Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

TiVo app blocks streaming on rooted phones (formerly TiVo app not working)

OP DrPhant0m

5th November 2014, 12:52 PM   |  #81  
Thanks Meter: 2

40 posts
FYI, I was able to Root, run SDFix, then unroot and the Tivo app is working fine. Best of both worlds IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to gbruyn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th November 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #82  
Thanks Meter: 26

111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn

FYI, I was able to Root, run SDFix, then unroot and the Tivo app is working fine. Best of both worlds IMHO. Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

How is it the "best of both worlds" if you have to unroot to get the TiVo app streaming?

Can you unroot temporarily on-the-fly and then re-root when you are done? If so, how?
6th November 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #83  
Thanks Meter: 2

40 posts
The only reason I rooted was for the SDFix and to remove some bloat. So that's the best world of rooting TO ME. The other WORLD that I wanted was to have Tivo stream... THUS BEST OF BOTH WORLDS --- FOR ME!

Don't think you can temp unroot, stream and then root. I am permanently unrooting and fine with it.
6th November 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #84  

111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn

The only reason I rooted was for the SDFix and to remove some bloat. So that's the best world of rooting TO ME. The other WORLD that I wanted was to have Tivo stream... THUS BEST OF BOTH WORLDS --- FOR ME! Don't think you can temp unroot, stream and then root. I am permanently unrooting and fine with it.

Gotcha and thanks. Your findings are helpful, actually, for those of us who are aiming for a different set of "best of both worlds." That the app looks for root, as well as something that SDFix fixes, is certainly useful information and could very well assist us in creating a "cloaker" type of workaround for the TiVo app.
6th November 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #85  
Annapolis Maryland
Thanks Meter: 326

665 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoferX

How is it the "best of both worlds" if you have to unroot to get the TiVo app streaming?

Can you unroot temporarily on-the-fly and then re-root when you are done? If so, how?

Very easy. Takes seconds to unroot and to reroot. Go into SuperSU and select uninstall. Once it is uninstalled you do not have to reboot just try the Tivo app it should work. To reroot flash the supersu.zip in recovery and your all good. Here is the link to the supersu.zip
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=23427715
Scroll down to the section the says CWM / TWRP Mobile Odin installable zip.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
7th November 2014, 02:52 AM   |  #86  

111 posts
Hmm, thinking I should try it. Couldn't I just run towelroot to re-root though? That's how I did it the first time, on this Nexus 7.
7th November 2014, 03:59 AM   |  #87  
Annapolis Maryland
Thanks Meter: 326

665 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoferX

Hmm, thinking I should try it. Couldn't I just run towelroot to re-root though? That's how I did it the first time, on this Nexus 7.

Yes as long as towel root still works. On newer firmwares the towel root exploit has been patched.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
10th November 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #88  
New York City
Thanks Meter: 16

163 posts
More
Guess we may never get a workaround on rooted devices.
25th November 2014, 05:39 PM   |  #89  
Thanks Meter: 5

22 posts
Is anyone close to getting this Tivo app to work on a rooted device or should the hope of a workaround be buried?
26th November 2014, 01:38 AM   |  #90  

111 posts
I'm not aware that anyone's even expressed interest in working on it... at least not yet. Earlier I tossed the idea of a bounty, to encourage interest, but have been far too busy personally to start it up.

Hope springs eternal though. I might get some time in the next couple of weeks to start a bounty thread with all the particulars. If anyone else wants to dive in and take initiative, that'd be great, too.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
tivo
Previous Thread Next Thread