Nobis NB07 and DA-741QHD rooting and ROM thread

Search This thread

neatojones

Dec 28, 2010
Springfield, IL
Any word on anything on this tablet? Still using it but would really really love root on it!

Sorry, no reply for a while. My wife broke my tablet a while back and so I don't use it anymore. The digitizer broke when she dropped it onto concrete. I've dissected it for fun since then and managed to break it further. I might eventually decide to buy an HDMI cord and try to find a way to use it with CHEAPCAST for an extra tv, but I'm not really sure if I'll ever find a purpose for it.

So, unfortunately, for now...my work on the tablet is done.

Hippie459MN

Sorry, no reply for a while. My wife broke my tablet a while back and so I don't use it anymore. The digitizer broke when she dropped it onto concrete. I've dissected it for fun since then and managed to break it further. I might eventually decide to buy an HDMI cord and try to find a way to use it with CHEAPCAST for an extra tv, but I'm not really sure if I'll ever find a purpose for it.

So, unfortunately, for now...my work on the tablet is done.

Thats a bummer. I have pretty much given up any hope of this ever being rooted myself. I dont even really see much info on the web about them at all either. I think most the talk about them has been right here. lol

Oh well, I have pretty much given it to my soon to be 5 year old for playing his learning games on and stuff. Would still be nice to get root though.... Maybe someday.

true

Aug 11, 2007
I know this thread is a bit old, but just wanted to update since I just got a few of these tablets.

On the old version of this device in the thread (the 1.2GHz A31s version), Root Genius works.

Reactions: Onoitsu2

Onoitsu2

May 4, 2013
USA
Moto G Power (2021)
I know this thread is a bit old, but just wanted to update since I just got a few of these tablets.

On the old version of this device in the thread (the 1.2GHz A31s version), Root Genius works.

The one that you could buy at Radioshack this Black Friday, for $50, is the NB07, and Root Genius worked danged near instantly. The Drivers I used were located in the TP718AQ_Update_Firmware.rar that was linked earlier in the post. The only thing I had to do was alter the android_usb.inf so it would use this driver for this device. This edit is as follows...
In the section Google.NTx86, below the labeling for the LG Eve, I added these lines

Code:
;Nobis
%SingleAdbInterface% = androidusb.Dev, USB\VID_2922&PID_8005
Android ADB=androidusb.Dev, USB\VID_2922&PID_8005&REV_0233&MI_01
%SingleAdbInterface% = androidusb.Dev, USB\VID_2922&PID_8001
Android ADB=androidusb.Dev, USB\VID_2922&PID_8001&REV_0233&MI_01

This allows ADB to be assessed via MTP setting on tablet, or the USB Large Storage option (not sure why you would ever use that option however, unless plugging into an older computer and wanting it to be seen as simply a flash storage drive, negating the simplicity of raw file management, by even having ADB enabled)

If ANYONE wants a dump of this tablet, please respond with the commands or PM me, however if PM, don't expect a reply on a speedy timeframe, I rarely check them.

-Onoitsu2

P.S. When you open Superuser, for the first time, it will immediately notify you that SU needs to be updated, select NORMAL, it will do its thing, and also crash, don't worry, simply wait about 10 seconds for it to finish its task and then run it again and all will be well with the world. You can even check in 'adb shell' by running the 'su' command, you will see the expected # at the prompt versus $.

Reactions: roots-bloody-roots
Feb 14, 2011
Monroeville
Windows 8.1

NBO7 4.2.2 Tablet bought from Radio Shack BF.

Downloaded Mobogenie
Rooted with Kingo
Uninstalled Mobogenie from phone.

I was unable to get drivers, that is why I tried Mobogenie.

s_sevan

Jun 17, 2014
Nobis NB07 Radioshack root

I just rooted my nobis nb07 bought from RadioShack android 4.2.2 ( I notice they now have same model with android 4.4 if anyone one can backup and upload if you have that version). I had to use both iroot and kingo root. At first I tryed to root with Kingo but no go, then with Iroot that worked but installed some Chinese programs and kinguser which I didn't like so I ran kingo root again and it worked this time (kinguser was replaced with supersu). I uninstalled Chinese programs and installed and updated supersu.

