Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Note II stuck on boot screen (Not Rooted!)

OP N074N008

20th October 2014, 07:47 AM   |  #21  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
I'm so sorry!
Hi again jlmancuso!

I am SO sorry that I took so long to get back to you! My life has been pretty busy lately due to the fact that my house was partially destroyed by a natural disaster, so I haven't actually been able to fix my friend's phone yet. I was hoping that you (or anyone) could help me some more. The phone WILL boot into both recovery and download mode, but when I boot it into recovery mode it displays this:

Android system recovery <3e>

Volume up/down to move highlight;
power button to select.

reboot system now
apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

*picture of an Android lying on its back with its front panel thing open, showing a red triangle with a black exclamation mark*

E: failed to mount /system (Invalid argum
ent)

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC. . .

ent)
can't mount '/system' (Invalid argument)
ent)

By the way, it really says "Appling". Also, I wanted to ask another question. How do I get the camera pictures off? And will flashing the recovery reset the phone, causing my friend to lose her data? I don't mean to annoy people by re-asking questions, but my friend trusts me with this and I don't want to let her down. Thanks!
22nd October 2014, 05:52 PM   |  #22  
Flag houston, tx
Thanks Meter: 5,382

5,061 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by N074N008

Hi again jlmancuso!

I am SO sorry that I took so long to get back to you! My life has been pretty busy lately due to the fact that my house was partially destroyed by a natural disaster, so I haven't actually been able to fix my friend's phone yet. I was hoping that you (or anyone) could help me some more. The phone WILL boot into both recovery and download mode, but when I boot it into recovery mode it displays this:

Android system recovery <3e>

Volume up/down to move highlight;
power button to select.

reboot system now
apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

*picture of an Android lying on its back with its front panel thing open, showing a red triangle with a black exclamation mark*

ent)

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC. . .

ent)
can't mount '/system' (Invalid argument)
ent)

By the way, it really says "Appling". Also, I wanted to ask another question. How do I get the camera pictures off? And will flashing the recovery reset the phone, causing my friend to lose her data? I don't mean to annoy people by re-asking questions, but my friend trusts me with this and I don't want to let her down. Thanks!

What you are seeing in recovery is normal. This is what the stock recovery looks like. Flash a custom recovery twrp 2.8.0.0 is the best choice for this problem and it will not erase anything on the device.

You want to use odin to flash the recovery. Make sure the reboot option is not checked. After it flashes disconnect from pc and remove battery. Press and hold vol+, home, and power then insert battery. This will bring you into recovery. Connect phone to pc and since you have twrp 2.8 you will be able to access internal and external sdcards. Just copy whatever you want from them.

Once you get all the data you need off the device we can work on fixing it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jlmancuso For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd October 2014, 10:31 PM   |  #23  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Thanks! My friend also wants me to ask you if activating a different phone in the meantime would in any way mess up the old one or cause it to reset once it's turned on. I know the "hands-free activation" feature that these phones come with can sometimes cause phones to reset themselves because it's happened to me multiple times. Could anything bad happen if she did this? Thanks again!
22nd October 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #24  
Flag houston, tx

5,061 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by N074N008

Thanks! My friend also wants me to ask you if activating a different phone in the meantime would in any way mess up the old one or cause it to reset once it's turned on. I know the "hands-free activation" feature that these phones come with can sometimes cause phones to reset themselves because it's happened to me multiple times. Could anything bad happen if she did this? Thanks again!

Since the device wont boot it can not connect to sprint and cause any issues. All the instructions I gave you above will only get you to a recovery so you can copy data from device. It still wont boot till we do further fixes. Once you get everything backed up let me know and we will TRY and get it working again. Not sure if the device is completely broken till we try a few things.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlmancuso For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th October 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #25  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
I just want to ask one more thing before I get started. What exactly do I do to get the pictures off? Thanks!
24th October 2014, 06:30 AM   |  #26  
Flag houston, tx

5,061 posts
Donate to Me
More
To get pictures off you need to odin twrp 2.8 and boot into the recovery. Then connect to pc and you will have access to internal and external sdcard. Most pics will be located in the DCIM folder.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread