3A charger for the Z2

Search This thread

.LEONARDO.

Aug 24, 2011
Manaus
Xperia Z2 charging time

EP880 1.5A!

I live in Brazil, but bought in another country. In Brazil is EP800 with 0.8A, right ?

Yes, that's right. Xperia Z2 D6543 made in Brazil comes with the EP800 charger, 850mA. I guess it must be to reduce costs, as this charger is manufactured locally too. But it's a shame to include this charger in the box with a 3200mA device. I had an Xperia Arc made in Brazil too which comes with the same EP800 850mA charger, but it's battery capacity is only 1500mA. Fortunately, I owned a Xperia Z (imported, cause in Brazil Sony sold only ZQ model) before the Z2 and it came with EP880 1500mA charger.

In my tests, it seems to charge 30% per hour, while the EP800 23% per hour. (battery between 20% and 80%). I was expecting the EP800 to be much slower than that.

Accordingly to phone arena ( http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z2-Review_id3695/page/4) xperia z2 full charge time is 212 minutes, 3h32min. Samsung Galaxy S5 charges it's 2800mA battery in 122 minutes (2h02min) 1h30min less then Z2 to perform a full charge. Although s5 battery has 15% less capacity compared to Z2, that not the only reason why it charges faster. If we divide mA per minute, s5 charges 23mA per minute while Z2 would charge only 15mA per minute. So it means S5 is 54% faster. We also have to consider that Samsung charger output power is 2A, 34% more powerful than Z2 1,5A. Maybe the quick charge 2.0 technology explains that difference. I'm wondering if that Samsung charger would charge Z2 faster or if it's limited to maximum 1,5A and it would have no difference....

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

blyndfyre

May 26, 2013
Calgary
Maybe, IF a charger that put out 3A into a single USB port existed. Granted, Oppo uses a 7 pin implementation for their charging tech, and I know a 3A charger could be made in a garage with various parts and a little Flux but... THERE IS NO COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE PHONE CHARGER WHOSE OUTPUT IS 3 AMPS. I don't know how else to say it guys.

Wrong.

I have been using this for all my devices, smartphones and tablets alike:
https://www.codale.com/index.jsp?path=product&part=3459565

It definitely charges faster, I'll time it next time on my Z2 from near 0% to 100% and report back.

And some clarification to all the people claiming 3A will damage the phone; just because the charger output is rated 3A does not mean it has to push 3A. It means it can handle the output of anywhere between 0-3A at the specified voltage without risk of damage to the charger/usb port.

Like I said my Z2 charges much faster on this 3A rated usb port than the stock charger. I've used it 20 times on my Z2 already, and 100's of times on other devices. None of my devices were damaged, and none of them have lessened battery life.

Please remember that is the device which determines the amount of current draw, not the charger. Most circuitry is designed to allow it's maximum current draw not to exceed the capacity of it's conductors. It's highly likely I'm not even drawing 3A from my charger.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Sep 20, 2011
Londrina
Yes, that's right. Xperia Z2 D6543 made in Brazil comes with the EP800 charger, 850mA. I guess it must be to reduce costs, as this charger is manufactured locally too. But it's a shame to include this charger in the box with a 3200mA device. I had an Xperia Arc made in Brazil too which comes with the same EP800 850mA charger, but it's battery capacity is only 1500mA. Fortunately, I owned a Xperia Z (imported, cause in Brazil Sony sold only ZQ model) before the Z2 and it came with EP880 1500mA charger.

In my tests, it seems to charge 30% per hour, while the EP800 23% per hour. (battery between 20% and 80%). I was expecting the EP800 to be much slower than that.

Accordingly to phone arena ( http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z2-Review_id3695/page/4) xperia z2 full charge time is 212 minutes, 3h32min. Samsung Galaxy S5 charges it's 2800mA battery in 122 minutes (2h02min) 1h30min less then Z2 to perform a full charge. Although s5 battery has 15% less capacity compared to Z2, that not the only reason why it charges faster. If we divide mA per minute, s5 charges 23mA per minute while Z2 would charge only 15mA per minute. So it means S5 is 54% faster. We also have to consider that Samsung charger output power is 2A, 34% more powerful than Z2 1,5A. Maybe the quick charge 2.0 technology explains that difference. I'm wondering if that Samsung charger would charge Z2 faster or if it's limited to maximum 1,5A and it would have no difference....

Excellent! I greatly appreciate the testing and the information provided by you!

I also had a Xperia Arc and it came with the EP800 and also had a Xperia Z and it came with a EP880! It really is a lot of slutty Sony Brazil send the device with a weaker charger!

The Driv3r

Jan 24, 2014
Does anyone know if we can get a 3amp mag charger. I get direct cable is faster but I absolutely hate using the ports. The mag charger is one of the best features of sony devices.

espe0

May 4, 2012
hi

I'm using 2A charger from toshiba encore tab ...and its fast as hell via magnetic and usb charging port

.LEONARDO.