Last edited:

Onoitsu2

May 4, 2013
USA
Moto G Power (2021)
If anyone wants the rooted (with superuser as the managment app, instead of kinguser) I have them all hosted on my hard drive plugged into my router.

You can obtain the .img files at the following url...

Disregard the browser warning, it is because it is not encrypted but my router hosts it as https, go figure.

I also will be putting the drivers into that location in their own folder.

Hoping this benefits those more advanced users to create awesome things for this device. Beware if you try to write over the boot image, it will only show the a31s logo and that is all, unless it is a success, and I have been as of yet been unable to locate fastboot drivers for this device.

And advice for fastboot drivers is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Talysdaddy

Apr 15, 2013
sEAtOWn, WA
I'm helping someone that has a Nobis NB7850 S, its the 7.85" version, nearly identical dimensions of an iPad Mini, but with different specs of course, Quad Core 1.2, 1GB RAM, 8GB ROM w/ microSD slot w/ max of 32GB, 7.85" screen, 1024x768 res, 4.4 Kit Kat, not bad for $30.. Anyways, after a bit of light digging, I found RootGenius http://www.shuame.com/en/root/ a simple one-click root process. It even installed drivers for me, one of the easiest roots I've done.
Hope this helps someone :good:

Hippie459MN

If anyone wants the rooted (with superuser as the managment app, instead of kinguser) I have them all hosted on my hard drive plugged into my router.

You can obtain the .img files at the following url...
https://onoitsu2.no-ip.org:4443/shares/USB_Storage/TabletImages/

Disregard the browser warning, it is because it is not encrypted but my router hosts it as https, go figure.

I also will be putting the drivers into that location in their own folder.

Hoping this benefits those more advanced users to create awesome things for this device. Beware if you try to write over the boot image, it will only show the a31s logo and that is all, unless it is a success, and I have been as of yet been unable to locate fastboot drivers for this device.

And advice for fastboot drivers is much appreciated.

Really sucks my kid lost my tablet as I gave up trying to root it but like to give it another go.

Also, that root genius is all in Chinese and it wants to install some other junk on my computer. Wish they would make english versions of this stuff and not make it install a ton of garbage on your computer.

Reactions: blakegriplingph

Onoitsu2

May 4, 2013
USA
Moto G Power (2021)
Image file? That is a dump of each partition on its own. Seeing as there is no twrp or other bootloader that is capable of nandroid backups that is the best we have, unless someone can get fastboot working then I will gladly risk my tablet to test bootloaders. Already had one die and exchanged out due to messing with the bootloader.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I might be able to install online nandroid and back up the tablet, but with no restoral method known, ... ... why even do that?

Dec 20, 2014
This is a complement to the previous post on how to access the tablet using adb on Windows by Onoitsu2:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57124789&postcount=44

For those working on Linux, this is how I accessed the tablet on Ubuntu 12.04.
To check that the tablet is connected to the computer via USB, in the Terminal simply type:
Code:
lsusb

The output should contain something like:
Bus 00X Device 00Y: ID 2922:8005
(for NB07 in media device MTP mode)
Bus 00X Device 00Y: ID 2922:8043
(for NB07 in camera PTP mode)
Bus 00X Device 00Y: ID 2922:8001
(for NB07 in USB storage mode)

2922 being the manufacturer number, I added the rule to the relevant file by typing:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
and adding the following lines in the file (replace the YOUR_USERNAME portion, keep the quotes):
Code:
#Nobis
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2922", MODE="0666", OWNER=“YOUR_USERNAME”

Save and close the file. Activate the changes by typing:
Code:
sudo service udev restart

A similar procedure was sufficient to get my HTC phone recognized. However, for the NB07 I also needed to add the information to the adb_usb.ini file. This can be done by running the following command in the terminal
Code:
echo "0x2922" >> ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

alternatively, if you prefer, find adb_usb.ini and open it using your favorite text editor and add the following line
Code:
0x2922
at the end of the file.

That is it. Checking that the tablet is accessible by adb can be done by running the following command:
Code:
adb devices

Last edited:

Hippie459MN

Well, I can say I have successfully rooted my Nobis NB07 tablet today and am running SuperSU on it! Couldnt be happier and only took a little over a year. haha!

I will post up my directions later today but I used iRoot (Formerly vRoot and also in English). I then installed SuperSU from the app store and updated the binaries then was able to remove Kinguser.

Oh yeah, my kid found my tabled about 2 weeks ago so I was hard at it again today. lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-24-13-10-38.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-24-13-10-38.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: romeo501
Dec 20, 2014
Ok, this is a little ironic but it turns out we had root access to the tablet all along since post #2 by the OP. It only took me four months to realize that.
Below, in PART 1, is how NOT to root the tablet (if you choose not to do so) and, in PART 2, how to root it by hand (if you still want to root it).

PART 1: How to access everything on the tablet, including /system without rooting it.

As mentionned in the by the OP. There is an image of the firmware of a similar tablet that can be obtained on www: iviewus.com/firmware788TPC/ Get the file.

Burn the image onto an SD card with PhoenixCard using the startup option.

Boot the tablet from the SD card: Insert card, press (and keep pressed) the return button, turn the tablet ON, release the return button as soon as you see the A31 logo.

Troubleshooting:
The A31 boots slightly differently from the other Allwinner chipsets. More info here: linux-sunxi.org/BROM if you are interested. You should see an "IVIEW" logo during the boot and you should be able to acess two of the partitions on the SD card once it is booted. If you see the NOBIS logo and get an error saying damaged SD card, you did not boot from the SD, try again and make sure you are not booting in "Quick Boot Mode".

You might not realize it yet, but you are essentially done. Congratulations!

What just happened is that you booted the boot partition on the SD card which, as it turns out, loads a rooted kernel and ramdisk to your RAM. The nice thing is that the rest of the system is mounted from your own NAND partitions. This is why everything looks the same. Nevertheless, you can have full access to your tablet using ADB.

If you want to modify /system on your NAND. Connect the tablet to your computer via USB and fire up adb. The following commands will enable writing to /system:

Code:
adb kill-server
adb root
adb remount

Enjoy.
Note that the tablet is NOT rooted and that restarting it will bring you back to normal. You might decide that you do not need to root it any more at this stage. Otherwise you can use your full access to permanently root the tablet by hand.

PART 2: How root the tablet by hand

Install superSU from the Play Store with your tablet booted normally. It will complain about missing su binaries if you try to start it. We will fix that in the following.

On your computer, access the 805 MB system partition of the SD card (an ext4 filesystem, mounted from /dev/mmcblk0p7 on my Linux) and copy the su binary from the /xbin directory onto your computer (in the same directory where you have adb). Alternatively, get the su binary from any other source you trust.

Restart the tablet as in PART 1 and follow all the instructions to get rw on /system.
Run the following code in your shell (bash or CMD.exe):

Code:
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell
chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su
adb reboot

Done, you are rooted. After restart, you can let superSU update the su binary and you are all set.

