Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Verizon now charging $300 for non 0/0 que

OP richsapf

28th October 2014, 04:11 AM   |  #11  
Flag Santa Cruz
Thanks Meter: 11

111 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsapf

I've had my g3 for over a week now and love it. I just did not use my physical keyboard on my D4 for the last couple weeks I had it to get use to not having them. Now with a 5.5" screen there is lots of space to type on the screen.
Everything is so much faster and smoother, it was way worth it for me.
I still can't find the secret menu code dial #. I have tried a few but doesn't work. Getting ready I'm getting ready to ioroot.

Rich

That's the phone I want. I spent many hours pouring over every review under the sun and the G3 has everything I want in a new device. I went to Verizon today, SBF'd D4 in hand, only to learn that no, you can't jump into Verizon Edge whenever you want... you need to be eligible for an upgrade anyway (which defeats the purpose of Edge, but whatever) or go for the "manager-approved accessories bundle" which is like $130 for some accessories I probably would never use.

Ugh. Frustrating. And I went back after work only to find 10+ people in the queue ahead of me. So, now I'm re-rooting and loading up the (life-saving) backup image I made right before SBFing. Bah.

Tomorrow I'm headed back there to see if there's something else they can do for me... the biggest thing now is that my earpiece is fuzzing out yet again. I have insurance on this phone so I could have them send me a FRU for free, but it's only a matter of time before *that* one fuzzes out.... and my upgrade isn't until February 19.

Bollocks. Well, maybe I'll figure out what to do after a few beers.
28th October 2014, 06:57 AM   |  #12  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

85 posts
More
Hi Khiraji,
If verizon, for sure, will send you a free FRU, then maybe that D4 will be okay, or no worse, than what you have now until Feb. I always had really good sound from the speakers on the three Droid 4s I had. 1st one camera died, & 2nd one keyboard keys. 3rd one no probs for 1 year.
But then the D4 you exchange will have a que 0/1or? for root count costing you $300?

Can the que in the recovery menu nowadays be reset back to 0/0? I'm unclear on that.

Rich
28th October 2014, 08:50 AM   |  #13  
Flag Santa Cruz

111 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsapf

Can the que in the recovery menu nowadays be reset back to 0/0? I'm unclear on that.

That I'm not sure of - but the last time this happened, the unit I sent in when my FRU came had definitely before been rooted (SBF'd completely back to stock first, of course). They didn't ding me $300... knock on wood for the same results this time...
28th October 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #14  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

85 posts
More
I'm kinda curious what your "que score" is before & after flashing back to stock. Actually I can test myself now since my D4 is no longer under contract.. any suggestions for a good Rom? I never reserched any for the D4 like I did for the D3. I used Eclipse?..omg. over 2 years sinced I've flashed/rooted.

With this G3, I rooted toot-sweet. Mainly because kit-kat will not even let you rename files on your sd card. Oh yah, it is still at kit-kat with update to lollipop rumered for early 2015. I really love this work of art though, with an 801 Snapdragon quad core, & can you believe 3gigs of Ram. Im not a gamer so its almost overkill. I can't see needing, for me, the 805cpu. The UI is to me intuitive. But this is all coming from a biased of my new toy and not even touching any other phone to compare.
29th October 2014, 04:42 AM   |  #15  
Flag Santa Cruz

111 posts
More
Just got home from the VZW store, a FRU D4 is on its way via FedEx Overnight no check was done on my phone other than just a brief visual inspection. I've since re-rooted and am waiting for my safestrap backup to re-load, but I'll let you know what the que score is once I SBF back to stock to send it back in a couple of days.

That's awesome to hear about the G3 - I could have gotten one today, but it would have meant forking over ~$180 for an accessories pack full of stuff I'd never use (bluetooth speaker, etc.). So, I'll wait... as long as the earpiece on this replacement unit doesn't fuzz out again, I can stand another 4 months.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread