USB Port Cover Replacement

Search This thread

sleze

Nov 6, 2007

I just tried ordering it here in the US:

http://www.partsimple.com/gh63-03870b-sam-n-8.html

$10 including shipping. Better than the $30+ for ordering from the UK (cross fingers)

sleze

Nov 6, 2007
wait for your feedback.

How can we change this part, is a tear off mandatory ?

Turns out they are backordered. In order to replace it, you need some needlenose pliers to pull the anchor out of the phone part. If you just rip it, you likely won't be able add a new one.

sleze

Nov 6, 2007
Cover finally arrived today. Fits fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pvchip3

Nov 17, 2010
Port Cover

I ordered mine from Amazon and im completely satisfied...it fits a lot better that the original that came with the phone

brianisawesome1

Mar 30, 2013
Turns out they are backordered. In order to replace it, you need some needlenose pliers to pull the anchor out of the phone part. If you just rip it, you likely won't be able add a new one.

Do you know if there is a video on how to do this? I think my charging port door is extremely worn out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Free mobile app

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011
It's also very easy to replace the cover if you just undo the screws on the lower half of the phone and gently lift that part of the back slightly off. Just enough to have the space to fit in your new cover!

brianisawesome1

Mar 30, 2013
It's also very easy to replace the cover if you just undo the screws on the lower half of the phone and gently lift that part of the back slightly off. Just enough to have the space to fit in your new cover!

Can I just buy one off eBay or should I find a specific website to use? Also do you know of any videos that show it being done?

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011
I haven't purchased extras yet but I can't see why the eBay ones wouldn't work.

I don't know of videos specifically for this but you can check out videos of basic S4 Active disassembling to see where the screws are etc. It's a very minor job.

Tonight I tried forcing one into place with an eyeglass screwdriver and it worked great, so I guess you don't even have to unscrew the back of the phone! You learn something every day ;)

brianisawesome1

Mar 30, 2013
I haven't purchased extras yet but I can't see why the eBay ones wouldn't work.

I don't know of videos specifically for this but you can check out videos of basic S4 Active disassembling to see where the screws are etc. It's a very minor job.

Tonight I tried forcing one into place with an eyeglass screwdriver and it worked great, so I guess you don't even have to unscrew the back of the phone! You learn something every day ;)

Wow that's very interesting. I just found that if I push the port in a certain way it closes fully. I shove the right side in all the way and then push up on the part closest to the screen and its very secure.

fez10

Nov 7, 2010
How long are you guys finding that your cover lasted for before needing to be replaced? I've had mine for over 2 years and I haven't had any problems with it.

Den90

Jan 9, 2009
Kharkov
www.smart-se.ru
Mine lasted for about 2.5 years (was slowly falling off, then ripped) the first branch of covers (same as you can find by the links in the first post) that has gray rubber insert was somewhat defective, it can be ripped easily and not closing securely all the time, so Samsung actually replaces them in service centers, I know guy who took his phone to service with faulty display and they replaced display and cover to one similar to Galaxy S5 with flat white rubber insert. I got new one from service for about 5$ and this is a newer one (same as S5's) and to replace it, you just need to undo bottom screws, then easily with fingernail you can lift up back of the phone just a little bit, and old cover (just a piece of it in my case) will fall off, so you just need to put the new one and put button screws back (decorative, round plastic bits you can take off with needle, there are tiny groove for it).

Mine lasted for about 2.5 years (was slowly falling off, then ripped) the first branch of covers (same as you can find by the links in the first post) that has gray rubber insert was somewhat defective, it can be ripped easily and not closing securely all the time, so Samsung actually replaces them in service centers, I know guy who took his phone to service with faulty display and they replaced display and cover to one similar to Galaxy S5 with flat white rubber insert. I got new one from service for about 5$ and this is a newer one (same as S5's) and to replace it, you just need to undo bottom screws, then easily with fingernail you can lift up back of the phone just a little bit, and old cover (just a piece of it in my case) will fall off, so you just need to put the new one and put button screws back (decorative, round plastic bits you can take off with needle, there are tiny groove for it).

Can you post some photos of it? I'm wondering what's so much better about the new ones. I've had mine for 2.5 years as well and haven't seen any signs of wear and tear yet.

Den90

Jan 9, 2009
Kharkov
www.smart-se.ru
Well, first of all, the rubber base is secured better on the plastic cover itself so rubber won't gonna rip off as easy (mine riped off from plastic about a year ago, and now rubber itsetf brake) if you happy with yours, thats good because as for me I didn't had another choise. Before installing new cover I took pictures of new and old, here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_20150925_235957.jpg
    IMG_20150925_235957.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20150926_000051.jpg
    IMG_20150926_000051.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20150926_000113.jpg
    IMG_20150926_000113.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: Devo7v

Top Liked Posts