Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Security Policy Updates notification

OP spectrumfox

14th May 2014, 05:19 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
I (like OP), just assume they're trying to get us to "pre-approve" their updating of the SELinux policies, patching the OS, or some other hardening features to prevent future rooting (and yeah, giving them the benefit of the doubt, probably fight "real" malware too, like it claims, which I'll take my chances on for now). So, since it seems the only way to turn off the nagging notification (until we root) is to blindly accept whatever it is, I just ignore it.

Well... Except for (obviously) searching here to see if you guys are seeing the same thing.
10th September 2014, 12:27 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but is there any further information on this? I'm currently rooted and started receiving the updates. I declined them a couple times and then decided to uninstall the service with Titanium. I'm afraid that accepting the security update will ruin my current root.
10th September 2014, 01:51 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 37

120 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrezerk

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but is there any further information on this? I'm currently rooted and started receiving the updates. I declined them a couple times and then decided to uninstall the service with Titanium. I'm afraid that accepting the security update will ruin my current root.

I've accepted the updates since I got my phone, was able to root and hasn't messed with root access. A rooted phone with out of date security updates seems like a prime target to me.
10th September 2014, 02:25 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
Freeze security policy update in titanium backup
11th September 2014, 06:25 AM   |  #15  
Flag Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Meter: 51

137 posts
More
I had an update forced on my phone but it failed. I know they're trying to block my root access. How can I disable the ota update?
11th September 2014, 02:39 PM   |  #16  
Flag Long Beach, CA
Thanks Meter: 66

203 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassyn

I had an update forced on my phone but it failed. I know they're trying to block my root access. How can I disable the ota update?

To stop all OTA and Security Updates, freeze the following:

AT&T Software Update.
FWUpgrade.
LocalFOTA.
Samsung Push Service.
Security Policy Updates.
11th November 2014, 04:57 AM   |  #17  
Flag Barberton,Ohio

328 posts
Donate to Me
More
There was a way to go into /system/priv-apps to disable it. I did it when we first got our S5's but forget how to. Trying to find the thread for.you guys.
13th November 2014, 05:10 AM   |  #18  
Flag Barberton,Ohio

328 posts
Donate to Me
More
I dug and dug and think I ran across the thread. Instead of posting it I'll tell ya how to fix this. I used root browser to accomplish this, any root browser or explorer should work. Go into /system/priv-apps and look for SPDClient.Apk. I just renamed them. I added .don'tcheck at the end of them and I'm good again. So it would look like this: SPDClient.Apk.Dontcheck. I did the same for the odex file right below it as well just in case. Hope I could help!! Throw me a thanks if I did! You may also do the same thing with the system updater as well. I prefer to rename things instead of disabling them or freezing them. Makes it easier to go back and change it back later if I need to.
15th November 2014, 05:07 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
did not lose root
I updated the security policies on my rooted and unlocked G900A without any problems. The phone is still rooted and unlocked.
I used to freeze Security Policy updates with TB pro but decided to take a chance on updating them for security reason. I too see a rooted phone with old security policies as a prime target.
I didn't put automatic update on though. I prefer to come here first before applying them just to be on the safe side.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread