Half-Life 2 and Portal Research

Have you installed any mods with our tutorials?

• Yeah, it's great!

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Not yet, but I might.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • No way, I don't understand any of this.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Mexican Pygmy

Mar 9, 2014
Bradenton
Well i know directory bind can navigate to system directories, not sure if it works yet but ill also have to try folder mount

Sent from my C6730 using XDA Free mobile app

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
A Black Mesa mod? Are you serious?:good::fingers-crossed:
Isn't it require Source SDK Base 2007? How can it work?
But even if it works, it's still take 7GB(AFAIR) of storage on it's own and with HL2 cache it takes over than 9GB.

True unfortunately. We're currently looking into launching from external storage though.

Sent from my HTC One mini using XDA Free mobile app

That's great and i wish you luck with that :fingers-crossed:

Maybe directory bind or folder mount would work, i use it for gta sa

I think not, because all mod files are installed to system storage(/data/data/***/files to be exact)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Well i know directory bind can navigate to system directories, not sure if it works yet but ill also have to try folder mount

Quoting all of these, I do have it running off of my sdcard. :p When the mod is done, I will make a guide to install mods to the sdcard as well. :)

legofan623

Dec 31, 2012
Puyallup
Cool!
BTW, did you check those script issues in Ep1 that i mentioned on previous pages? Or I'm the only one who have them?

Sent from my Nexus 7

I've been looking into it and it would require re-coding a part of the Source engine on the Shield. I'm trying to get a hold of Valve to see if we can get either more access to the code, or if they can fix it.

Reactions: kron123456789

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
And also a small update on the Black Mesa mod, I have it mostly working. Nearly 100% of the textures are working. Only problem is that NPCs essential for the storyline are still not showing up. I am not giving up all hope, however. It may be possible for me to fix on my own, or it may be something that only Valve can fix. Only time will tell. Shaping up pretty nicely though. You can see some screenshots on my Twitter (I post updates there periodically).

Sent from my Amazon Tate

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
I know they are working on this mod but this is just a bump to keep the thread alive

I've actually gone back to working on Portal: Prelude to bring that up to 100%. So far, it's at about 99%-99.5%. Also, Valve doesn't seem to want to return our emails, so I was going to email nVidia.

kron123456789

Sep 7, 2014
Well, after closer look at this i started to think that this #GreenBox is something like Valve's Orange Box, but for Nvidia Shield. This would be really great :laugh:

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
And it's still 7GB of storage. BTW, Black Mesa is using Source Engine 2007 and HL2 for Android is using Source Engine 2010(i think). Maybe that causes most of problems.
No, I think it's because the Android games are formatted for OrangeBox, like the Xbox version was. But Portal:prelude is fine. I will upload the fixed version when I get the chance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HALF LIFE 2 AND PORTAL NVIDIA SHIELD RESEARCH

The long awaited guide for all this goodness can be found here: https://pastebin.com/mNGD4Q8G (Thanks r3pwn)

INSTALLING DIFFERENT GAMES ON HALF-LIFE 2 (EP1/HL2) CLIENT HERE: http://youtu.be/pd-t2TrDtfU

Eventually I'd like this to help developers familiar to the Source engine and I port popular HL2 and Portal mods to the Shield.

IF YOU MAKE AN IMPORTANT DISCOVERY REGARDING EITHER OF THESE GAMES ON THE SHIELD, PLEASE POST YOUR DISCOVERY AND I WILL ADD IT TO THIS LIST AND CREDIT YOU FOR IT

These references cover the games at versions 23 (APK) & 22 (DATA)

Hopefully you already know how to get these files from your Shield to your PC, because I’m not covering that.

Vocabulary:

main.22.com.nvidia.valvesoftware.portal.obb – Core game data, contains Source engine core and Half-Life 2 data files

main.22.com.nvidia.valvesoftware.halflife2.obb – identical to ^

patch.22.com.nvidia.valvesoftware.portal.obb – Contains all the data files for Portal

patch.22.com.nvidia.valvesoftware.halflife2.obb – Contains only the maps for HL2 and associated files (BSP, PAT, LMP)

These files can be found in sdcard/Android/Obb, you might need to enable the viewing of hidden files in your file browser to get to them. Open them as if they were ZIP files.

Apparently you can't change or replace files directly in the .obb files because of a checksum/signature check, if you do the game will attempt to redownload the .obb file (Thanks nex86)

Custom files can be loaded from "/data/data/com.nvidia.valvesoftware.halflife2/files", but like all good things this will require your Shield to be rooted.

More will be posted when more is discovered.
    And also a small update on the Black Mesa mod, I have it mostly working. Nearly 100% of the textures are working. Only problem is that NPCs essential for the storyline are still not showing up. I am not giving up all hope, however. It may be possible for me to fix on my own, or it may be something that only Valve can fix. Only time will tell. Shaping up pretty nicely though. You can see some screenshots on my Twitter (I post updates there periodically).

Sent from my Amazon Tate
    Portal: Prelude
    Introducing the mod that really needs no introduction. I don't really want to give away any spoilers, so I'll try to keep it short and to the point.

Please note that I did not make the mod, only ported it to the SHIELD. You can find the original mod at http://www.portalprelude.com/.

I would recommend having an extra 2gb of storage space available on your SHIELD's Internal Storage. The download itself is 826mb and the installation itself is even larger. Alternatively, you could download it to your External SDCard and only extract it to the portal folder, which would save you some internal storage space.

INSTALLATION:
    - Download this file: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23622183712467400 (MD5: 66b202ac3fe296e062de8690b279abc2)
    - Follow the guide at http://r3pwn.github.io/sourcemodding.html from "What to do?" downwards. (Use the instructions for Portal modding, obviously)
    - Shoot me a PM or a Hangout telling me what you think of the port. :)

As for actually playing the game, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are REALLY good with Portals. It's pretty difficult. It had me mumbling profanities to myself on Test Chamber 1. If, however, you need a walkthrough, they are available at http://www.portalprelude.com/walkthrough.php.
    d7abbb88b904f29e4c7d1464e6efa238.jpg

A little teaser to hold you guys over...
    A Black Mesa mod? Are you serious?:good::fingers-crossed:
    Isn't it require Source SDK Base 2007? How can it work?
    But even if it works, it's still take 7GB(AFAIR) of storage on it's own and with HL2 cache it takes over than 9GB.

True unfortunately. We're currently looking into launching from external storage though.

That's great and i wish you luck with that :fingers-crossed:

Maybe directory bind or folder mount would work, i use it for gta sa

I think not, because all mod files are installed to system storage(/data/data/***/files to be exact)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quoting all of these, I do have it running off of my sdcard. :p When the mod is done, I will make a guide to install mods to the sdcard as well. :)