Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[WIP][DEV] Ubuntu Touch for Sony Xperia Z Ultra

OP KalleEatingBrain

20th November 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 141

221 posts
Actually, now that our beloved Masters of Development are getting pure AOSP sources working for our devices, I think this may be easier to do.
20th November 2014, 01:02 PM   |  #32  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 15

33 posts
More
Unfortunately, it seems that the Ubuntu Touch team is primarily focused on completing work for the BQ and Meizu phones that will be sporting Ubuntu Touch. That said, significant changes have been made to the OS that make the current porting guide completely unusable for porting. Which means people who want to port are left to do a lot of heavy lifting on their own with no support from the team working on the core of the OS because, as KalleEatingBrain mentioned, porting is just not a priority of theirs at the moment.

I've been monitoring their IRC and mailing list for relevant updates when I have time, but for the moment I've found it wouldn't be a good use of time to bang my head against Ubuntu Touch. Especially when the documentation of it is seriously outdated with no sign of being updated any time soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kohelet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2014, 01:45 PM   |  #33  
OP Member
Flag Bremen
Thanks Meter: 79

49 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohelet

Unfortunately, it seems that the Ubuntu Touch team is primarily focused on completing work for the BQ and Meizu phones that will be sporting Ubuntu Touch. That said, significant changes have been made to the OS that make the current porting guide completely unusable for porting. Which means people who want to port are left to do a lot of heavy lifting on their own with no support from the team working on the core of the OS because, as KalleEatingBrain mentioned, porting is just not a priority of theirs at the moment.

I've been monitoring their IRC and mailing list for relevant updates when I have time, but for the moment I've found it wouldn't be a good use of time to bang my head against Ubuntu Touch. Especially when the documentation of it is seriously outdated with no sign of being updated any time soon.

Thanks for having my back
It's not that I stopped working on this, but I just don't make any progess and the support for porting is really bad. In the beginning I thought Ubuntu Touch might be a big thing because of the good community, but right now Cannonical is not very community friendly to anyone who doesn't have a Nexus device. Just take a look at the supported devices: Everything stopped after maybe 5 initial builds within the first 2-3 month after launch. I talked to the guy who maintains the UT build for the Xperia Tablet Z, which is like the only device that get's any updates, and he is willingly to help, but he says that it's really hard, even for someone who might have a extended knowledge of android development and linux.

Is anyone interested in joining me for porting FireFoxOS? They have a nice and clean porting guide and use Android 4.4 sources as default, so we could use CM sources. I want to have a exotic OS on my phone, that's why I started this xD
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KalleEatingBrain For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #34  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 15

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalleEatingBrain

Thanks for having my back
It's not that I stopped working on this, but I just don't make any progess and the support for porting is really bad. In the beginning I thought Ubuntu Touch might be a big thing because of the good community, but right now Cannonical is not very community friendly to anyone who doesn't have a Nexus device. Just take a look at the supported devices: Everything stopped after maybe 5 initial builds within the first 2-3 month after launch. I talked to the guy who maintains the UT build for the Xperia Tablet Z, which is like the only device that get's any updates, and he is willingly to help, but he says that it's really hard, even for someone who might have a extended knowledge of android development and linux.

Is anyone interested in joining me for porting FireFoxOS? They have a nice and clean porting guide and use Android 4.4 sources as default, so we could use CM sources. I want to have a exotic OS on my phone, that's why I started this xD

Is ffOS stable enough to be used as a daily driver?

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

I asked around in IRC to see if they have plans to update the porting guide any time soon. One of the devs said that once they've completed work on the devices that will have UT preinstalled (the BQ and Meizu phones), he'll work on getting a new porting guide out...At that point I'll probably give porting another shot.
20th November 2014, 06:17 PM   |  #35  
Thanks Meter: 2

57 posts
With all due respect if you want an exotic os i suggest SAILFISH OS
That os is in desperate need of a large screen device like z ultra
Please consider porting SAILFISH OS
Thanks
21st November 2014, 02:54 PM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 2

57 posts
Here is a thread about the HADK

http://forum.xda-developers.com/joll...e-1-0-t2820012