Stupid Questions Thread - No question too stupid!

Search This thread

ritardid

Aug 17, 2013
Bootloader / Downgrade question (Self-Solved[SELF-FIVE!])

Update: I am trying to address the bootloader version issue by flashing to the most current stock rom MVLUFNI2, fingers crossed.
Update 2: First boot screen on stock 4.4, sound plays through speakers...solved.
I have two stupid questions. Background:
SGH-I337M (Telus), rooted with Odin and CF Autoroot.
Stupid question #1 To return all the way back to unrooted/counter=0/warranty status, do I need to find more than a stock rom? eg. a stock bootloader or kernel, etc. packaged separately?
I decided to try Liquidsmooth 4.4 on for size. I don't know what version of Android I was running...oops. LiquidSmooth bootlooped, so I grabbed SlimKat 4.4. It booted and went to homescreen but with no sound from any source, no mic, and no phone calls in or out on top of running like garbage. Got frustrated, grabbed official stock rom (4.2.2!) and flashed it. It has the same issues I was experiencing in SlimKat. I have tried several roms, formats, and factory resets as well as every other solution I can find online to no avail.
Stupid question #2 I've come to understand that you can't downgrade from kitkat to jb due to bootloader changes; are the issues I'm describing something you would expect to see if you had?
Oh yeah, I haven't done any recovery/rom playing around in about two years and I was rusty as hell. When i flashed from original rom I did it DIRTY...no reset/format at all, and using ROM Manager from the phone's interface, then realizing when I rebooted that I hadn't actually installed CWM and the phone was booting into stock recovery. I've used CWM or Odin for every flash since, but I'm afraid this problem may be complex..... thanks in advance for the answers =)

Last edited:

Bleedos

Mar 7, 2013
Montreal
I have two stupid questions. Background:
SGH-I337M (Telus), rooted with Odin and CF Autoroot.
Stupid question #1 To return all the way back to unrooted/counter=0/warranty status, do I need to find more than a stock rom? eg. a stock bootloader or kernel, etc. packaged separately?
I decided to try Liquidsmooth 4.4 on for size. I don't know what version of Android I was running...oops. LiquidSmooth bootlooped, so I grabbed SlimKat 4.4. It booted and went to homescreen but with no sound from any source, no mic, and no phone calls in or out on top of running like garbage. Got frustrated, grabbed official stock rom (4.2.2!) and flashed it. It has the same issues I was experiencing in SlimKat. I have tried several roms, formats, and factory resets as well as every other solution I can find online to no avail.
Stupid question #2 I've come to understand that you can't downgrade from kitkat to jb due to bootloader changes; are the issues I'm describing something you would expect to see if you had?
Oh yeah, I haven't done any recovery/rom playing around in about two years and I was rusty as hell. When i flashed from original rom I did it DIRTY...no reset/format at all, and using CWM from the phone's interface, then realizing when I rebooted that I hadn't actually installed CWM and the phone was booting into stock recovery. I've used the proper methods for every flash since, but I'm afraid this problem may be complex..... thanks in advance for the answers =)

Last time I returned to stock I had major problems on first Boot. Lost patience and pulled the battery. Booted to stock recovery and did a factory reset. Seemed that the flash in Odin did not remove ancient data. Factory reset did the trick.

Don't know if you tried it and if it you do any difference if not.

SimonSaysWin

Apr 30, 2012
Florida
Hi All,
I have a I337 on stock 4.2.2 with the MF3 baseband. I would like to use this phone with T-Mobile.
Can I simply follow the steps in this thread to get root and unlock the phone?
I would also like to install a custom rom, do I need to install safestrap after I have rooted the phone or do I have other options?
Thanks.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Hi All,
I have a I337 on stock 4.2.2 with the MF3 baseband. I would like to use this phone with T-Mobile.
Can I simply follow the steps in this thread to get root and unlock the phone?
I would also like to install a custom rom, do I need to install safestrap after I have rooted the phone or do I have other options?
Thanks.

It should work, but you might try saferoot to root. You will have to use safestrap to flash roms

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: SimonSaysWin

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Are you referring to this? I don't see MF3 listed for the i337 but this looks like a good option if it will work.

Yes, I would try it. I'd also try towel root. not sure if either will work but they won't mess anything up if they don't work, they'll just fail, and it easier than messing around with the sd card

SimonSaysWin

Apr 30, 2012
Florida
Yes, I would try it. I'd also try towel root. not sure if either will work but they won't mess anything up if they don't work, they'll just fail, and it easier than messing around with the sd card

Thanks for your help so far, everything has gone perfectly. I am now rooted and unlocked. So for hopefully my last set of stupid questions, I am wanting to install the Goldeneye Rom.
1. Which version of safestrap do I need to use? This one appears to be the newest but I am not on KitKat so do I need to upgrade first? If so, how do I upgrade to KitKat without losing root/unlocked?
2. On the Goldeneye Safestrap Install Instruction Page it lists 4 different ATT modules but not MF3. Does this mean that the rom doesn't support MF3 or that I have to be on one of the listed modules basebands?

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks for your help so far, everything has gone perfectly. I am now rooted and unlocked. So for hopefully my last set of stupid questions, I am wanting to install the Goldeneye Rom.
1. Which version of safestrap do I need to use? This one appears to be the newest but I am not on KitKat so do I need to upgrade first? If so, how do I upgrade to KitKat without losing root/unlocked?
2. On the Goldeneye Safestrap Install Instruction Page it lists 4 different ATT modules but not MF3. Does this mean that the rom doesn't support MF3 or that I have to be on one of the listed modules basebands?

now that you're sim unlocked you'll probably want to Odin to nb1, see the general forum, then ota to nc1. You'll have to re-root using towel root. Then flash safestrap 3.75 then your rom.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53758227

SimonSaysWin

Apr 30, 2012
Florida
now that you're sim unlocked you'll probably want to Odin to nb1, see the general forum, then ota to nc1. You'll have to re-root using towel root. Then flash safestrap 3.75 then your rom.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53758227

I can go straight from MF3 to NB1 using the I337UCUFNB1_4.4_Stock_Odin_tar file in the link you posted? I don't have to go to MK2 or anything else first?

londonandlawson

May 1, 2009
I bought my son an Att Galaxy S4 and I rooted it and I want to put a ROM on it before I give it to him. Knox has supposedly been disabled but I don't want to brick the phone. I have installed roms and recoveries on numerous older phones so I have a small bit of experience. In the past I have always flashed a recovery in Odin but when I downloaded a recovery for this phone is was a .IMG file which doesn't work in Odin.

If you have done this on an Att Galaxy S4 I would appreciate some help, thanks.

joelgomez1991

Oct 28, 2014
i337 custom recovery bypass?

my stupid question as a noob i am trying to find a way to bypass the custom recovery for the i337 as its not unlock-able, Ive tried several methonds but nothing has helped what is the latest ? id appreciate the help, noob out, thanks guys

StoneyJSG

Jul 28, 2014
I bought my son an Att Galaxy S4 and I rooted it and I want to put a ROM on it before I give it to him. Knox has supposedly been disabled but I don't want to brick the phone. I have installed roms and recoveries on numerous older phones so I have a small bit of experience. In the past I have always flashed a recovery in Odin but when I downloaded a recovery for this phone is was a .IMG file which doesn't work in Odin.

If you have done this on an Att Galaxy S4 I would appreciate some help, thanks.

If you are running any other firmware besides MDB or MDL, then you have to use safe strap for custom ROMS and recovery due to the locked bootloader.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

my stupid question as a noob i am trying to find a way to bypass the custom recovery for the i337 as its not unlock-able, Ive tried several methonds but nothing has helped what is the latest ? id appreciate the help, noob out, thanks guys

You can only bypass the locked bootloader by using LOKI doki. In order to use LOKI doki you need to be on the MDB or MDL firmware. The NC1, NB1, MK2, and Nl1 firmwares are LOKI patched and will only work with Safe Strap.

kruuth

Oct 23, 2010
Hey guys, I've just gotten my wife a used S4. It's running goldeneye but I'm not sure what version I'm on. How do I know if I need to use loki or safestrap? The baseband version is 1337UCUFMLD.

joelgomez1991

Oct 28, 2014
If you are running any other firmware besides MDB or MDL, then you have to use safe strap for custom ROMS and recovery due to the locked bootloader.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

You can only bypass the locked bootloader by using LOKI doki. In order to use LOKI doki you need to be on the MDB or MDL firmware. The NC1, NB1, MK2, and Nl1 firmwares are LOKI patched and will only work with Safe Strap.
Thank you i decided to stay with nb1 and install safe trap also safe trap doesnt work unless you install selinux mode changer and set it to second option theb safetrap will work by the reboot button turning on. Thank you guys for the help

systemglytch

Oct 23, 2014
San Juan
Hellos,
I'm a noob and recently rooted and installed a custom recovery my S4 in attempt to install Cyanogenmod. This was after the last update by At&t and the bootloader doesnt let the recovery (TWRP) boot. This was before I heard that Att added a boot loader. I have tried many methods to return to stock but all have failed because of the bootloader. Any way to remove and return to stock or perhaps unlock the bootloader?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought we could benefit from having a stupid questions thread here in the S4 Q&A section. This thread is for those who have what they may feel is a stupid or very simple question. Please read through the forum threads and use the search first. Lets all work together to give answers where we can without speculating. If you don't know, don't answer. If you do, let's get these stupid questions out there and answered!

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Any flaming will be reported. All XDA rules apply so read up.

Props to @lumin30 and @ShadyAce80 for setting this up in the S 4G and S3 forums where I first found them. Cheers!
    The only stupid question is the one that never got asked!

I am giving a thanks also.
    Any lollipop for safestrapp users yet?
    Not yet. You'll see the announcements, I'm sure.
    Did they give up on trying to unlock the Bootloader on the AT&T/Verizon S4? or is it still a work in progress?
    Still a work in progress. Still just as difficult.
    Been wondering why all ROMs aren't created to flash in Odin. It works for un-bricking, returning to stock and many other uses so why not flash all ROMs this way? Why flash through recovery? Is it hard to create custom ROMs that are Odin flashable? Why?? Thanks in advance for your replies.
    You can't create ODIN flashable ROMs for all devices, since those with a locked bootloader can't flash it. It's also easier to create a flashable zip than an ODIN package.
    hey guys, im a avid flasher on my s2 but just got my s4 today and was wondering if i can just odin the latest twrp and flash the latest supersu.zip to gain root?

on 4.4.2
    Baseband 1337MVLUFNl2
    build KOT49H.1337mVLUFNl2

also would the twrp version be jfltecan ?

thanks guys

not use to submiting noob q's lol

Edit: btw with koodo, and sim locked to koodo. Not sure if that matters or not

You should be able to do that, and yes it should be jfltecan.
    This is where I show my inexperience.
    With cwm 6.0.3.2 I did from the menu:
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Wipe dalvik cache

That first one should be the format, right? Or is there another one I missed?

first, make sure you have a backup and your rom/gapps on a micro sd card. thats my soapbox
    wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, format system, format /data.
    flash rom/gapps, reboot.
    You touched my heart..:(
    I want vision x rom but I am new to samsung and I hav at&t sgh i337 about which many were saying if I put custom in it it will brick
    No one guided me and I am fear of bricking my device

Loki is the bootloader workaround for MDB and MDL, all other versions Loki is patched. Knox is Samsung's secure corporate security crap.

Alright...

So here's what you'll do:

Root it with Casual:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297900

You could use CF-Root but it add to the binary counter in download mode
    The process will also load TWRP recovery, but an older version.

Download Vision ROM for I-337, and an AT&T 4.4.2 Kernel such as KT (Lokied), and Loki-Doki and put them on your SD

Update your TWRP with this link, you just flash it in recovery.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2262996

Reboot Recovery
    Perform the wipes, which are:
    Factory Reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik Cache
    Format /system

Flash the ROM, Kernel, and Loki-Doki, I'm not sure if that ROM has Loki applied or not.

Loki-Doki:
    http://tau.shadowchild.nl/files/loki-doki.zip