Ask a question

No registration required

Unbrick ouya even if erased everything as long as you have clockworkmod on it

OP PHYSC-1

21st May 2014, 11:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 21

84 posts
How to unbrick your ouya as long as adb is on and you have a clockwork mod recovery installed

I bricked my ouya recently so i just thought i would share this,it's going to work even if you completely erased all data and all caches in your clockworkmod recovery,this includes erasing sd card and even if you have boot menu and it won't show your nand as green lit but red lit,the nand is the chip that has the firmware on it if your not sure what it is.

This is for xp but i think it will work in other windows versions but don't quote me?It took 48hrs of perseverance for me to figure this out, And then to write this, i had to flit from page to page online copying links and reading it all over again,some comes from memory,other bits of the tutorial i made up my self and sussed it out on my own with no help,i had to click rename and copy file names in places in this tutorial.But it works and it rebuilds the ouya no mater what you did.

You could have erase the memory in clockworkmod completely,even if you wiped the dalvick cache and/or thesd card patition at the same time and/or clicked full factory reset after, no matter what you erased or how you did it even if you used the whole lot of every erase option applied from clockworkmod recovery on your ouya,

This restores it to factory,it even removes the boot menu software that i added and found f@cked up my ouya completely after trying to add a boot img for the cynagenmod i put on over the top of my system by accident, then killed all data caches erasing them all i even erased my sd card data leaving my ouya completely bare of anything.

This is for others like me that only have the OUYA? next to device in the device manager in windows xp,i had so much trouble getting it going and i found a very quick easy couple of click fix for it,i could then adb command the ouya over a micro usb cable and rebuild it,You need to have the adk bundle for windows installed and the sets of tools needed for the current platforms this maybe api's not sure? just have the ones i use which are 14,16,17,18,19 and the google usb driver you may not need them all i may have more than needed but i don't know so best use what i have as it works for me,i am not going in depth on adding this but you can look here https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/setup for info on the sdk install procedure just get the platforms i have as well as the guides listed platforms to install you'll see a picture of the sdk on this page so just use that as a guide.

So on with the guide then:

STEPS

STEP 1.Turn on ouya and go into clocklworkmod recovery menu and select install from zip then select sideload adb option and leave the console running in this mode please.Go here http://visualgdb.com/UsbDriverTool/ copy and paste that link in a new tab into the address bar and head down the page a little to the bit that says Downloading click the link that says UsbDriverTool-sfx.exe,you then get a page asking to save the file so save it where you can remember.Leave the page open and move onto step 2.

STEP 2. Open a new tab in the browser and paste this link: http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/android/ouya/ into the address bar and hit enter (return key).Now connect the ouya to the pc via micro usb cable and follow step 2. and step 3. from the current webpage you are on.You should now have Ouya ADB device or similar in the device manager meaning it works now.

STEP 4.install powertoy for windows xp don't ask me for a link this is going to be something you have to do as can't remember,it allows command on right clicking a folder this is a much needed thing for this job.

STEP 3. open a new tab in the browser and go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2266629 and download the file named 1.0.68-r1 Download Changelog click the orange changelog writing to download and copy the downloaded file called RC-OUYA-1.2.995-r1_ota.zip by opening c:/ adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140321 or simlarily named folder residing in c: drive and then go into sdk folder then go into platform tools folder and paste the RC-OUYA-1.2.995-r1_ota.zip file in there, return to the c: drive ,then go to the folder called adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140321 or similarily named folder againand then into sdk folder again then highlight the platform tools folder with right click and click on open command window here leave this window open now.

STEP 4. Provided the command window is now open and the ouya was correctly set and enabled from STEP 1 and STEP 2. earlier,and STEP 3.. is completed you should now have the ouya on micro usb with the adb mode enabled and showing up as such in device manager, and you should now be sitting in the clockworkmod recovery in adb sideload mode on your ouya console ,go to the command window you left open in STEP 3. and simply type adb sideload RC-OUYA-1.2.995-r1_ota.zip ,this should now install the zip and after it is done you reboot the console from restart option in clockworkmod recovery and you should boot up fine and will have successfully repaired (unbricked) the ouya.

JOB DONE PHEW!
Last edited by PHYSC-1; 21st May 2014 at 11:36 PM.
1st December 2014, 10:52 PM   |  #2  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 21

84 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHYSC-1

How to unbrick your ouya as long as adb is on and you have a clockwork mod recovery installed

I bricked my ouya recently so i just thought i would share this,it's going to work even if you completely erased all data and all caches in your clockworkmod recovery,this includes erasing sd card and even if you have boot menu and it won't show your nand as green lit but red lit,the nand is the chip that has the firmware on it if your not sure what it is.

This is for xp but i think it will work in other windows versions but don't quote me?It took 48hrs of perseverance for me to figure this out, And then to write this, i had to flit from page to page online copying links and reading it all over again,some comes from memory,other bits of the tutorial i made up my self and sussed it out on my own with no help,i had to click rename and copy file names in places in this tutorial.But it works and it rebuilds the ouya no mater what you did.

You could have erase the memory in clockworkmod completely,even if you wiped the dalvick cache and/or thesd card patition at the same time and/or clicked full factory reset after, no matter what you erased or how you did it even if you used the whole lot of every erase option applied from clockworkmod recovery on your ouya,

This restores it to factory,it even removes the boot menu software that i added and found f@cked up my ouya completely after trying to add a boot img for the cynagenmod i put on over the top of my system by accident, then killed all data caches erasing them all i even erased my sd card data leaving my ouya completely bare of anything.

This is for others like me that only have the OUYA? next to device in the device manager in windows xp,i had so much trouble getting it going and i found a very quick easy couple of click fix for it,i could then adb command the ouya over a micro usb cable and rebuild it,You need to have the adk bundle for windows installed and the sets of tools needed for the current platforms this maybe api's not sure? just have the ones i use which are 14,16,17,18,19 and the google usb driver you may not need them all i may have more than needed but i don't know so best use what i have as it works for me,i am not going in depth on adding this but you can look here https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/setup for info on the sdk install procedure just get the platforms i have as well as the guides listed platforms to install you'll see a picture of the sdk on this page so just use that as a guide.

So on with the guide then:

STEPS

STEP 1.Turn on ouya and go into clocklworkmod recovery menu and select install from zip then select sideload adb option and leave the console running in this mode please.Go here http://visualgdb.com/UsbDriverTool/ copy and paste that link in a new tab into the address bar and head down the page a little to the bit that says Downloading click the link that says UsbDriverTool-sfx.exe,you then get a page asking to save the file so save it where you can remember.Leave the page open and move onto step 2.

STEP 2. Open a new tab in the browser and paste this link: http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/android/ouya/ into the address bar and hit enter (return key).Now connect the ouya to the pc via micro usb cable and follow step 2. and step 3. from the current webpage you are on.You should now have Ouya ADB device or similar in the device manager meaning it works now.

STEP 4.install powertoy for windows xp don't ask me for a link this is going to be something you have to do as can't remember,it allows command on right clicking a folder this is a much needed thing for this job.

STEP 3. open a new tab in the browser and go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2266629 and download the file named 1.0.68-r1 Download Changelog click the orange changelog writing to download and copy the downloaded file called RC-OUYA-1.2.995-r1_ota.zip by opening c:/ adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140321 or simlarily named folder residing in c: drive and then go into sdk folder then go into platform tools folder and paste the RC-OUYA-1.2.995-r1_ota.zip file in there, return to the c: drive ,then go to the folder called adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140321 or similarily named folder againand then into sdk folder again then highlight the platform tools folder with right click and click on open command window here leave this window open now.

STEP 4. Provided the command window is now open and the ouya was correctly set and enabled from STEP 1 and STEP 2. earlier,and STEP 3.. is completed you should now have the ouya on micro usb with the adb mode enabled and showing up as such in device manager, and you should now be sitting in the clockworkmod recovery in adb sideload mode on your ouya console ,go to the command window you left open in STEP 3. and simply type adb sideload RC-OUYA-1.2.995-r1_ota.zip ,this should now install the zip and after it is done you reboot the console from restart option in clockworkmod recovery and you should boot up fine and will have successfully repaired (unbricked) the ouya.

JOB DONE PHEW!

Quick follow up,you can sideload over adb if it's turned on,this applies to standard recovery as wel.So you can unbrick using the adb sideload method above even with a stock ouya to unbrick it guys/gals.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread