-existing partition number if called by generic_make_request_checks
    -remove exit from module (we don't want to be able to unload it)
    -clean up code

March 31, 2014 - wp_mod 4.0
    -new method for HTC One m8

Source:
    https://github.com/flar2/wp_mod

Module was compiled against m8 Google Play Edition source. Some symbol CRC checks had to be hexedited in the compiled module to match the stock kernel. Thanks to Michael Coppola for example of function hooking on arm: http://poppopret.org/2013/01/07/suterusu-rootkit-inline-kernel-function-hooking-on-x86-and-arm/#arm
    AWESOME work flar2.

After examining the source, it is indeed *much* more complicated than it has been in the past. Just curious, if you have the kernel source, what is to stop you from just rewriting the hooked functions instead of hijacking them with this code, which appears to be proof of concept code for ARM rootkits?

Second question, the very informative page you linked to, and based this on, says this about ARM instruction caching:

http://poppopret.org/2013/01/07/suterusu-rootkit-inline-kernel-function-hooking-on-x86-and-arm/#arm

Any reason why you do not use this approach in your module?

Last and possibly most important question. The page also says this:

The code uses this approach only to avoid detection by rootkit detectors, something that we should have zero concerns about. Why not use the other approach, system call hooking by swapping out function pointers in the system call table?

THANK YOU.

I did rewrite the function. Remember, we have to do this in the running kernel. Whenever the original function is called, it jumps to my new function instead. Hooking/hijacking are the same thing. That site also shows how to hide the module and a bunch of other stealth stuff, but none of that was necessary for this.

It's extremely easy to disable write protection if you compile your own kernel, you just turn off MMC_MUST_PREVENT_WP_VIOLATION.

Previously, the wp_mod hack was dead simple. All we had to do was call an existing kernel function to change the number of the partition that write protection applied to. In the new source (below), HTC got rid of all this extraneous code and just hardcoded it to apply the write protection to /system. This happens in block/blk-core.c as you can see below. We need to skip over the quoted code.

Code:
    static noinline_for_stack bool
    generic_make_request_checks(struct bio *bio)
    {

#ifdef CONFIG_MMC_MUST_PREVENT_WP_VIOLATION
    	sprintf(wp_ptn, "mmcblk0p%d", get_partition_num_by_name("system"));   //hardcoded to look for system partition
    	if (!strcmp(bdevname(bio->bi_bdev, b), wp_ptn) && !board_mfg_mode() &&   //wp_ptn == mmcblk0p45  (/system)
    			(get_tamper_sf() == 1) && (bio->bi_rw & WRITE)) {
    		pr_info("blk-core: Attempt to write protected partition %s block %Lu \n",
    				bdevname(bio->bi_bdev, b), (unsigned long long)bio->bi_sector);
    		err = 0;
    		goto wp_end_io;
    	} else if (atomic_read(&emmc_reboot) && (bio->bi_rw & WRITE)) {
    		pr_info("%s: Attempt to write eMMC, %s block %Lu \n", current->comm,
    				bdevname(bio->bi_bdev, b), (unsigned long long)bio->bi_sector);
    		err = -EROFS;
    		goto wp_end_io;
    	}
    #endif

}

It's a *bad idea* to replace a big complicated important function like static noinline_for_stack bool
    generic_make_request_checks() so I decided to modify a simpler function within it, get_partition_num_by_name(). I changed get_partition_num_by_name() to return a different partition number when name == system. I didn't see any code in the kernel source where it would cause a problem to return the wrong partition number for system. After loading wp_mod.ko, write protection is applied to a non-existent partition instead of /system. The end result is exactly the same as my old wp_mod that has proven to work on many devices.

Why didn't I just change the address in the system call table? I don't think that is so easy on contemporary kernels. I found the function hooking method simpler and more foolproof.

EDIT: in my haste while answering this at work, I quoted the wrong function containing the write protection code. It's static noinline_for_stack bool
    generic_make_request_checks not bio_check_eod (which is the function right above it in blk-core.c)
    I've updated the module a bit to make it easier to port to future kernels and other devices that use this form of write protection. All that needs to be done is to edit the CRC value for module_layout. I've also made it so the module can't be unloaded, we don't want to do that. In the process, I was able to reduce the module's overhead. Also, as per @m03sizlak's suggestion, I made it so it will only return the non-existent partition if the calling function is generic_make_request_checks.

The first version works, but we should start testing this version.

Download:
    wp_mod.ko

(downloads not showing up for some reason, hold on)

Changes:
    -only return non-existing partition number if called by generic_make_request_checks
    -remove exit from module (we don't want to be able to unload it)
    -clean up code
    wp_mod for Sense 6 Android 4.4.3 2.22.401.4

wp_mod.ko
    For users who have init.d support in their ROM. Flash this and your good to go

https://mega.co.nz/#!XINyDIrB!QcdP3sZJjgKAivkEa7iN8Jusx0e78T1rpA5PT7VGAxQ

Sent from my Note 3