Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

Surface Pro 3

OP Trig0r

23rd September 2014, 01:18 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haheho2

How is the pro 3?

It is terrific....you definitely should get it. I have been using it for a while now and it is just fantastic.

The tablet is so light (for a full core i7 PC, 800 grams for tablet alone) and typing on the type cover is terrific as the keys are quite broad. The 3:2 form factor actually makes the tablet very usable compared to the longish 16:9 in many laptop and tablets. Kudos for Microsoft for daring to be different. The ability to do work in a Portrait orientation makes me so ultra productive as I can see my entire page all at once (very important to me). There are so many pluses in Portrait orientation, I can read an entire webpage at one go without having to zoom in. However, there is a caveat. When in portrait orientation, you have to unplug the type cover and essentially the type cover is useless when it is not plugged into the SP3. So you have to get an external (preferably bluetooth) keyboard for that. It sucks that it has only 1 USB port and despite what I have read online, the battery life was so-so for me....around 5 hours plus. Maybe its because I am using the core i7/512GB version. I would have gladly accepted another 100g of weight on the product in exchange for slightly longer battery life.

I think the sweet spot for this product in terms of price/performance/battery-life is really the core i5/256GB version. Occasionally it does get pretty hot at the back.....I am not sure if it is because of the core i7. Also, I used to own a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro...and although I like that laptop, however, 2 negatives for me...the yellow colors are more like mustard and there is no way to overcome it and Lenovo is pretty much ignoring the issue....and the standard SD card slot has 80% of the SD card sticking out of the slot. The screen and colors on the SP3 are very accurate and the 2K (2156x1440) resolution is sharp and bright. And Microsoft hid a micro-SD card slot behind the tablet hidden by the kick-stand and its terrific. However, the micro-SD card tends to go to sleep very often and the only way to wake it is to pull it out of the slot and push it back in. I have found no way to get the micro-SD card to stop going to sleep. The accuracy of the PEN when taking notes is very very good compared to many tablets that I have tried before and its smart integration to One Note (free) and One Note 2013 (free also I think) is fantastic.
Last edited by nys299; 23rd September 2014 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Correction
19th October 2014, 03:00 PM   |  #12  
Flag Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Thanks Meter: 51

931 posts
More
So I've been using the SP3 for about a month and recently took it for travelling. At the hotel, i connected the SP3 to my Jambox speakers and it was great except that the music would turn off when the screen turns off. The only way to keep the music playing is to extend the sleep time on the SP3 which also means the screen is kept on. Not the most ideal case compared to using a notebook.

Is there a work around for this? Or maybe a setting i may have missed.
Today, 06:52 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Sleep bug-----Hibernate Alternative
i had the surface 2 pro for 1 year and absolutely loved it, but i kept running into an issue that when it was in its sleep mode it somehow would wake itself up in its case and stay on running. Later for me to find a superheated surface with significant battery drain. The only fix i could find is to make it hybernate, it uses 8 gigs of harddrive space for the ram, but thats the only drawback, it starts about the same speed. So i recently bought the pro 3 for the sole purpose of the larger screen, that was my only complaint from my pro2. i then found out that the surface 3 seems to have the same issue as i had with the pro 2. But the pro 3 didnt have hibernation available when i searched for its, i asked the staff at my closest microsoft store and they said it looks like they phased it out. But after a ton of searching and digging i found a way to enable hibernate.
i tried enabling by cmd line like normal " powercfg -h on" didnt give me an error but nothing showed up.

Remember that you need enough hard drive space as hibernate takes your ram and dumps it to your harddrive. space used on hard drive=ram size
This replaces your sleep option with hibernate

1) hit start
2) search add or remove programs or Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features
3) left side will have "Turn Windows features on or off"
4) select the main Hyper-V
5) hit ok
6) wait for it to find and install files
7) restart computer
9) should now show up under power button options

should you want to remove the hibernate and restore sleep option, simply go back in and uncheck the Hyper-V-you need to set your power button preferences again back to sleep

any help please leave a thanks
Last edited by stricker49; Today at 06:57 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread