WARNING: Marvell PXA1088 powers Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

Search This thread

DeLime

Jun 13, 2012
Paris
I saw that too. But I tested with apps and it seems it's a hardware limitation. But maybe like the GT3 it maybe fixed with a custom Kernel.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using XDA Free mobile app

Hi,

Do you know if anyone has made progress on this? I understand that just rooting and downloading a USB Host controller App won't be enough but have not seen any custom kernels in the dedicated Development forum here on XDA...

pdthekd

Apr 28, 2011
help with rooting samsung galaxy tab 4 sm231

Hi guys,
can any one help me in rooting samsung galaxy tab 4 smt t231?

i have searched a lot of places, used vroot and root genius methods which have failed. can some one point me with right instructions ??

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

rsktkr1

Nov 10, 2009
DENVER
My T330 has virtually run almost every kind of usb - hub, keyboard, mouse, external speakers, card reader, thumb flash drive, flight stick, etc.. I had the T230 but returned it for the T330.

Henkl

Feb 5, 2010
Xiaomi Poco F3
Surprised....

I just found out after my root it has marvell as well

So ALL tab 4 7 are marvell soc? Just curious.
If so.. a hotplug governor in the kernel should be feasible (I don't see that.. but pxa988 has it)..

Type : T230

Code:
ro.product.model=SM-T230
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=degaswifixx
ro.product.device=degaswifi
ro.product.board=PXA1088
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.bootloader=T230XXU0ANG2

zswielder

Feb 25, 2011
Is this really as big of a deal as it sounds? I mean, even my Nook Tablet, which I bought years ago, can still play most of the games (using Custom ROM that enhances this tablet of course). I can't imagine this new Tab4 tablet would have issues running any games/apps even if it's not snapdragon.

Of course, if it means that we won't have custom ROMs for this tablet (I saw this mentioned somewhere in this thread), then yea that would suck, but I would think that custom ROMs will come. I mean, we've always found ways around things, and we are talking about a relatively popular tablet here. When there's demand, it's likely to come true.

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
The issue isn't finding a way around it we do have capable people to do this. The issue is the fact that Samsung came out with the tab s, tab 4 marvell and tab 4 Qualcomm. Too many options makes interest less. Making less devs to work on Marvell. When there are easier options. We should have several stock based Roms I would think though.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
The tab 3 has a Marvell PXA869
And it Is just now getting a usable cm11 a year later

My hopes is that this effort can translate into this tab as well.
But people have to realize we may be on touchwiz based ROMs for the practical life of this device.

Like I said we have the devs but the interest is what will cost us.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Free mobile app

MarckozZ

Jan 4, 2013
Argentina
S**t man Ive just ordered this device and it will be comming in the next days.. Didnt knew this had a Marvell CPU.. I read somewhere else it had Qualcomm SoC and Adreno.. Anyway hope to see some development here.. Good luck finding Marvell drivers!

hehk1234

Apr 10, 2014
GC vivante 1000 use tegra extension. Some games based tegra devices can run without problems on tab 3 and 4. And chipset of tab 3 is PXA986 not 869. Some information on gsmarena are incorrect.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

If any dev here want Marvell drivers. I find some libs and drivers for GC vivants series
https://github.com/laanwj/etna_viv#notification-settings

jdmsohc22

Feb 4, 2008
Miami, FL
Ok so I've been rooting/jailbreaking/flashing for almost 10 years now and only have tempered into the developing fields ever so often, but I think this may be my calling..

If you guys want to all team together on certain critera that needs to be established, I'm down for that! I'm a stubborn Italian who will not take "NO" for an answers, so when it comes to flashing custom ROM's for our beloved Tab 4 7.0's, I'm willing to put in the time and effort to get this ball rolling.. If the Tab 3 has a very similar processor, and is on CM11 then I'd believe we indeed are not that far away ourselves from Custom ROM's..

Question 1. Where do we begin, and what has been recognized thus far?

Question 2. What's the difference between the Tab 3 processor, and our Tab 4 processors?

Question 3. Has this been taken to the CM site and asked for help?

Question 4. Is it a simple case of not having the right "know-how" and getting this in front of the right person?

Thanks!

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
I am not a dev nor will I ever be. But I believe the problem is with not having all the needed code disclosed for this chip sets kernel, then making the necessary commits to cm for it to compile on our devices.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: g_ding84

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Based on @sw6lee 's build.prop information, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 powered by Marvell PXA1088 SoC.
    Code:
    ro.product.model=SM-T230NU
    ro.product.brand=samsung
    ro.product.name=degaswifiue
    ro.product.device=degaswifiue
    ro.product.board=PXA1088
    ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
    ro.bootloader=T230NUUEU0ANE2
    ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
    ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
    ro.product.locale.language=en
    ro.product.locale.region=GB
    ro.wifi.channels=
    ro.board.platform=mrvl
    Also confirmed by Vivante: http://vivantecorp.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/vivante-powers-samsung-galaxy-tab-4/ . Vivante is the GPU maker for PXA1088 SoC, GC1000.
    More information about PXA1088: http://www.marvell.com/communication-processors/pxa1088/features.jsp

I experienced working for PXA988 device Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 in kernel level, though I don't own this device. Based on Marvell, PXA1088 platform compatible to PXA988, both powered by Vivante GC1000 GPU. Some information for you:
    • Tab 3 7.0 ramdisk size limited to 1MB from the bootloader, too small for custom recovery
    • No USB host support, hardware limitation
    • No AOSP reference out there, it's hard to build a custom ROM
    I managed to fix ramdisk size limitation https://github.com/kumajaya/android...mmit/2f156084ddcdea962ce23d68ad6a7b191dbc0075 and immediately custom recovery available for Tab 3 7. With touchscreen fix https://github.com/kumajaya/android...mmit/caa7019bcca4ce714d3c1288ac5471334acb0d98, touch base recovery also available. It's hard for the other two problems and I have no access to Tab 3 7.0 device. Custom kernel also available for Tab 3 7.0, of course from me ;) Somehow only xz compressed boot/recovery image manage to boot Tab 3 7.0 :laugh:

Tab 4 7 owner, it's a good idea to upload your device boot.img and recovery.img here. I'll investigate it for you :good: Give me your device "cat /proc/cmdline" output.
    Yep, vivante here.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with android devices as this is my first one....
    But I want to help if I can, so let me know which files you need and where I can find them in the device and I'll upload them.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using XDA Free mobile app
    I have downloaded Tab 4 7.0 firmware and managed to unpack the boot.img .
    Wiki can be edited by anyone. Just run the cpuz app on the 7.0 and it will confirm marvell

Only the 8.0 & 10.1 have the Snapdragon.

Ketut, any chance we can recruit you to work on the 8 & 10.1?
    For now I am only interested in the Tab 4 7.0 to open a possibility to bring back Tab 4 7.0 update to Tab 3 7.0 .
    Ok so I've been rooting/jailbreaking/flashing for almost 10 years now and only have tempered into the developing fields ever so often, but I think this may be my calling..

If you guys want to all team together on certain critera that needs to be established, I'm down for that! I'm a stubborn Italian who will not take "NO" for an answers, so when it comes to flashing custom ROM's for our beloved Tab 4 7.0's, I'm willing to put in the time and effort to get this ball rolling.. If the Tab 3 has a very similar processor, and is on CM11 then I'd believe we indeed are not that far away ourselves from Custom ROM's..

Question 1. Where do we begin, and what has been recognized thus far?

Question 2. What's the difference between the Tab 3 processor, and our Tab 4 processors?

Question 3. Has this been taken to the CM site and asked for help?

Question 4. Is it a simple case of not having the right "know-how" and getting this in front of the right person?

Thanks!
    Never looked into the Samsung protector devices, very cool.... Just picked up a hisense 55h6sg TV that runs on a Marvell as well.... It seems to be very weak

Sent from my Amazon Tate using XDA Free mobile app

I´m a freak about these phones and I dedicated a yt channel to it www.youtube.com/allabouthegalaxybeam if ur interested. Anyway. I didn´t have problems when it comes to gaming or Full HD playback. And when I mean gaming I mean gaming on the built-in projector on 100 inch connected to my ps3 controller :D I played GTA San Andreas without probs like that. Only thing is that u need to cool the phone when u plan to game for longer. I really want to have CM on this phone. So my dev friend told me to do some research in order to help him on CM. I did a fundraising for the previous BEAM, so I thought of doing the same on the BEAM 2. I also looked for devs on freelancer, odesk and elance but the best "deal" for a custom CM12 that I could get was 3000 USD. And most of these people on freelancer sites u can´t trust. So sources research for this CM on BEAM 2 project started today for me. And like that I found this thread here. And the only devices that have the px1088 are listed here:

Galaxy Tab 4.7.0
    HP Slate 6 Voice Tab 2
    HP Slate 7 VoiceTab
    HP Slate 6 VoiceTab
    and the Galaxy BEAM 2 SM-G3858 which is not listed

Source: http://system-on-a-chip.specout.com/l/162/Marvell-PXA1088 After some short research I found no custom roms or cm versions for these tablets

So yeah, it would be sweet if we could all work together to realize a Custom ROM for the PXA1088. There was a chinese dev which did some kind of custom rom on the BEAM 2 already. But its a bit hard to communicate with him as I dont know yet who he is :) So I assume he must have had some knowledge about the marvell SoC.