Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Amazon Fire Phone Pricing

OP zero_x3

26th November 2014, 06:44 PM   |  #21  
Flag Sacramento, Ca
Thanks Meter: 46

270 posts
Donate to Me
More
hmm as a prime subscriber, this phone is on my radar for purposes other than a phone.

Anyone know of the potential of using this as a dedicated dash camera? The camera sounds pretty decent, and most good dash cameras are 200+ so this actually could be a very cheap, high quality, dash camera.
26th November 2014, 06:46 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 31

165 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

Yeah this is pretty much a no brainier for anyone with an Amazon Prime membership up for renewal anytime soon. I ordered mine this morning it will be here Black Friday !

Same here! I'll further defray my cost by selling my Nexus 4. I'll probably keep the Fire phone for a year and get something else. I'm not seeing that many good options for me right now.
26th November 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #23  
Virginia Beach
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Quote:

Yeah this is pretty much a no brainier for anyone with an Amazon Prime membership up for renewal anytime soon. I ordered mine this morning it will be here Black Friday !

You would think that, and I was about to order one for myself, but after reading reviews on it.... not sure I really have a use for it, even at a $100 price point (when you account for my Prime renewal). Can't run google based apps, little to no dev support because it's an unpopular phone... unless there's some other aspect of the phone you like (like the dash cam potential), what is the main draw to purchase this phone?

After reading a few reviews on it, I feel like I'm better off spending (several times) more money on a different phone. It might be alright if you rooted it and blew away with Amazon OS with a custom Android ROM... but glancing in the dev section, it doesn't look like anyone has done that.
26th November 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 9

65 posts
Quote:

it will just add 1 year if you already have prime (ie. if you have prime and it expires april 2015 it will be extended to april 2016) also if you buy more then 1 phone it will add 1 year for each one bought. (ie. if you buy 3 phones you get 3 years of prime)

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbobaggins

You would think that, and I was about to order one for myself, but after reading reviews on it.... not sure I really have a use for it, even at a $100 price point (when you account for my Prime renewal). Can't run google based apps, little to no dev support because it's an unpopular phone... unless there's some other aspect of the phone you like (like the dash cam potential), what is the main draw to purchase this phone?

After reading a few reviews on it, I feel like I'm better off spending (several times) more money on a different phone. It might be alright if you rooted it and blew away with Amazon OS with a custom Android ROM... but glancing in the dev section, it doesn't look like anyone has done that.

with this fire sale hopefully it will become a popular item that will garner developer support. (kinda like happened in 2011 with the fire tab)

its got the hardware, now just needs a good OS
26th November 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 31

165 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonesmi

it will just add 1 year if you already have prime (ie. if you have prime and it expires april 2015 it will be extended to april 2016) also if you buy more then 1 phone it will add 1 year for each one bought. (ie. if you buy 3 phones you get 3 years of prime)

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

with this fire sale hopefully it will become a popular item that will garner developer support. (kinda like happened in 2011 with the fire tab)

Someone posted this on another website, but it looks odd. Can someone more knowledgeable take a look and see if the links are legit for getting Lollipop on the Fire phone?

http://www.rom-lollipop.org/mp3-0/am...hone-6453.html
26th November 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #26  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,242

4,498 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbobaggins

Well it is Rooted and that's all the start I need
http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire...ormal-t2898921

Quote:

The base is their, and with the play store added and the Google launcher
+ Prime Music. It's worth the $100 to me.

All we really need is a bootloader unlock and a custom recovery for things to really start moving. Based on the info in the link above it seems to share a lot in common with the Kindle Fire HD software wise. But the bootloader is another story.
Last edited by clsA; 27th November 2014 at 05:16 AM.
26th November 2014, 07:30 PM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 9

65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged92781

Someone posted this on another website, but it looks odd. Can someone more knowledgeable take a look and see if the links are legit for getting Lollipop on the Fire phone?

http://www.rom-lollipop.org/mp3-0/am...hone-6453.html

that doesn't look real.
i kinda laughed when i read the 3 comments at the bottom of that link.
26th November 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #28  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,242

4,498 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

that doesn't look real.

the Rom in his screen shot is SkyDragon | GPE v4.0.5 LOLLIPOP | 5.0.0 Android L for the HTC One M8 ... lol
26th November 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #29  
Flag Bayside
Thanks Meter: 35

134 posts
More
Quote:

that doesn't look real.

Odd, their broken English isn't so apparent elsewhere.
26th November 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 3

9 posts
Originally Posted by rbeavers

$100 quad core phone!!
All we need now is boot loader unlock and CM12!
I just bought it and I'm on CDMA.

Isn't this using the same chipset as the Amazon Fire TV? The bootloader was partially unlocked for that. There is a recovery available too. I wonder if it can be ported easily. Amazon may have used the same bootloader code across these devices.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread