Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
More
Smile Root SGH-T999N (metro PCS) to SGHT999NUVUBMK7 after 4.3 update
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawesomeMike

More info

Sent from my SGH-T999N using xda app-developers app

Yes, there seems to be a root method for the SGH-T999N that I may have discovered. I synced/backed up on Google sync, when I was running on 4.1.2.
I Unintentionally updated to 4.3 not realizing root would be more difficult. I DID NOT use odin, just cause of the bricking hype. I did do some stuff with sideload, I think.

When flashing I used a 16gig micro SD card & also copied some extracted zip rom files via windows, straight to the phone.
Kept getting the error (in red) when checking for signature or something.(Ex. e: whole-file signature failed <se3>).
In the phone OS, I manually cleared cache, data, notifications, turned off & forced stop on several of the "update" & other potentially restricting security apps on the phone.

Booted into recovery via power + home + volume ? keys.
Wiped cache
Wiped all data
"Upgraded ish" from external SD card.
Reset my phone & still got a signature fail.

Did the wipe & factory default again (after another reboot)
Flashed the same file again (I think) was CWM, Cyanogen or something. d2tmo, d2mtr seem to work.
Did a Factory reset & phone went to metro logo. Did a 2nd recovery reset before 1st one could finish & the phone seemed to go to an out-of-box state/first time setup. That's where I was able to enable superuser root, the box thing & backup?

Sorry I don't remember more detail at the moment. The Google Chrome backup seemed to help a lot for reinstalling rooted apps after 4.3 update w/ factory reset.
4th February 2014, 09:38 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkcontracting

Yes, there seems to be a root method for the SGH-T999N that I may have discovered. I synced/backed up on Google sync, when I was running on 4.1.2.
I Unintentionally updated to 4.3 not realizing root would be more difficult. I DID NOT use odin, just cause of the bricking hype. I did do some stuff with sideload, I think.

When flashing I used a 16gig micro SD card & also copied some extracted zip rom files via windows, straight to the phone.
Kept getting the error (in red) when checking for signature or something.(Ex. e: whole-file signature failed <se3>).
In the phone OS, I manually cleared cache, data, notifications, turned off & forced stop on several of the "update" & other potentially restricting security apps on the phone.

Booted into recovery via power + home + volume ? keys.
Wiped cache
Wiped all data
"Upgraded ish" from external SD card.
Reset my phone & still got a signature fail.

Did the wipe & factory default again (after another reboot)
Flashed the same file again (I think) was CWM, Cyanogen or something. d2tmo, d2mtr seem to work.
Did a Factory reset & phone went to metro logo. Did a 2nd recovery reset before 1st one could finish & the phone seemed to go to an out-of-box state/first time setup. That's where I was able to enable superuser root, the box thing & backup?

Sorry I don't remember more detail at the moment. The Google Chrome backup seemed to help a lot for reinstalling rooted apps after 4.3 update w/ factory reset.

You say you think.....doesn't sound reassuring can you elaborate a bit more? I don't seem to understand what you are getting at if it works or not? I don't know if I should root my phone now or wait for 4.4.......
8th February 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 116

102 posts
More
Have you heard of/tried the Morobo + Shuame method? Worked a treat for my HTC Wildfire, Motorola Defy, and my HP Slate 7.
Seriously worth a shot if you ask me. A link to the XDA thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092349
17th November 2014, 02:19 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Know this is old, but if you're still looking for a method, I successfully rooted my T999N yesterday using ChainFire's autoroot for the t-mobile variant (the T999). I'm new so I can't post a link here, but if you google "chainfire autoroot", it'll direct you to his page where you can download the package from the list of supported devices. The package conveniently contains a version of Odin3 that you will use to flash his stuff to your phone.

Remember, the phone must be in samsung's "download mode" to receive the flash. You get this model into the mode by powering it off, then holding the HOME button, the POWER button, and the VOLUME DOWN button all at once. When the warning message comes up, you push VOLUME UP to continue, then the phone will be in download mode. You can then connect the phone to your computer and if you have the drivers installed correctly, Odin will recognize the phone and be able to send the flash. You will then need to go about disabling Samsung's security software, KNOX, before the phone will be fully rooted. There are plenty of guides on how to do that so no worries there.
Last edited by blorgus; 17th November 2014 at 02:41 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread