OP hackerse7en

1st March 2014, 06:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 25

205 posts
More
Hi guys,
Well, since MotoActv dont have his own thread, i will post it here,as the title says, i will show you how to unbrick your MotoActv,

This tutorial solves:
  • Problems like low battery when the MotoActv wont charge and cause of battery low warning wont let you flash any software via bootloader
  • Bootloops
  • Sometimes not bootable motoactvs
This tutorial does not solve:
  • MotoActv with messed up bootloaders(although in some cases works /mine did worked)

Requirements:
Hardware:
Standart Usb Cable
Micro Usb to Usb Cable
Soldering Iron and Solder Wire
Aligator Clamps
Software:
A working/partially working Bootloader
ClearD's Image Flasher
A Rom(you can use any Rom,I will use Dprom)

Step 1
Disassembly the motoactv

You dont need to disassembly it all, just enough to get to battery wires.

Step 2
You need to remove the battery

Step 3
Grab your standart usb cable and cut the end point to expose the 4 wires.

Stripe the black and the red one to expose the inside wire.

Step 4
Solder the wires to the MotoActv.
Make sure the order is Red (nothing) Black (if you dont understand very well this part check the images bellow)

Step 5
Apply the alligator clamps, so that the wires dont move during the process of unbricking

Step 6
Plug the usb cable to the pc and try to turn on the motoactv.

If the screen goes on thats a good sign otherwise you should be worried.
You can now unplug the usb cable from pc and motoactv will shutdown.

Now as you should reallize the usb cable is replacing the battery by powering the motoactv in 5 v.

Step 7
Grab your micro usb to usb cable and plug the motoactv to the pc normally,
now your final setup should be something like this

Step 8
This is the most important step

You must plug the standart usb cable (the one you cutted ) to the pc,
and quickly press and hold "volume down" key and "power" key until the display lights up, when it does release both keys.

Step 9
Now MotoActv should be in a menu like this.

It's called fastboot mode or in bootloader menu.
Now you can open the clearD's image flasher put your images in images folder and flash it.

Step 10
Now the final step is assemble it all and ressolder the battery
Last edited by hackerse7en; 1st March 2014 at 07:00 AM. Reason: youtube links
28th November 2014, 08:05 AM   |  #2  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 2

7 posts
Thank you for the in depth tutorial with great pics/video.

I wanted to share something that I found that worked for my particular situation, which didn't require me to take apart the device. First, a bit of background as to what happened to my device to begin with. I stopped ADB on my Motoactv 8GB via my desktop but forgot to reboot it afterwards. I then plugged it into a wall charger only to come back to it a few days later to find that the white LED that indicates that the device is plugged in and charging was not lit and it would not power on. I then realized that since I never rebooted the device after stopping ADB -which would have restarted it, the mini USB port was acting as a USB mass storage device the whole time and not accepting a charge to the battery.

When I attempted to turn the device on with a long press of the power button I got a momentary "M" Motorola logo before the screen went black again. I then pressed the power button and start button simultaneously and held them until I got a messages on the screen that read, "Bootloader Fastboot mode 03.11" with "Battery Low, Cannot Program" flashing below it. At this point I thought I was screwed, which led me to your post.

I then searched around a little bit on the internet and ran into this video for a motorola razr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtA4OU2xha4

I decided to give the instructions in the video a try because I had nothing to lose and figured that there might be some crossover between platforms/devices. To my dismay (but not surprise) the instructions did not translate over. However, after some tinkering around I did find a combination of buttons that did work. These are the steps I took:
1. Make sure your device is plugged into a wall charger via the mini USB port.
2. Press and hold power button for ~5 seconds, hopefully you'll see the "M" motorola logo displayed.
3. While the "M" is still displayed (it stays displayed for 1-2 seconds before the screen goes blank) long press the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously.
4. This is when I noticed that the white charging LED indicator turned on and the screen now displayed the animated battery level/charging indicator, which was at 0% as expected.
5. After waiting for the device to charge for 5-10 minutes the battery level/charging indicator displayed 10% and I turned it on as I would normally. Low and behold, everything was back to normal.

My ACTV is rooted and running ClearDroid 1.1.3_A with LauncherPro (I haven't kept up with the latest ROMs)
Software version is MA 1.7.10 N8

To be clear, I was never stuck in a bootloop, I simply neglected to reboot my device after stopping ADB and then unintentionally let the battery drain completely. Hope this is helpful to anyone that gets stuck in the same situation that I was in and apologies if this procedure was already outlined somewhere else. Thanks!
28th November 2014, 11:25 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 25

205 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikleinad

Thank you for the in depth tutorial with great pics/video.

I wanted to share something that I found that worked for my particular situation, which didn't require me to take apart the device. First, a bit of background as to what happened to my device to begin with. I stopped ADB on my Motoactv 8GB via my desktop but forgot to reboot it afterwards. I then plugged it into a wall charger only to come back to it a few days later to find that the white LED that indicates that the device is plugged in and charging was not lit and it would not power on. I then realized that since I never rebooted the device after stopping ADB -which would have restarted it, the mini USB port was acting as a USB mass storage device the whole time and not accepting a charge to the battery.

When I attempted to turn the device on with a long press of the power button I got a momentary "M" Motorola logo before the screen went black again. I then pressed the power button and start button simultaneously and held them until I got a messages on the screen that read, "Bootloader Fastboot mode 03.11" with "Battery Low, Cannot Program" flashing below it. At this point I thought I was screwed, which led me to your post.

I then searched around a little bit on the internet and ran into this video for a motorola razr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtA4OU2xha4

I decided to give the instructions in the video a try because I had nothing to lose and figured that there might be some crossover between platforms/devices. To my dismay (but not surprise) the instructions did not translate over. However, after some tinkering around I did find a combination of buttons that did work. These are the steps I took:
1. Make sure your device is plugged into a wall charger via the mini USB port.
2. Press and hold power button for ~5 seconds, hopefully you'll see the "M" motorola logo displayed.
3. While the "M" is still displayed (it stays displayed for 1-2 seconds before the screen goes blank) long press the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously.
4. This is when I noticed that the white charging LED indicator turned on and the screen now displayed the animated battery level/charging indicator, which was at 0% as expected.
5. After waiting for the device to charge for 5-10 minutes the battery level/charging indicator displayed 10% and I turned it on as I would normally. Low and behold, everything was back to normal.

My ACTV is rooted and running ClearDroid 1.1.3_A with LauncherPro (I haven't kept up with the latest ROMs)
Software version is MA 1.7.10 N8

To be clear, I was never stuck in a bootloop, I simply neglected to reboot my device after stopping ADB and then unintentionally let the battery drain completely. Hope this is helpful to anyone that gets stuck in the same situation that I was in and apologies if this procedure was already outlined somewhere else. Thanks!

thats a good tip, but my motoactv reach a point that it doesn't even boot to m logo, i let it on charge overnight, and it just doesnt even appear charging logo, on those cases this is the way to go, but my method is more hardcore, before start open your motoactv try this, Other tip is to hold music button, Run button and power button, this "reboots" motoactv on a diferent way.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, hacksere7en, low battery, motoactv, unbrick
Previous Thread Next Thread