Aug 24, 2011
Manaus
You're welcome! Well, despite the long charging time, one thing I already noticed sony really improved compared to Xperia Z. Battery discharging time sometimes seems to be 2x longer

Sent from my D6543 using XDA Free mobile app

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007
Wrong.

I have been using this for all my devices, smartphones and tablets alike:
https://www.codale.com/index.jsp?path=product&part=3459565

It definitely charges faster, I'll time it next time on my Z2 from near 0% to 100% and report back.

And some clarification to all the people claiming 3A will damage the phone; just because the charger output is rated 3A does not mean it has to push 3A. It means it can handle the output of anywhere between 0-3A at the specified voltage without risk of damage to the charger/usb port.

Like I said my Z2 charges much faster on this 3A rated usb port than the stock charger. I've used it 20 times on my Z2 already, and 100's of times on other devices. None of my devices were damaged, and none of them have lessened battery life.

Please remember that is the device which determines the amount of current draw, not the charger. Most circuitry is designed to allow it's maximum current draw not to exceed the capacity of it's conductors. It's highly likely I'm not even drawing 3A from my charger.

WRONG :laugh:

This socket is 1.5A per port; 3A total is what the spec says. You can contact the manufacturer to confirm.

By your understanding of the spec, here is a 4A socket - http://enerlites.com/61501-tr2usb.html

If what you say is even remotely true, why not just make a 10A or 20A usb socket.

.LEONARDO.

Aug 24, 2011
Manaus
Just finished another battery charging time test on my Xperia Z2. This time I tested how long would it takes for a full charge, from 0% to 100%, while turned OFF... Using EP880 1.5A Sony charger.

And I really can't understand the results.. . It took 215 minutes to completely charge the battery. That's almost the same as the Phone Arena test results. (212 min)

My doubt is if they tested with the phone turned on, or maybe airplane mode, or completely turned off. If they tested it turned on... It would mean that it makes no difference to shut down your phone before charging... Which makes no sense.

But the results seems to be the same compared to when I tested it turned on, in airplane mode, 15% in 30 minutes. But I tested it for only 30 min to calculate this charge rate, with battery level below 80%.

So maybe a full charge with the phone on.. could take even more than 3h30min, considering it seems to charge slowly above 80%.

I hope Samsung 2A charger can help me to charge it fast.

Sent from my D6543 using XDA Free mobile app

Haldi4803

For correct Charging Benchmarks please read this post :)

With Qualcomm Trepn Profiler you can measure "Remaining Battery" (set poling rate to 10'000ms to measuer every 10 seconds!)

because as you can see in this graphic (made via Microsoft Excel from the .csv Trepn Profiler Log) the Charging ist only up to 90% with the same speed, and drops heavly after 90%

5iWFH81.png

So either you only charge up to 90% (or better 80%, just to be sure) or you take a log with trepn profiler :)

If what you say is even remotely true, why not just make a 10A or 20A usb socket.
One COULD create such a thing, but A: no device(smartphone... 5V) could charge with such high current B: The cables would probalbly start to melt!
Using Doomkernel and FastCharge settings you sourself can chose if your phone should charge with 750mA, 1000mA or 1500mA.
Yes! It is the Device's choice!

Last edited:

V4LKyR

Jun 6, 2014
For correct Charging Benchmarks please read this post :)

With Qualcomm Trepn Profiler you can measure "Remaining Battery" (set poling rate to 10'000ms to measuer every 10 seconds!)

because as you can see in this graphic (made via Microsoft Excel from the .csv Trepn Profiler Log) the Charging ist only up to 90% with the same speed, and drops heavly after 90%

5iWFH81.png

So either you only charge up to 90% (or better 80%, just to be sure) or you take a log with trepn profiler :)

One COULD create such a thing, but A: no device(smartphone... 5V) could charge with such high current B: The cables would probalbly start to melt!
Using Doomkernel and FastCharge settings you sourself can chose if your phone should charge with 750mA, 1000mA or 1500mA.

Could you please share this "Trepn Profiler" apk somehow? Can't download it from Qualcomm's page, it says I needa be a developer or own Qualcomm.

I'm planning to design a custom DC power source outputs with 5V and 5A max. with auto-adjust Sometime... Let's see what happens then.

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007

'The Device' you are referring to the z2 but the usb port is universal! The current limiting logic has to be on the charger side.

Croize

Mar 5, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 11
I dont think its good if battery charge faster, Faster = bad, So i like it slower cause it will probably have a good effect longer in a long term =)

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007
Nope, I'm positive the device states the maximum current.

Not trying to perpetuate the argument.

Yes, the device can specify a max input current.

BUT the current limiting logic must to be present on the charging device. Imagine you plug your external hard drive or your external battery pack to the charger that is constantly outputting 10A.

The charger has the universal connector.

Haldi4803

Not trying to perpetuate the argument.

Yes, the device can specify a max input current.

BUT the current limiting logic must to be present on the charging device. Imagine you plug your external hard drive or your external battery pack to the charger that is constantly outputting 10A.

The charger has the universal connector.

It's complicated to debate in a non native language :) But i agree with you on that.

Yes the electronic which does the current limiting is in the Charger, but the commands on how much the device would like to pull comes from the device.
If the device asks for 10A the cable will melt, but it's posible.

V4LKyR

Jun 6, 2014
Nope. Z2 has an internal current regulator circuit (an IC) so, no matter how many amperes your charger provides, it can only give the amount of current your Z2 demands. So if I have 5V 100A charger, it doesn't mean that my Z2 will be charged in 10 mins. The charger will provide the amount of current Z2 demands.

However, the current amount your Z2 demands may change. I'm using a regular chinese 5V 3A charger with a magnetic cable and my Z2 charges faster than the 5V 1.5A original Sony charger.

So, long story short, the phone decides the input current while charging, not the charger.

A|ex

Oct 8, 2008
Hong Kong
Has anyone managed to get close to 3A charge rate? the highest i can get to is 2.1A when measured. That is using a data/ power cable FRiEQ, If i use a just power/ charge cable i can just about get to 2A. The sony cable i got with the phone bombs out at much lower.

tsog83

Oct 31, 2014
A little summary, But is QC2.0 - 3A

Has anyone managed to get close to 3A charge rate? the highest i can get to is 2.1A when measured. That is using a data/ power cable FRiEQ, If i use a just power/ charge cable i can just about get to 2A. The sony cable i got with the phone bombs out at much lower.

First off, how much power a phone pulls is up to the phone. If I have a 5A charger connected, it doesn't mean that the phone is going to have 5A shoved in to it. The key word is PULL. The phone is the load and it pulls the power. So if the onboard charging circuit on the phone says I can pull 3A and the charger is delivering 3A then great. Also generally the a 'smart' circuit will not try to pull more than the charger is delivering (so unlikely the cable / charger will burn up)

Second, Generally speaking charging a LiPo battery means generating heat. Charging it faster means generating more heat. LiPo battery efficiency and life is affected negatively when heated up. batteryuniversity is a wealth of knowledge for this kind of stuff.

Third, You can get one of these to actually check the Amp flow in real time over USB. It's awesome and it works.
[Edit. Unfortunatley I'm new and can't post links - but go to aliexpress and search for 'usb+amperemeter']

Fourth, Qualcomm spec for QC 2.0 is being highlighted by a bunch of phone manufacturers now - Moto X (2nd Gen) being one of them. To settle the debate up here:
[Edit. can't post links :(, so remove the spaces..
www . qualcomm . com/products/snapdragon/devices/all?manufacturer=Sony
Clearly Sony Z2 has QC 2.0.

BUT does anyone know what the QC 2.0 means? Is QC 2.0 the same as a 3A current?? Im loosing my mind, because QC2.0 charger are 60 dollars and more, while i can get a reasonable 3A output charger (from single USB) for much much less..

Is QC2.0 the same as a 3A output USB charger?

Reactions: Galu93

se1000

Feb 14, 2011
First off, how much power a phone pulls is up to the phone. If I have a 5A charger connected, it doesn't mean that the phone is going to have 5A shoved in to it. The key word is PULL. The phone is the load and it pulls the power. So if the onboard charging circuit on the phone says I can pull 3A and the charger is delivering 3A then great. Also generally the a 'smart' circuit will not try to pull more than the charger is delivering (so unlikely the cable / charger will burn up)

Second, Generally speaking charging a LiPo battery means generating heat. Charging it faster means generating more heat. LiPo battery efficiency and life is affected negatively when heated up. batteryuniversity is a wealth of knowledge for this kind of stuff.

Third, You can get one of these to actually check the Amp flow in real time over USB. It's awesome and it works.
[Edit. Unfortunatley I'm new and can't post links - but go to aliexpress and search for 'usb+amperemeter']

Fourth, Qualcomm spec for QC 2.0 is being highlighted by a bunch of phone manufacturers now - Moto X (2nd Gen) being one of them. To settle the debate up here:

BUT does anyone know what the QC 2.0 means? Is QC 2.0 the same as a 3A current?? Im loosing my mind, because QC2.0 charger are 60 dollars and more, while i can get a reasonable 3A output charger (from single USB) for much much less..

This man speaks the truth.

QC2.0 uses 9v or 12v instead of 5v

Haldi4803

Qualcomm's QuickCharge 2.0 can use 9V for charging!
read more here

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Then why don't we have 3A chargers sent with the phone and the "Charge your phone in only 60 minutes" Feature ?

Ask Sony ;)
    Hi Friend!
    Yes. :(

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

EP880 1.5A!

I live in Brazil, but bought in another country. In Brazil is EP800 with 0.8A, right ?

Hi Friend.
    Yes. :(
    Xperia Z2 charging time

EP880 1.5A!

A little summary, But is QC2.0 - 3A