Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE] Backup/Restore/Repair Your EFS Partition [LS970]

OP autoprime

21st November 2014, 03:02 PM   |  #121  
Thanks Meter: 3

54 posts
If the m9kefs1.img is radio related and it got corrupted would it be possible for someone to put theirs up here so i can see if it fixes things? Of course only if it doesn't have any personal or phone specific related info in it.
Last edited by drewss02; 21st November 2014 at 03:04 PM.
21st November 2014, 03:49 PM   |  #122  
Thanks Meter: 207

635 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewss02

If the m9kefs1.img is radio related and it got corrupted would it be possible for someone to put theirs up here so i can see if it fixes things? Of course only if it doesn't have any personal or phone specific related info in it.

Do you have your original stock backup? That should contain everything and not be corrupted if it was done correct. Try to restore that stock, or any other fully working backup and boot into it, check your cell service and if that works, use the "createFlashableZip" posted in the OP to create a new EFS backup, then you should be able to restore that.

On a side note, if any of your partitions got corrupted, it's not usually just the data that gets corrupted, it's the partition. And if the partition is corrupted, there isn't much chance to restore. A warranty replacement is usually in order if that happens.

EDIT I just remembered that your exact same scenario has happened to me before. Just flash the restore multiple times and then reboot. I swear that worked for me. I remember it saying that the feature is unavailable (or something close), is that what the error is when you try to make a call?
Last edited by dopy25; 21st November 2014 at 03:54 PM.
21st November 2014, 04:00 PM   |  #123  
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,263

1,774 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Somehow after flashing cm12 geehrc my phone stopped getting a signal so no calls and no sms. I restores my EFS and mobile data works fine but still no signal. Everything in settings/about phone/phone identity is filled in and seems ok, in network it shows sprint but no signal strength and out of service as service state. I'm not really sure what else to do to get this working again?

Also there was the red x over the signal bars at first but now it is gone.

which mobile data works? EVDO? EHRPD? LTE? EHRPD and LTE are auth'd by your sim card... while EVDO is auth'd by EFS. If EVDO is working I would assume your EFS is still good.

You have an original backup of your efs?
If so, did you backup m9kefs1.img and m9kefs2.img manually? or did you use the flashable zip?

and you only mentioned m9kefs1.img... EFS is made up of 2 partitions.. both are needed... you have restore BOTH m9kefs1 and m9kefs2? and not just m9kefs1?

You didn't try to flash my "ZeroEFS" zip did you? Hopefully not.

Where did you try to restore EFS... while booted in a rom? .. or while in TWRP? and how did you restore it.. did you flash a zip or use the manual "dd" commands? It is easier for the EFS restore to "stick" if doing it in TWRP. If trying while booted in rom it may not stick.

Have you tried flashing back to a stock-based rom or a known working rom? Trying to fix data while still on CM12 would only make things more difficult.
Have you tried using LGNPST and flashing a stock firmware bin? If you are properly restoring m9kefs1/m9kefs2 while in TWRP and still no signal.. I would try a stock rom or stock restore with LGNPST as the next step.
21st November 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #124  

54 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopy25

Do you have your original stock backup? That should contain everything and not be corrupted if it was done correct. Try to restore that stock, or any other fully working backup and boot into it, check your cell service and if that works, use the "createFlashableZip" posted in the OP to create a new EFS backup, then you should be able to restore that.

On a side note, if any of your partitions got corrupted, it's not usually just the data that gets corrupted, it's the partition. And if the partition is corrupted, there isn't much chance to restore. A warranty replacement is usually in order if that happens.

EDIT I just remembered that your exact same scenario has happened to me before. Just flash the restore multiple times and then reboot. I swear that worked for me. I remember it saying that the feature is unavailable (or something close), is that what the error is when you try to make a call?

Yes i have the stock backup and restored to it but still no signal, i also restored my Artmod G3 rom and that was the same except that in about phone it was showing some signal strength but i still couldn't make calls (strange). I tried restoring EFS with freegee, the zip, and through terminal but nothing has changed. When trying with freegee it said it restored efs but it didn't really seemed like it actually did anything. I just flashed the restore 3 times in a row but still nothing.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoprime

which mobile data works? EVDO? EHRPD? LTE? EHRPD and LTE are auth'd by your sim card... while EVDO is auth'd by EFS. If EVDO is working I would assume your EFS is still good.

If so, did you backup m9kefs1.img and m9kefs2.img manually? or did you use the flashable zip?

and you only mentioned m9kefs1.img... EFS is made up of 2 partitions.. both are needed... you have restore BOTH m9kefs1 and m9kefs2? and not just m9kefs1?

Where did you try to restore EFS... while booted in a rom? .. or while in TWRP? and how did you restore it.. did you flash a zip or use the manual "dd" commands? It is easier for the EFS restore to "stick" if doing it in TWRP. If trying while booted in rom it may not stick.

Have you tried flashing back to a stock-based rom or a known working rom? Trying to fix data while still on CM12 would only make things more difficult.
Have you tried using LGNPST and flashing a stock firmware bin? If you are properly restoring m9kefs1/m9kefs2 while in TWRP and still no signal.. I would try a stock rom or stock restore with LGNPST as the next step.

I get 3g and 4g, restored original EFS both with zip and manually, no i didnt flash the zeroEFS, i tried restoring in factory rom using freegee and using the zip in cwm. Have flashed a couple previously working roms but got no signal and i was waiting to use LGNPST as a last resort.
21st November 2014, 04:37 PM   |  #125  

635 posts
Quote:

The Optimus G did not have a sim card, so we have everything in the EFS.

Quote:

Yes i have the stock backup and restored to it but still no signal, i also restored my Artmod G3 rom and that was the same except that in about phone it was showing some signal strength but i still couldn't make calls (strange). I tried restoring EFS with freegee, the zip, and through terminal but nothing has changed. When trying with freegee it said it restored efs but it didn't really seemed like it actually did anything. I just flashed the restore 3 times in a row but still nothing.

Please answer the questions above as the information would be helpful to all trying to assist you. thank you^^
As far as freegee, IDK why that even makes a backup, it works to restore very rarely. The create zip by autoprime is the best tool I have ever used. Are you sure you are restoring the zip and not flashing the create zip multiple times? Boot into stock ROM (genuine stock and not stock based) ArtMod is not stock for us, either use the ZVC or one of the stock based in the sprint thread and not one that was ported or edited and you will have better luck. If you can boot into the ZVC (the one I use to update PRL and Profile) Then do both and see if that helps.

EDIT: Try using TWRP.
Last edited by dopy25; 21st November 2014 at 04:42 PM.
21st November 2014, 04:52 PM   |  #126  
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,263

1,774 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

there is a sim card.. it's just embedded and not removable. You wouldn't have working LTE otherwise.

and to @drewss02 you mentioned 3g and 4g.. but you did not specify if 3G was using EVDO or EHRPD. If using EHRPD (check network settings in about phone section)... try to force it to EVDO and see if you get working 3G while set to EVDO.

if you have working EVDO then that would be proof that some of the EFS is still working. And you've already said you still have your original imei/meid, correct? and that's pulled from the EFS as well. You could try reflashing a PRL manually... or trying to maybe update PRL and Profile over wifi to see if that helps. Maybe even try ##72786# dialer code while on a stock rom... this will reactivate your phone (best to try it over wifi).

and as dopy25 mentioned... try flashing the backups in twrp. Not a fan of CWM.. and many people have confirmed that the EFS restore from FreeGee doesn't always work. I always stick to manual backup and restore and have never had an issue restoring the EFS thru twrp that way. I have broken my EFS many many many times (often on purpose) and have always come out of it doing nothing more than the manual steps I've listed in the OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to autoprime For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #127  

54 posts
Quote:

Please answer the questions above as the information would be helpful to all trying to assist you. thank you^^
As far as freegee, IDK why that even makes a backup, it works to restore very rarely. The create zip by autoprime is the best tool I have ever used. Are you sure you are restoring the zip and not flashing the create zip multiple times? Boot into stock ROM (genuine stock and not stock based) ArtMod is not stock for us, either use the ZVC or one of the stock based in the sprint thread and not one that was ported or edited and you will have better luck. If you can boot into the ZVC (the one I use to update PRL and Profile) Then do both and see if that helps.

EDIT: Try using TWRP.

I am flashing the efsbackupflash.zip, and im using the original rom that came with the phone stock. I can't update prl or profile because it says no service but if i use ##72786# it goes thru the whole process, activate service, update prl, firmware check, but still same result in the end. All of this only happened after flashing the CM12 lollipop build and it searched for an available network, it found sprint but never connected to it or any network. I guess its possible that could have screwed something up or rewritten something? I just dont understand how it says im on sprint network yet i have no service, it's almost like it's one of the demo phones you mess with in the stores.
21st November 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #128  

635 posts
Quote:

there is a sim card.. it's just embedded and not removable. You wouldn't have working LTE otherwise.

Sorry about that, What I meant was it is not removable/changeable. Doesn't it get backed up as well though with the efs backup?

@drewss02 might be a rare case, but I have indeed had the exact same thing happen to me and all I did was restore the EFS a few times. (Mine happened when flashing a rom not meant for the Sprint OG) I forget which one but I was trying to adapt it for the Sprint version and it kept having the same result this user is having.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread