Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Slimport adapter (Micro usb to HDMI)

OP ziggazee

25th June 2014, 11:36 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 23

45 posts
I don't care about 4k output actually. What I care is the support of use otg and screen output simultaneously. That's why mhl is more attractive than slimport atm. Would be disappointed if at the end G3 doesn't support mhl3.0.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
26th June 2014, 08:00 PM   |  #12  
Flag santa clara, CA
Thanks Meter: 5

2 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggazee

Thank you for clarifying that. As you have stated that slimport 4k adapters will be released some time this year, can you confirm if the g3 will support these and be able to output in 4k rather than upscale?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

The new dongles will work on the G3, however, 4K output is not supported by the G3 circuitry so the output would still be high bitrate 1080p. A 4K TV would detect the 1080p signal and scale it to 4K. Best to check with LG on their product plans for 4K support in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to zumashark For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2014, 06:33 AM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26

230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud0902

I don't care about 4k output actually. What I care is the support of use otg and screen output simultaneously. That's why mhl is more attractive than slimport atm. Would be disappointed if at the end G3 doesn't support mhl3.0.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's confirmed the g3 supports slimport and not mhl. Zumashark is a spokesperson for Slimport and it's also listed as a supported device on the Slimport website. Although I also would have preferred mhl 3.0 as I have a 4K TV with mhl built in, which would have allowed me to control the phone using the TV remote when plugged into the TV and it would have charged the phone at the same time. 4K output was something I really wanted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app
Last edited by ziggazee; 27th June 2014 at 06:51 AM.
24th October 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
more info on slimport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumashark

As a SlimPort spokesperson (and a new xda member), I can help to clarify the video output features for the G3. LG switched from MHL to SlimPort with the launch of the Nexus 4 in November 2012. All subsequent LG mobile devices are SlimPort-enabled. The G3 can shoot 4K videos. However, LG chose to not support the 4K output direct to the TV. The G3 will output full bandwidth 1080p video via the SlimPort/HDMI dongle. When connected to a 4K TV, the TV will detect the 1080p signal and properly scale it to 4K. To view the 4K content, the video must be transferred via USB to a media player that supports 4K. FYI there are no devices that support both MHL and SlimPort.

Current certified SlimPort dongles on the market work with any SlimPort enabled phones. As mentioned, you can check with the SlimPort web site to get a current list of devices that support the format and of locations to order dongles. Last February, the SlimPort 4K receiver chip (used in the dongles), ANX7738, was introduced and you should see 4K dongle products on the market later this year.

Just in case anyone else is looking around for info like this, as I am.. I found this after i read the above comments.
The MHL consortium announced a 3.0 spec on Tuesday, upping Mobile High Link's resolution support from 1080p up to 4K at 30 frames per second. Future Android phones and other devices that support the new spec will be able to push video at 3840x2160 while drawing up to 10 watts of charging power; they'll also support 7.1 surround sound audio and the HDCP 2.2 content protection standard. Of course, the 3.0 spec is mostly futureproofing, since 4K TVs are just beginning to show up in stores and homes.

MHL has found its way into more than 200 products at this point, with millions of devices on the market. SlimPort, by comparison, is available in only a few: Google's Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, the LG Optimus G Pro, a Fujitsu Windows 8 tablet and the ASUS PadFone Infinity. Last year Anandtech did a good job of summarizing what makes SlimPort different from MHL:

"SlimPort is a new video output standard which works over microUSB, and is effectively an MHL alternative based on the DisplayPort standard administered by VESA. SlimPort is offered both license and royalty free, and supports up to 1080p60 or 1080p30 with 3D content over HDMI 1.4 (up to 5.4 Gbps of bandwidth), in addition to support for DVI, VGA (up to 1366x768 and 720p at 60 Hz), and DisplayPort.

What's different about SlimPort from a user-facing perspective is that external microUSB power is not required for the adapter to work and is instead only required for optional charging. At the same time, the adapters draw no power from the source to operate."
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread