the error is:
Unable to locate zip file
I am not sure either if is a unicode texT.
I'm being lazy here, sorry ,but I did promise to post something
A) when do you receive and OTA notification:
1- the ROM fingerprint, CID, and MID must match (if) available OTA
2- does anything else matter (root, kernel, modifications, S-On/S-Off, etc., even recovery) -> NO, but they may below
B) the OTA updater-script
you need to be on stock recovery, custom recoveries will not work!
what will it check:
1- the ROM fingerprint, CID, and MID
2- if you pass those, the OTA will check the actual system files (thousands of them) using SHA-1 hash to confirm they are as expected. Why? because OTA is just a patch (diff) between two versions, so in order to patch a file (as opposed to replacing it), it has to be an exact match.... if even 1 out of those thousands of files is not as expected, the OTA will not work. ---> stock recovery will change to red triangle.
what will it do if the above are OK:
* the OTA will patch the existing files
* delete any files no longer part of the update
* install any new files that come with the update
* and finally update the firmware (hboot, recovery, kernel, thouchscreen drivers, bootsplash, etc.) <- note, since the OTA is an update the firmware.zip will only contain the files that need to be updated, so for example, touchscreen drivers are not included in every OTA, only when necessary.
and to the big question, what will interfere with successful OTA:
any modification to the files the OTA checks (in step 2 above), so:
- does a custom kernel matter (boot.img) -> technically no, but custom kernels may also overwrite certain system files, so in practice yes they may interfere if some stock system file was changed.... not because boot.img is custom, but because the files in /system which got replaced. (so flashing back a stock boot.img will not solve this!!)
- does root matter -> same as above, if the root package modifies any original files then yes, otherwise no
- unlocked bootloader -> No, doesn't matter
- S-On/S-Off -> No, doesn't matter
I may have forgotten a few things, so feel free to add anything I missed
@nkk71 Hey hope you now can help me out to solve my problem:
I have downloaded the new software version and when I try to make the update it fails.
When I do accept it takes me to the custom recovery and am not able to instal as you can see on the attached screens.