PS. I am not allowed to post links, I am too new here. I hope it is not an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: blakegriplingph
Dec 20, 2014
I tried to make a new initlogo.rle using rgb2565.
I converted a png file to raw file first using:
Code:
convert -depth 16 initlogo.png rgb:initlogo.raw
followed by conversion with rgb2565.
Code:
rgb2565 < initlogo.raw > initlogo.rle

After including it into the bootimage, I eventually got the logo to be displayed at boot time. However the colors are off. I was wodering if anyone else have a similar experience and where is that I went wrong.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tech Specs:
    Processor Type: Quad-Core Cortex A9 Processor(When I turn on the tablet it says Allwinner A31?)
    Processor Speed: 1.20 GHz
    System Ram: 1 GB
    Hard Drive Size: 8GB
    Laptop Screen Size: 7 inch
    Screen Type: Capacitive Touch Display
    Battery Life: 4 hours
    Battery Type: 2800mAh Lithium Ion
    Network Connection: 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
    Connector Type: 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone, 1 x MiniUSB 2.0
    Operating System: Google Android
    Accessories Included: AC Adapter,USB Cable
    Operating System Version: Android 4.2 Jelly Bean

This thread is a continuation of some of the discussion that was from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2568427

While not at all high end tablets, it's always fun to see what can be squeezed out of them! As stated in the title, this thread will be regarding the following devices: Nobis NB07, Iview 774TPC, and DA-741QHD (which all appear to be the same hardware) rooting and ROMs. That should be pretty simple for now since, we currently have no ROMs and no proven root method. Some have reported success using the Kingoapp. If anyone is able to obtain root, we would like to ask that you make a copy of the firmware and upload it for those of us having trouble doing so. After doing so, we can modify it and hopefully get more our of the software.

You may also post information regarding tweaking the ROMs for these devices and other ways to make them more useful!
    Warning: The following may have unforseen effects including breaking your tablet to the point of being unrepairable.

Option #1, Use KingoApp Some users have reported that this did not work for them, at least one user reported that it did.
    Instructions per RawX:
    For the drivers the easiest method is just using Top Notch Tablets How to install ADB drivers. That worked on the first one, the second one it didn't not entirely sure why, but you can send a email to support and ask them for development drivers for the nobis tablets and they will send the ADB drivers you need. After you have the drivers installed use kingo while the tablet is in usb debug mode BEFORE plugging it into your usb port and do not turn on usb transfer. the first time after it reboots kingo will report that it was not rooted, leave it plugged in and power off and back on and it should report the root worked. This method gives you SuperSU. Both times. I've done this were for clients of mine but its pretty straight forward.
    The working drivers for me were: VID_1f3a_PID_efe8
    Please consider trying this first and give us some feedback. A word of warning though, there has been some discussion on XDA in the past that this may be malware though I'm not sure this was ever confirmed.

Option #2, Flash firmware for an alternate device that can be rooted easily. Warning!!! Currently, there is no way to get back to stock (until someone who gets root with another method makes a copy of the firmware)
    Go to this website: http://www.iviewus.com/firmware788TPC/ and download the firmware. Yes, it is for another tablet. However, the tablet appears to have the same specs as ours. Once downloaded. Install the included PhoenixSuit software. Once it is running, click the button at the bottom right to update the software to the newest version (this may not be required). Then, plug in your tablet using the usb port and install the drivers. I used google and found them all within minutes. Once the software recognizes your tablet go to the firmware tab where you have extracted the .img file and select the file. Next, click upgrade to upgrade your tablet (it has instructions to help your tablet be recognized if you are having difficulty). Once the new firmware has been flashed, then download the file RootFromOTA.zip that can be found on various places such as XDA. Move the file onto an external SD card. Then, go to settings -> backup & reset -> Recovery Mode. Your tablet will restart. Once it does, select the bottom option to install from SD card. Install the RootFromOTA.zip and then reboot. Once rebooted, install the supersu app or another root application of your choice.

Credits: As above to RawX
    Congrats... You're rooted.
    I am assuming you need to have root to flash the TWRP recovery correct. This is good news. Would love to have more info on it. Are you working with people on this site or another site? I would love to follow along. :)

On another site for now. Just PM's at the moment so not much to follow yet. But, all you'll need is the Phoenixsuit to install it, so you won't have to root your tab first. You'll have root on the new ROM. You'll have to have drivers fully working though. Once fully working I'll link to the site so people can get the files and hopefully we can get this guy some donations for his work.
    The CM porting has been hitting a snag. I have TWRP 100% working on the tab right now. But, that doesn't get us much without a ROM to flash to it. I could probably get CM10.1 going on it with touch screen and everything working, but have really been focusing on 10.2 (mostly) and a little of 11. CM 10.1 should be easy enough because we already have drivers compiled for our device. However, we will likely have to extract the software from our original tablet from a couple of modules to get everything working on CM 10.2 or newer. This is because the actual hardware for our touchscreen is pretty common, but the implementation appears to be device specific (and therefore, also the drivers). This is a problem because we don't have a rooted version of our original firmware. I do have a firmware (actually 2) that is rooted with working touchscreen but I haven't found a way to extract the data from the module to be able to compile it. The gentleman on Slatedroid who compiled CM has got a working driver for our rear facing camera, so it is a real possibility that it could be working at least, but the front facing one would take more work. It seems that he is not really wanting to make compatibility packs for any new devices right now (he's already maintaining about 10 or so). If I get some free time in the near future I might ask him for some help with setting up my own build of CM and things will be looking better. For, now...I'm just chasing several leads hoping each one will get us somewhere.

In the end, we REALLY need the original firmware to get things going. I have devised a plan to do so, but it's not a sure things and it's going to take a few days. So, for now...I guess it's just a waiting game while I keep experimenting with things.
    Ok, this is a little ironic but it turns out we had root access to the tablet all along since post #2 by the OP. It only took me four months to realize that.
    Below, in PART 1, is how NOT to root the tablet (if you choose not to do so) and, in PART 2, how to root it by hand (if you still want to root it).

PART 1: How to access everything on the tablet, including /system without rooting it.

As mentionned in the by the OP. There is an image of the firmware of a similar tablet that can be obtained on www: iviewus.com/firmware788TPC/ Get the file.

Burn the image onto an SD card with PhoenixCard using the startup option.

Boot the tablet from the SD card: Insert card, press (and keep pressed) the return button, turn the tablet ON, release the return button as soon as you see the A31 logo.

Troubleshooting:
    The A31 boots slightly differently from the other Allwinner chipsets. More info here: linux-sunxi.org/BROM if you are interested. You should see an "IVIEW" logo during the boot and you should be able to acess two of the partitions on the SD card once it is booted. If you see the NOBIS logo and get an error saying damaged SD card, you did not boot from the SD, try again and make sure you are not booting in "Quick Boot Mode".

You might not realize it yet, but you are essentially done. Congratulations!

What just happened is that you booted the boot partition on the SD card which, as it turns out, loads a rooted kernel and ramdisk to your RAM. The nice thing is that the rest of the system is mounted from your own NAND partitions. This is why everything looks the same. Nevertheless, you can have full access to your tablet using ADB.

If you want to modify /system on your NAND. Connect the tablet to your computer via USB and fire up adb. The following commands will enable writing to /system:

Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb root
    adb remount

Enjoy.
    Note that the tablet is NOT rooted and that restarting it will bring you back to normal. You might decide that you do not need to root it any more at this stage. Otherwise you can use your full access to permanently root the tablet by hand.

PART 2: How root the tablet by hand

Install superSU from the Play Store with your tablet booted normally. It will complain about missing su binaries if you try to start it. We will fix that in the following.

On your computer, access the 805 MB system partition of the SD card (an ext4 filesystem, mounted from /dev/mmcblk0p7 on my Linux) and copy the su binary from the /xbin directory onto your computer (in the same directory where you have adb). Alternatively, get the su binary from any other source you trust.

Restart the tablet as in PART 1 and follow all the instructions to get rw on /system.
    Run the following code in your shell (bash or CMD.exe):

Code:
    adb push su /system/xbin/su
    adb shell
    chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
    ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su
    adb reboot

Done, you are rooted. After restart, you can let superSU update the su binary and you are all set.

PS. I am not allowed to post links, I am too new here. I hope it is not an issue.