Droid Bionic on Straight Talk?

OP Cap'n Jazz

29th October 2014, 06:05 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 2

7 posts
Above and Beyond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmaleto

Here's the ROM I'm currently using. I literally install this thing with safe strap along with the pa gapps modular micro and just use it. No editing files, no thing. Just use it.

Wow! This is above and beyond! Truly thankful for this guide. I'm fairly familiar with ROMs in general and putting Safestrap on the Bionic... but the fact that you hand-edited the PA ROM and provided a link... I deserve not such service!

Will attempt a flash tonight and let you know. Still plan to keep stock 232 ICS leak, since it will never get used once PA is installed! Will reply tomorrow if I get everything working!

Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmaleto

a) You'll want to install SafeStrap or something similar (I've only got experience with SafeStrap personally and understand the developer has suspended his project from future updates but still works for me)

What version of Safestrap are you running? I installed 3.73, and once installed, my stock ICS 232 gets stuck on the boot animation forever. FXZ back to 905 and then update to 232 to get back into ICS...

I dunno, maybe I'm making a big deal out of wanting to keep the path back to gingerbread. I should probably just bite the bullet and go up to stock JB first as you mentioned...
The Following User Says Thank You to gully52 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2014, 03:04 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 6

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gully52

Wow! This is above and beyond! Truly thankful for this guide. I'm fairly familiar with ROMs in general and putting Safestrap on the Bionic... but the fact that you hand-edited the PA ROM and provided a link... I deserve not such service!

Will attempt a flash tonight and let you know. Still plan to keep stock 232 ICS leak, since it will never get used once PA is installed! Will reply tomorrow if I get everything working!

Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

What version of Safestrap are you running? I installed 3.73, and once installed, my stock ICS 232 gets stuck on the boot animation forever. FXZ back to 905 and then update to 232 to get back into ICS...

I dunno, maybe I'm making a big deal out of wanting to keep the path back to gingerbread. I should probably just bite the bullet and go up to stock JB first as you mentioned...

For some reason I distinctly remember their being a link between the stock rom, and those installed in rom slots. I'm currently using 3.7.2. I also THINK I recall that a while back when I wanted to use SafeStrap 3.5 I only could do so if I upgrade to JB. I can't find any documentation to back these up so take it with a grain of salt. Personally, I'm one who upgrades and never looks back so maybe I'm just biased haha

(P.S. your eyes do not deceive you, my username changed from Plasmaleto to Dailen, special request made to XDA webmasters!)
Last edited by Dailen; 29th October 2014 at 03:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dailen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #13  

11 posts
I've made a tool to convert Bionic ROMS to GSM ready if anyone would like to give it a shot I'm likely to move or relocate this at some point btw

http://dailen.bitnamiapp.com/roms/convert.php

Relocated:
http://dailen.net/roms/convert.php
Last edited by Dailen; 12th November 2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Changed url
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dailen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2014, 06:46 PM   |  #14  

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailen

For some reason I distinctly remember their being a link between the stock rom, and those installed in rom slots. I'm currently using 3.7.2. I also THINK I recall that a while back when I wanted to use SafeStrap 3.5 I only could do so if I upgrade to JB. I can't find any documentation to back these up so take it with a grain of salt. Personally, I'm one who upgrades and never looks back so maybe I'm just biased haha

(P.S. your eyes do not deceive you, my username changed from Plasmaleto to Dailen, special request made to XDA webmasters!)

Dailen (the artist formerly known as Plasmaleto),

I took the plunge and updated to stock JB, rooted, installed Safestrap 3.73, then installed your pre-GSM-configured version of Paranoid ROM. Rebooted, connected to wifi, got everything setup. Powered down, inserted my T-Mobile SIM card, and voila! Full HSPA signal! 5.01mb/sec download, 1.22mb/sec upload. Outgoing calls work! Incoming calls work! Data works! Super cool! Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-29-11-38-26.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	2990335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-29-11-42-49.png
Views:	37
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2990336  
The Following User Says Thank You to gully52 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #15  

11 posts
Congrats! Glad that worked for ya!
6th November 2014, 03:57 AM   |  #16  

7 posts
Quote:

I've made a tool to convert Bionic ROMS to GSM ready if anyone would like to give it a shot I'm likely to move or relocate this at some point btw

http://dailen.bitnamiapp.com/roms/convert.php

Just trying your tool on the CM11 M11 release. Will let you know how it works. Do you know, if I came across some older ROMs... JB 4.2/4.3, would your tool work for them as well?

Also, since you're a Bionic nut, I don't suppose you have a version of CarbonROM sitting around from before they dropped support for the Bionic? I contacted them and was surprised to learn that they have absolutely ZERO archive of old version downloads.
7th November 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #17  

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gully52

Just trying your tool on the CM11 M11 release. Will let you know how it works. Do you know, if I came across some older ROMs... JB 4.2/4.3, would your tool work for them as well?

Also, since you're a Bionic nut, I don't suppose you have a version of CarbonROM sitting around from before they dropped support for the Bionic? I contacted them and was surprised to learn that they have absolutely ZERO archive of old version downloads.

Well in theory the answer is yes. The way my script works, it changes only what it finds. If you can send me a link to one of the roms you'd like to try I'd be happy to take a look at the build.prop and tell you for sure if anything is missing.

Also, I don't recall having the carbonrom sitting around anywhere but I see their github still has the source posted, I suppose I could always try compiling for you. I got a couple ubuntu systems running I could put to some good use. Might take a few days.
9th November 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #18  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 5

67 posts
More
Thumbs up Give it a shot!
Going to give this a shot right now on a friends Bionic. Unfortunately have to wait a few days for the Straight Talk Sim card to arrive. I'll report back.
9th November 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #19  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 5

67 posts
More
Thumbs down Think I screwed up!
Quote:

Congrats! Glad that worked for ya!

I believe I have screwed up. I tried the radiocomm program last night and everything was green for me but I didn't write to the phone. I installed the pa_targa-4.6-BETA5-20141022.GSM.zip file, and the Gapps for that ROM. When I tried to go into Radiocomm again, it comes up red when I try to read (1877). Do I still need to do that or will the phone be good to go once I pop in an AT&T sim card? Thanks, Howie
10th November 2014, 06:55 PM   |  #20  

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandg5

I believe I have screwed up. I tried the radiocomm program last night and everything was green for me but I didn't write to the phone. I installed the pa_targa-4.6-BETA5-20141022.GSM.zip file, and the Gapps for that ROM. When I tried to go into Radiocomm again, it comes up red when I try to read (1877). Do I still need to do that or will the phone be good to go once I pop in an AT&T sim card? Thanks, Howie

Radiocomm is EXTREMELY particular and I swear it only works 3 out of 5 times. I seem to recall that when I did it, it wasn't "writing" the settings properly and I had to change the USB connection type. If my current setup is any indicator, it was set to "PST USB Driver". I also recall that one time I uninstalled the bionic drivers and reinstalled them and it started working.

It's probably worth mentioning that I would connect to your phone in Radiocomm while in the stock rom if possible. There's no telling if there's some quirky specific USB driver in the rom that Radiocomm depends on. When in doubt, try a different machine. Be sure to get the Bionic USB drivers working 100% (meaning no device errors in device manager) prior to doing the radiocomm stuff.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread