No registration required

Upgrade your towel rooted stock ne6 to stock nf6 keep root and dont trip knox

OP ashraf sharif

27th August 2014, 11:20 AM   |  #101  
Thanks Meter: 5

150 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashraf sharif

i am also getting a notification to update ota . This must be a new update. I would postpone it and wait for sammobile to post the firmware. Probably later today. Then flash the new firmware with mobile odin pro to retain root.
If you install the ota you will probably lose root.

Thanks so much for your help! I hope that's what it is, that icon and nagging is really annoying.
27th August 2014, 12:58 PM   |  #102  
OP Senior Member
Flag nyc
Thanks Meter: 198

486 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherbeard

Thanks so much for your help! I hope that's what it is, that icon and nagging is really annoying.

Yeah its an 86 mb update NG4 I managed to shut off the update notification by turning off software update in app manager. Had to turn it off in all apps and running apps and then reboot.
29th August 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #103  
Flag CLEARWATER
Thanks Meter: 15

313 posts
Donate to Me
More
If I understand this correctly, I can use mobile odin to update and maintain root? Is that correct? I am currently towel rooted on NE6 with Philz Recovery.

Have not used mobile odin before.

Or am I better to stick with PC odin, flash stock, root, and reload apps because of all of these restrictions through Samsung?

Do I use the Stock firmware to do this and what happens to data and apps during this process, will they be wiped?

How do I check Knox, where do I find it?
Last edited by cyaclone; 29th August 2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added question
29th August 2014, 11:56 PM   |  #104  
OP Senior Member
Flag nyc

486 posts
More
@cyaclone you most likely already tripped knox when you installed philz recovery. to check put your phone in download mode if knox is 0x1 it is already tripped. you can use mobile odin pro to retain root and update to ng4. or you can use ota,kies or pc odin to upgrade to ng4 then root again with cf autoroot if you already tripped knox then it really doesn't make any difference how you flash or root.
30th August 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #105  
Flag CLEARWATER
Thanks Meter: 15

313 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashraf sharif

@cyaclone you most likely already tripped knox when you installed philz recovery. to check put your phone in download mode if knox is 0x1 it is already tripped. you can use mobile odin pro to retain root and update to ng4. or you can use ota,kies or pc odin to upgrade to ng4 then root again with cf autoroot if you already tripped knox then it really doesn't make any difference how you flash or root.

Thanks for the reply and just checked and knox is 0x1 with Philz Recovery. So I do not need mobile odin and just do the stock upgrade, root w/CF Root, and gone on from there.
19th September 2014, 09:49 AM   |  #106  
Thanks Meter: 20

219 posts
I'm still on NE6, i got an OTA update, I'm thinking its the NF6 upgrade, but then you are all saying there is yet ANOTHER OTA update after that?

I dont plan to install custom etc, and will stick to touchwiz. I simply want a simple root with updated everything, but not trip knox and still be official,
root simply so I can uninstall the damn bloatware. i dont just want to "freeze" items. i want to free up space as well. damn samsung.

i might just wait it out, or just say the hell with it and trip knox
20th September 2014, 11:55 AM   |  #107  
OP Senior Member
Flag nyc

486 posts
More
If you have not tripped knox yet you can still update your phone without tripping knox. Download the latest firmware from sammobile and install it with mobile Odin pro
22nd September 2014, 10:48 PM   |  #108  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
In case anyone is wondering if this still works with NH5, I just tried it and all is well.
25th November 2014, 07:57 AM   |  #109  
Thanks Meter: 5

91 posts
Just updated my T-Mobile S5 to CNK2 and still rooted via TOWELROOT!!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread