[Q] Ultra Power Saving Mode

Search This thread

marki555

Jul 23, 2014
Ultra power saving was presented as HW feature, so I guess it is not possible on our s4 minis.

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
Ultra power saving was presented as HW feature, so I guess it is not possible on our s4 minis.

Where did you get that information? It just a bunch of software implementation that forces touchwiz to be more battery friendly by disabling bunch of things (which is the reason what makes TW bloat and slow in the first place), more noticeably everything renders in greyscale which is taking advantage on how AMOLED works.

XxM4tzexX

marki555

Jul 23, 2014
It seems you are right, it is only SW. For example here is Ultra Power saving for Note3: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/themes-apps/xposed-s5-power-saving-mode-t2814113
However I still can't see why greyscale display would mean any power saving - you still need to turn on all R/G/B AMOLED sub-pixels to get white/grey. The only possible power save would be turning the GPU into "greyscale" which would mean that the GPU has to do less calculations. But then there is question if also our GPU supports such greyscale mode.

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
It seems you are right, it is only SW. For example here is Ultra Power saving for Note3: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/themes-apps/xposed-s5-power-saving-mode-t2814113
However I still can't see why greyscale display would mean any power saving - you still need to turn on all R/G/B AMOLED sub-pixels to get white/grey. The only possible power save would be turning the GPU into "greyscale" which would mean that the GPU has to do less calculations. But then there is question if also our GPU supports such greyscale mode.

To render in gery scale, again, it software. The GPU will render whatever the software tell to. As to why it saves power - AMOLED as people know has a very low power consumption if the display area is black (or near black). To render stuff in grey scale will simply increase the chance of display more 'black or blackish' images, hence improve battery.

I'm no developer, but simply read as regarding what UPS does - and I see nothing that can't be done if software allows to. Which most custom ROMs or additional app can do. UPS in my opinion is try to let end-user has a taste of what custom ROM/root app can do by giving them a pre-defined set of environments. Eg. limite the number of software allows in background, throttle CPU/GPU speed (too many app can do this), etc and of course the grey-scale thing. Sure custom ROMs can't do that yet, but most custom ROM has option to turn the menu to holo black - which is achieving SOME power saving.

xozeus

Feb 22, 2013
I'm not an expert of technologies but on this forum, you can find ports of UPSM for some of the S4 mini variants.
Thank to @ploiki, he succeeded in making a port for UPSM :)

Now, as far as I'm concerned, I'm waiting for the I9195 portage !

Flatric

Aug 31, 2013
There's a working UPSM in the S5 Rom for our s4 mini it's added as a a xposed module

ploiki

Feb 23, 2014
QIWI: 4890494190724799
There's a working UPSM in the S5 Rom for our s4 mini it's added as a a xposed module

Do not talk about what you do not have the slightest idea

UPSM has long been ported and works perfectly.
As well as multiwindows, toolbox, booster and all the other goodies from S5

Do not need any modules, all done at the level of program

Nothing is impossible, the main desire and ability

Flatric

Aug 31, 2013

As I tried the s5 Rom I had to activate the UPSM xposed module sorry if I missed a change there^^

elsga

Sep 23, 2014
does it's possible..

.. port upsm without flash a rom?