TWRP for Nexus 6 and 9 Available, Unofficial CM12 Alpha for HTC Explorer! – XDA TV

Team Win Recovery Project for the Nexus 6 and Nexus … more

Jolla Tablet Announced: The Second Sailfish OS Device

A little over a year ago, Jolla released its first smartphone with the brand new Jolla … more

Android One Devices Get Unofficial CM12 Port

Android One was initially announced right before Android Lollipop. By releasing these cheap, yet … more

WhatsApp Decides to Protect Your Data

When Facebook bought WhatsApp for the absurdly large sum of $19bn back in February, they took the tech … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Install Null or upgrade to Tizen?

OP maazster

14th June 2014, 06:23 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 829

4,304 posts
I would go tizen if I can have 60 second recoding. I use it quite often. The root hack version isn't good enough for me. So for now null is better for me. I also like being to Bluetooth files to my gear with null.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
28th June 2014, 09:45 PM   |  #12  
Flag City of HOPE TO BE AN RC next year.
Thanks Meter: 1,097

1,703 posts
More
Curious
I just got my Gear a week ago and have been loving it running Null. I am curious about Tizen but was wondering if anyone is working on anything with it yet? e.g. Custom ROM's, etc. I've also heard through the rumor mills that Tizen may offer a solution for devices running AOSP ROM's? I am currently running infmaous ROM on my Note 3, but want to get back to an AOSP like CM11.

Thanks
22nd July 2014, 08:22 AM   |  #13  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 39

479 posts
More
Tizen Upgrade
Hi,

How do I upgrade from stock to Tizen?

Is it available in Australia yet?
22nd July 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #14  

1,703 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbat

Hi,

How do I upgrade from stock to Tizen?

Is it available in Australia yet?

I assume you have Gear 1 since you don't have Tizen stock loaded?
@radekklamzynski7 has this up on XDA...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2767465

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th July 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
After messing arround with Tizen for a while I am really sick of it.

I am not able to make all the features work on a non Samsung phone.
When I get one thing running, something else is broken. I have reinstalled everything for at least 5-7 times.

- Sometimes I am able to install apps from Galaxy store, sometimes not
- After a while notification (which is the only real usefull feature of the watch) crashes after receiving the first notification until I reboot or reinstall the phone
- There is no screen which shows notifications on the watch face
- All calls are automatically routed to the phone first: My phone is ringing and I start running arround and search for the watch to be able to pick up the phone

I am thinking of selling the watch on Ebay.

Or probably I'll play arround with Null first, to get rid of those crappy Samsung apps at least.

If I am lucky somebody is making an Android Wear port in the meantime.
Last edited by Moneyhead; 25th July 2014 at 03:58 PM.
28th October 2014, 10:53 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadaemon

Tizen is the way to go if you are using a non-Samsung phone and want to use the watch for what it was meant to be. So much more works out of the box and many of null's features were more of a novelty.

Playing roms on your watch isnt very viable due to the screen and battery life.
Browsing the internet on a watch is cool for a few minutes

Tizen allows notifications to work out of the box, and they work with almost everything. By default, this didn't work in null.
Tizen allows the "find my phone" feature to work. This also didn't work in null on my phone
Tizen gives the watch a mini version of the exercise app. Null doesn't have this, but you can sideload other apps.
Tizen gives the phone a standalone music player that can also play through bluetooth headphones. Null didn't do that for me.
Tizen also supports sleep tracking.
The battery life in Tizen is much better.

The Tizen upgrade is more than just an improvement in battery life.

The only thing I miss from the android experience is the unlocked kernel that allowed me to go from 800mhz single core to 1.6ghz dual core, the 15 second time limit for video being raised to 60 second and the mod that allows offline voice commands to work. Using null for much else lead to a major drain in battery life that caused me to leave my gear at home more often than not. With the Tizen upgrade the gear is now seriously being used as a tool rather than a toy to tinker with.

Of course, I totally understand why people running null say that Tizen makes it a toy and null makes their watch a real tool, but for me not having to waste time getting my smart watch setup was important. Out of the box, it's everything I need without having to waste too much time troubleshooting.

Sorry may be a stupid question, but I flashed my S4 i9505 to GPE 4.4.4. How do i make it work with my Gear 1 which is now tizen?
28th October 2014, 12:11 PM   |  #17  

1,703 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacman20

Sorry may be a stupid question, but I flashed my S4 i9505 to GPE 4.4.4. How do i make it work with my Gear 1 which is now tizen?

Go back to android on your gear 1. Lol. I couldn't tizen to play nice with anything but Samsung ROM with gear software.
28th October 2014, 01:16 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaflop666

Go back to android on your gear 1. Lol. I couldn't tizen to play nice with anything but Samsung ROM with gear software.

Thank you. I was already considering it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread