[Nook HD/HD+] EMMC CM11 install - updated 08/17

OP verygreen

27th October 2014, 12:27 AM   |  #2101  
Thanks Meter: 596

179 posts
I sent requests for review to verygreen for the zram patches. There are 10 total and I always feel like I'm spamming someone because he has just received 10 separate emails about this. It makes me feel pushy but that's how gerrit works. He does respond to review requests but he hasn't been spending as much time with his nooks as he used to. I think being a supercomputer design engineer takes a lot of his time.
We'll see if he approves and merges them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drmarble For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th October 2014, 04:41 PM   |  #2102  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 47

342 posts
More
Running CM11 with ART enabled, I've noticed that occasionally if I pull down the notification shade then the screen goes haywire: covered with lines of multicoloured "snow" everywhere apart from the notification shade. IThe screen reverts to normal when I close the notificatin shade. Has anyone else seen this? Nothing seems to crash but it is more than a little disturbing...
28th October 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #2103  
Flag Fountain Inn, SC
Thanks Meter: 66

263 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstubbs

Running CM11 with ART enabled, I've noticed that occasionally if I pull down the notification shade then the screen goes haywire: covered with lines of multicoloured "snow" everywhere apart from the notification shade. IThe screen reverts to normal when I close the notificatin shade. Has anyone else seen this? Nothing seems to crash but it is more than a little disturbing...

Try,
System Settings > Developer Options > Disable HW Overlays.

You have to re-check after ever reboot, but worth the effort.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk
28th October 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #2104  
Flag Middlesbrough
Thanks Meter: 283

411 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGen

Try,
System Settings > Developer Options > Disable HW Overlays.

You have to re-check after ever reboot, but worth the effort.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.h...t.nomoreverlay
The Following User Says Thank You to Listy2021 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #2105  
Thanks Meter: 20

151 posts
My first almost eMMC failure
I woke up this morning to find my HD+ wouldn't reconnect to the Wi-Fi. That used to happen a lot in previous CM 11 nightlies (say, about two months ago) but I haven't seen that in quite a while now. Anyway, the usual fix was to turn off Wi-Fi and then turn Wi-Fi on.

Turning Wi-Fi off and on didn't work - the HD+ just stalled at the "Turning on Wi-Fi" message. I've had this problem a couple times with recent nightlies and a reboot has always fixed it. So I rebooted.

When I rebooted, my HD+ just stayed at the boot screen. Not good.

I went into TWRP and wiped the /cache. No change. Then I wiped Dalvik. NC. Then I tried "Fix Permissions. NC. Then I decided to look around with File Manager.

There was nothing to see in File Manager! No folders or files showing in the list! (This mysteriously came back later, after I removed and reinstalled the SD card, but I still couldn't boot.) It looked like one of my partitions was hosed with some kind of file system error.

Naturally I hadn't made a nandroid backup since last week. I did restore the /boot partition from that week old backup, but NC. (I didn't think it would fix anything, since I could boot. But I tried anyway.)

Then I made a backup of my current (corrupted?) setup, thinking I might be able to restore that image and fix a file system error. TWRP made the backup but first reported in red letters: "E:\failed to load package". That's probably telling me something.

Instead of restoring from last week's backup, which would have been my fallback plan, I downloaded the latest nightly on another computer and transferred it to the SD card. Then I flashed it.

Fortunately, it appears that my data partition was fine, since the nightly flashed okay. So perhaps /system had been hosed?

I'm hoping this isn't an indicator of failing memory. I'm just now coming up on the end of my one year warranty! This was the nightly with KSM enabled. Can CM 11 itself cause a file system problem?
Last edited by PMikeP; 29th October 2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Just remembered that this was after KSM
29th October 2014, 08:53 PM   |  #2106  
Thanks Meter: 16

61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMikeP

I woke up this morning to find my HD+ wouldn't reconnect to the Wi-Fi. That used to happen a lot in previous CM 11 nightlies (say, about two months ago) but I haven't seen that in quite a while now. Anyway, the usual fix was to turn off Wi-Fi and then turn Wi-Fi on.

Turning Wi-Fi off and on didn't work - the HD+ just stalled at the "Turning on Wi-Fi" message. I've had this problem a couple times with recent nightlies and a reboot has always fixed it. So I rebooted.

I went into TWRP and wiped the /cache. No change. Then I wiped Dalvik. NC. Then I tried "Fix Permissions. NC. Then I decided to look around with File Manager.

There was nothing to see in File Manager! No folders or files showing in the list! (This mysteriously came back later, after I removed and reinstalled the SD card, but I still couldn't boot.) It looked like one of my partitions was hosed with some kind of file system error.

Naturally I hadn't made a nandroid backup since last week. I did restore the /boot partition from that week old backup, but NC. (I didn't think it would fix anything, since I could boot. But I tried anyway.)

Then I made a backup of my current (corrupted?) setup, thinking I might be able to restore that image and fix a file system error. TWRP made the backup but first reported in red letters: "E:\failed to load package". That's probably telling me something.

Instead of restoring from last week's backup, which would have been my fallback plan, I downloaded the latest nightly on another computer and transferred it to the SD card. Then I flashed it.

Fortunately, it appears that my data partition was fine, since the nightly flashed okay. So perhaps /system had been hosed?

I'm hoping this isn't an indicator of failing memory. I'm just now coming up on the end of my one year warranty! This was the nightly with KSM enabled. Can CM 11 itself cause a file system problem?

I have no idea about what may cause this, but my old SGS also went caput once when running a CM11 nightly.
My case was actually a bit worse, I had to restore stock firmware and start from pre-scratch after a few soft bricks.
After that I kept it on CM10.2.1 stable for a good while until I was ready to flash CM11-M11.
I don't really believe it's related to CM version, but it never happened again on stable/milestone CM.
Yesterday, 11:12 PM   |  #2107  
Thanks Meter: 13

147 posts
Running 10/28 and no more systemui FC on boot
Today, 04:51 AM   |  #2108  
Thanks Meter: 20

151 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMikeP

. . .

. . .

It could be the nut behind the wheel.

I flashed the latest nightly today and then watched stuff in catlog.

I kept getting an error with cutilis not being able to write a trace file. So I did what I did last time. In true ignorant hacker fashion (in the old sense of the word) I went into file manager and, without understanding any of the implications, I renamed a library file that went by the name of "libcutils.so" (Or something like that.)

Shortly after that, the wi-fi stopped working, and when I rebooted, -bam - couldn't get past the boot screen.
Today, 11:26 AM   |  #2109  
Thanks Meter: 21

138 posts
I flashed the 1028 Nightly and my Nook HD+ performed badly - much slower.
Switched back to the 1025 Nightly and my Nook HD+ works great.

Both instances I just wiped both caches.

No idea why -- just my observation.

Carl

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm11
Previous Thread Next Thread