Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[how to] lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required)

OP scotty1223

6th November 2014, 07:52 PM   |  #191  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
105 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1223

It's been discussed many times. I suggest using the search button.

I haven't found a succinct answer. If you could take the time to explain that would be nice. I'm trying to plan to root my m8 so that I can unroot it and exchange it for a new phone without worry of getting rejected due to voiding the contract. I'm on t-mobile
6th November 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #192  
Behold_this's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 3,688
 
2,254 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankerton

I haven't found a succinct answer. If you could take the time to explain that would be nice. I'm trying to plan to root my m8 so that I can unroot it and exchange it for a new phone without worry of getting rejected due to voiding the contract. I'm on t-mobile

So let me get this straight, you unlocked BL, which you knew may potentially void your warranty (you knew this because there are several warnings before you do it), and now you want somebody to coach you on how to defraud t-mobile to get a warranty replacement on that potentially voided warranty?

Well, I don't think people should have to hold your hand for that. The information you want is out there. Just use the search function. You should have been responsible and understood what you were getting into in the first place. You knew you were potentially voiding your warranty and now you want a way to guarantee you get it back, well, figure it out on your own. Or you could take your lumps and send it in unlocked and see what happens. T-mobile is usually pretty generous on warranty replacements no need to take advantage.
6th November 2014, 08:00 PM   |  #193  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
105 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behold_this

So let me get this straight, you unlocked BL, which you knew may potentially void your warranty (you knew this because there are several warnings before you do it), and now you want somebody to coach you on how to defraud t-mobile to get a warranty replacement on that potentially voided warranty?

Well, I don't think people should have to hold your hand for that. The information you want is out there. Just use the search function. You should have been responsible and understood what you were getting into in the first place. You knew you were potentially voiding your warranty and now you want a way to guarantee you get it back, well, figure it out on your own. Or you could take your lumps and send it in unlocked and see what happens. T-mobile is usually pretty generous on warranty replacements no need to take advantage.

Dude chill out, I haven't done anything yet. I'm still stock. Just trying to understand everything. Thanks for your pointless response though, really made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
6th November 2014, 08:01 PM   |  #194  
Behold_this's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 3,688
 
2,254 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankerton

Dude chill out, I haven't done anything yet. I'm still stock. Just trying to understand everything. Thanks for your pointless response though, really made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Seeing people actively trying to defraud companies doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy, so... sorry, not sorry.
6th November 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #195  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
105 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behold_this

Seeing people actively trying to defraud companies doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy, so... sorry, not sorry.

get off your high horse, man. I'm not trying to screw them over. I want to give them a perfectly working stock-like device, but until then I want to get rid of the bloatware, it is freezing up my phone, especially dot view. Cant we all just get along and win-win?
6th November 2014, 08:51 PM   |  #196  
Antagonist42's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bolton
Thanks Meter: 204
 
519 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankerton

Can someone explain the point of this? If we have to use htcdev to unlock in the first place, to then get S-OFF, so that we can then do this, then what is the point? Is there a way to get s-OFF without htcdev in the first place? So then why would you ever unlock? Thank you

Basically ...

Unlocked Bootloader - let's you flash a ROM, edited system etc. Only a part of the storage used by the whole handset.

S-OFF - let's you rewrite to 100% of the storage, including what would normally be unseen and unknown by an everyday handset user.

Sent from my B1-730HD using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes