Firewater S-off Not working i fail at second bottle chugging

Search This thread

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
Lol only way you can use that is like me if you use java card for s-off change Cid an then u can get unlock from HTC as it tricks it cause you supercid so it don't know your VZW.

I like htc but they need to get a backbone and tell verizon to shove it on their blocking htcdev unlocking bootloaders. I think htc has a good enough following with the m8 that verizon would have to be stupid to press the issue on not unlocking bootloaders as verizon is getting hit hard with smartphone sales losses, gee guys maybe its because your such pompous asses and think your too good to compete but where has that philosophy gotten you ? Answer is with at&t breaking down your back door and little tmobile sticking it to you too lol. Verizon Karma is a ***** and your number one on her list lol.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I like htc but they need to get a backbone and tell verizon to shove it on their blocking htcdev unlocking bootloaders. I think htc has a good enough following with the m8 that verizon would have to be stupid to press the issue on not unlocking bootloaders as verizon is getting hit hard with smartphone sales losses, gee guys maybe its because your such pompous asses and think your too good to compete but where has that philosophy gotten you ? Answer is with at&t breaking down your back door and little tmobile sticking it to you too lol. Verizon Karma is a ***** and your number one on her list lol.
Even if htc wanted this, it isn't feasible. As long as verizon is giving them money then it doesn't matter. Htc needs every sale they can get anyway. The small percentage of us who care about an unlocked phone is insignificant.

They don't have a good enough following, s5 owners outnumber us at least 5/1. I bet there are even more G3 owners than M8 owners. It really isn't a very popular device despite it being rated the best throughout the year.

What we really need to do is get htc to create better commercials. That would increase sales. Zoe, dual camera effects, and the gestures highlighted in a commercial would do wonders for them. Nobody I know has any recognition of ever seeing the M8 advertised. Really sad considering how great this phone is.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Tigerstown

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit

I just read a article in the times magazine saying vzw second quarter profits were highest the ever been in years. An that VZW accounts for 74 percent of all smart phones. So I don't think they r hurting at all an could care less bout HTC. An myself HTC couldn't stay afloat if VZW dropped them.

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Even if htc wanted this, it isn't feasible. As long as verizon is giving them money then it doesn't matter. Htc needs every sale they can get anyway. The small percentage of us who care about an unlocked phone is insignificant.

They don't have a good enough following, s5 owners outnumber us at least 5/1. I bet there are even more G3 owners than M8 owners. It really isn't a very popular device despite it being rated the best throughout the year.

What we really need to do is get htc to create better commercials. That would increase sales. Zoe, dual camera effects, and the gestures highlighted in a commercial would do wonders for them. Nobody I know has any recognition of ever seeing the M8 advertised. Really sad considering how great this phone is.

You ain't lying. HTC marketing sucks. Look at apple the sell tons of junk to people with money cause the have unreal marketing skills an bout that sales number why HTC normally don't release real numbers Samsung claims the sold a lot of s5 which there is more the the m8 for sure but then in a article Samsung admitted of lying bout there sale numbers to look better so who really knows how many more ....can't say I'm not helping htc I have 6 HTC m8 which replaced 6 m7 ? on my account an my old mom who can't see good has the note 3 lol

Last edited:

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011

Verizons money does not mean anything if enough buyers dont buy their phones because of verizon locking the bootloaders and pumping them full of bloatware. Most people hate bloatware as it slows your phone down to turtle speed because their apps ( more like craps ) run when you dont need them. What is the good of a fast processor if their bloatware just uses up your phones resources ???? And for the record htc did ok without verizons money because look how long verizon waited to get the m7 they verizon just shot themselves in the foot because people wanted the m7 on verizon and verizon didnt care. I see htc commercials all the time but yes they are stupid with some old actor yeah smarten up htc and have a popular young actor actress on your commercials as most smartphones are purchased by young people and they relate to young actors or actresses and not some old geezer that himself probably cam barely use and does not even understand 1/2 the features of the phone. Those of us that like htc phones need to clue in our friends and relatives how bad of a choice they are making buying samsung crap htc phones are built so much better and run so much smoother. All it takes is for people to have an m8 in their hands for 5 minutes and they would be thinking samsunk and not samsung as in samsunk is sunk when compared to htc in particular to the m8 people are just too misinformed and dont think purchases through much at all otherwise more would be buying the m8 and its just pathetic how so many people are missing out on such a nice phone just because they dont take 5 minutes to look at a running m8. And verizons sales of smartphones are down the only thing they are selling a lot of is tablets which most new sales are tablets in the sales published you have to look close to see their smartphone sales were way down with most sales activations being tablets. Their smartphone activations might be going up though since July 17th when verizon prepaid finally got lte data about 2 years after the competition received 4g lte such as sprint, then at&t and tmobile no longer contracts and now tmobile is stream music all you want with no data fees. So verizon may see some sales help at least until the verizon mvno's page plus, straight talk, net 10 and many others also get verizon lte on prepaid. Verizon had just been too greedy and thought they were too good to compete and that has taken them down a notch with at&t knocking at their back door closing the gap..

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

I just read a article in the times magazine saying vzw second quarter profits were highest the ever been in years. An that VZW accounts for 74 percent of all smart phones. So I don't think they r hurting at all an could care less bout HTC. An myself HTC couldn't stay afloat if VZW dropped them.

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

You ain't lying. HTC marketing sucks. Look at apple the sell tons of junk to people with money cause the have unreal marketing skills an bout that sales number why HTC normally don't release real numbers Samsung claims the sold a lot of s5 which there is more the the m8 for sure but then in a article Samsung admitted of lying bout there sale numbers to look better so who really knows how many more ....can't say I'm not helping htc I have 6 HTC m8 which replaced 6 m7 �� on my account an my old mom who can't see good has the note 3 lol

verizons sales of smartphones are down the only thing they are selling a lot of is tablets which most new sales are tablets in the sales published you have to look close to see their smartphone sales were way down with most sales activations being tablets. Their smartphone activations might be going up though since July 17th when verizon prepaid finally got lte data about 2 years after the competition received 4g lte such as sprint, then at&t and tmobile no longer contracts and now tmobile is stream music all you want with no data fees. So verizon may see some sales help at least until the verizon mvno's page plus, straight talk, net 10 and many others also get verizon lte on prepaid. Verizon had just been too greedy and thought they were too good to compete and that has taken them down a notch with at&t knocking at their back door closing the gap..

Last edited:

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Verizons money does not mean anything if enough buyers dont buy their phones because of verizon locking the bootloaders and pumping them full of bloatware. Most people hate bloatware as it slows your phone down to turtle speed because their apps ( more like craps ) run when you dont need them. What is the good of a fast processor if their bloatware just uses up your phones resources ???? And for the record htc did ok without verizons money because look how long verizon waited to get the m7 they verizon just shot themselves in the foot because people wanted the m7 on verizon and verizon didnt care. I see htc commercials all the time but yes they are stupid with some old actor yeah smarten up htc and have a popular young actor actress on your commercials as most smartphones are purchased by young people and they relate to young actors or actresses and not some old geezer that himself probably cam barely use and does not even understand 1/2 the features of the phone. Those of us that like htc phones need to clue in our friends and relatives how bad of a choice they are making buying samsung crap htc phones are built so much better and run so much smoother. All it takes is for people to have an m8 in their hands for 5 minutes and they would be thinking samsunk and not samsung as in samsunk is sunk when compared to htc in particular to the m8 people are just too misinformed and dont think purchases through much at all otherwise more would be buying the m8 and its just pathetic how so many people are missing out on such a nice phone just because they dont take 5 minutes to look at a running m8. And verizons sales of smartphones are down the only thing they are selling a lot of is tablets which most new sales are tablets in the sales published you have to look close to see their smartphone sales were way down with most sales activations being tablets. Their smartphone activations might be going up though since July 17th when verizon prepaid finally got lte data about 2 years after the competition received 4g lte such as sprint, then at&t and tmobile no longer contracts and now tmobile is stream music all you want with no data fees. So verizon may see some sales help at least until the verizon mvno's page plus, straight talk, net 10 and many others also get verizon lte on prepaid. Verizon had just been too greedy and thought they were too good to compete and that has taken them down a notch with at&t knocking at their back door closing the gap..

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

verizons sales of smartphones are down the only thing they are selling a lot of is tablets which most new sales are tablets in the sales published you have to look close to see their smartphone sales were way down with most sales activations being tablets. Their smartphone activations might be going up though since July 17th when verizon prepaid finally got lte data about 2 years after the competition received 4g lte such as sprint, then at&t and tmobile no longer contracts and now tmobile is stream music all you want with no data fees. So verizon may see some sales help at least until the verizon mvno's page plus, straight talk, net 10 and many others also get verizon lte on prepaid. Verizon had just been too greedy and thought they were too good to compete and that has taken them down a notch with at&t knocking at their back door closing the gap..
The average buyer has no awareness or cares how limited their phone is out of the box. Of course everyone hates bloat ware, but even if the phone had an unlocked bootloader out of the box, do you think the average user would do anything with it? Probably not. Most users wouldn't go through the hassle of figuring out how to delete system apps or debloat their device, let alone flashing anything without a graphical user interface.

You are mistaken if you think Verizon is losing money on smartphone sales because of this. Their sales are better than ever, and we as a community have nearly 0 pull on their company. Verizon wants our phones locked down for less warranty returns and "network stability" , and HTC doesn't care because they're getting sales despite Verizon being a PITA. Verizon wants bloat ware because it's free advertising for them, they make money off the poor services that are pre-installed on devices.

The only two companies that can afford to say "we aren't letting you sell our phone unless you let us decide what goes on it" is Apple and Samsung. Apple has done this for years, Samsung could probably do it now and get similar results. If HTC said this, Verizon would say "goodbye". They can easily afford to lose HTC. Without Apple, or to an extent Samsung, Verizon would be bankrupt.

Most people only care about having their phone working out of the box with no user modification at all. All that matters is advertising and recognition. Without those two what do you have? Lots of expensive paperweights that don't get sold because nobody recognizes your phone.

Unfortunately, "Samsung Galaxy" has become synonymous with "Android" just like "Apple iPhone" is synonymous with "iOS". It's up to HTC and other companies to increase brand recognition and take sales away from them, having an unlocked bootloader and easily root able device is not a priority for them, nor should it be.

I would like to see your data on Verizon only gaining money on tablets, because there's no way that's true.

Last edited:

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
The average buyer has no awareness or cares how limited their phone is out of the box. Of course everyone hates bloat ware, but even if the phone had an unlocked bootloader out of the box, do you think the average user would do anything with it? Probably not. Most users wouldn't go through the hassle of figuring out how to delete system apps or debloat their device, let alone flashing anything without a graphical user interface.

You are mistaken if you think Verizon is losing money on smartphone sales because of this. Their sales are better than ever, and we as a community have nearly 0 pull on their company. Verizon wants our phones locked down for less warranty returns and "network stability" , and HTC doesn't care because they're getting sales despite Verizon being a PITA. Verizon wants bloat ware because it's free advertising for them, they make money off the poor services that are pre-installed on devices.

The only two companies that can afford to say "we aren't letting you sell our phone unless you let us decide what goes on it" is Apple and Samsung. Apple has done this for years, Samsung could probably do it now and get similar results. If HTC said this, Verizon would say "goodbye". They can easily afford to lose HTC. Without Apple, or to an extent Samsung, Verizon would be bankrupt.

Most people only care about having their phone working out of the box with no user modification at all. All that matters is advertising and recognition. Without those two what do you have? Lots of expensive paperweights that don't get sold because nobody recognizes your phone.

Unfortunately, "Samsung Galaxy" has become synonymous with "Android" just like "Apple iPhone" is synonymous with "iOS". It's up to HTC and other companies to increase brand recognition and take sales away from them, having an unlocked bootloader and easily root able device is not a priority for them, nor should it be.

I would like to see your data on Verizon only gaining money on tablets, because there's no way that's true.

Look at the numbers they dont lie your seeing total numbers meaning spartphone with tablet activations added on it well documented its why verizon has revised plan costs and why they finally let lte on prepaid because they were losing out because they were being too greedy and the other carriers mainly at&t has profited from verizons being so greedy and at&t gophone and now cricket plus all other at&t mvno's have all profited from allowing lte data on prepaid. Verizon finally figured out they were losing too much ground by keeping a tight leash on lte and their declining smartphone sales let them know that. Last fall verizon ceo said in a news conference that their prepaid would probably never get lte ? So tell me what prompted them to do a complete 180 well you can contribute that to slow smartphone sales. The only way verizon is competing is because they were forced to, their greed had hurt them being so errogant thinking they were holding all the cards only to find out their bluff had come back to bite them on the ass.

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Look at the numbers they dont lie your seeing total numbers meaning spartphone with tablet activations added on it well documented its why verizon has revised plan costs and why they finally let lte on prepaid because they were losing out because they were being too greedy and the other carriers mainly at&t has profited from verizons being so greedy and at&t gophone and now cricket plus all other at&t mvno's have all profited from allowing lte data on prepaid. Verizon finally figured out they were losing too much ground by keeping a tight leash on lte and their declining smartphone sales let them know that. Last fall verizon ceo said in a news conference that their prepaid would probably never get lte ? So tell me what prompted them to do a complete 180 well you can contribute that to slow smartphone sales. The only way verizon is competing is because they were forced to, their greed had hurt them being so errogant thinking they were holding all the cards only to find out their bluff had come back to bite them on the ass.

Oh and your saying most people dont care about being able to remove bloatware check again, just like you probably thought that most people dont care about phones being carrier locked, try again they just passed the law making cell unlocking legal obama just signed it and it even talks about making it easy for people that are not tech savy to do so maybe its coming just like cell unlocking made legal was and people not tech savvy get help. And just because samsung thinks they are like verizon samsung got busted for lying about their reported profits look that up too. And saying when android people think of samsung that is wrong when thinking android people think of google and now motorola since I believe it was google that bought motorola. And the only thing people think when think iphone is that is for old people lol, and another is such a tiny screen they are just over rated too.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Oh and your saying most people dont care about being able to remove bloatware check again, just like you probably thought that most people dont care about phones being carrier locked, try again they just passed the law making cell unlocking legal obama just signed it and it even talks about making it easy for people that are not tech savy to do so maybe its coming just like cell unlocking made legal was and people not tech savvy get help. And just because samsung thinks they are like verizon samsung got busted for lying about their reported profits look that up too. And saying when android people think of samsung that is wrong when thinking android people think of google and now motorola since I believe it was google that bought motorola. And the only thing people think when think iphone is that is for old people lol, and another is such a tiny screen they are just over rated too.

And verizon wanted a verizon logo on the front of the htc one m7 and how many months later than at&t, sprint, and tmobile did verizon get the htc one m7 ? And did the htc one m7 verizon version come with a verizon logo on the front of the phone ????????? That says it all verizon caved and never got the verizon logo on the front of the htc one m7 so there you have it htc stuck it to verizon and said no and verizon is the one that caved and not htc so point taken htc can take on verizon and win...

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I simply don't agree with most of the things you are mentioning. I think your views on what the majority of the market wants aren't right. But you're entitled to your own opinion.

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
And I do not agree with the things your saying either. And I believe your views on what people want in the market are not right either, and the cell unlocking law passing is just a sign that people do want phones to work as they want and just because most people are not tech enough to root and remove bloatware does not mean that it wont be made easier so everyone can do it, just as the sunshine app does what firewater does only anyone can easily use sunshine as its easy and does all the work for you. And yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but like everyone says opinions are like a holes everyone has one...

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

Correction I listed samsung lied about profits it was not profits it was that samsung lied about the number of sales of the s5 samsung lied and said they sold more s5's than they actually did so take the number of listed s5 sales at face value, maybe htc should start lying and over stating their sales numbers on the m8's. How is samsung lying overstating their s5 sales in any way not a dirty tatic by samsung...

vacoray

Dec 6, 2009
Yeah so I"am really curious to know if the firewater has been changed at all including the download to rule out this being done deliberately, as firewater worked for me 2 weeks ago on the same new verizon software and now all of a sudden firewater no longer works ? Makes you wonder doesnt it ?

does anyone have a link to a firewater that worked that is not on there site now?

T4rd

Jun 15, 2010
Reposting this from another thread that linked to this one since it's relevant and I don't want you all thinking it's Firewater that's the issue here (as in trying to force you to buy Sunshine):

I'm on my 4th replacement M8 (all due to various hardware defects) and this last one seems to not be compatible with Firewater; keep getting the "Whelp, this sucks.." message that it can't work on my device. Just tried using the exact same Firewater file on my defective M8 (that I'm about to send back) and it chugged all 3 bottles fine and is unlocked/S-Off again (so now I'll have to lock and S-On it again before returning it).

HTC is going to repair my current phone though and send it back out to me since this replacement phone is a bit off too (the display is way too warm/red compared to the others I've had). So I don't want to pay for Sunshine when I'm going to be getting my old phone back in a week or two and if the old Firewater method is still compatible with it (and if it it isn't for some reason, I would have to pay for another Sunshine license for it since it's only per device ). The only differences between software or hardware versions I see in the About menu is that this new replacement is on Hardware version "0004". So I guess they've actually rendered the Firewater method useless though a minor change in hardware. And you can rule out the Firewater devs intentionally breaking Firewater in order to get you to buy Sunshine too since I just used it again on my old phone without an issue.

So if anyone has any methods for me to permanently root without using Firewater or Sunshine, I'd greatly appreciated it! I'm only looking to use Xposed installer/modules on the stock ROM, so I really don't care about flashing custom ROMs/kernels.

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
Reposting this from another thread that linked to this one since it's relevant and I don't want you all thinking it's Firewater that's the issue here (as in trying to force you to buy Sunshine):

I'm on my 4th replacement M8 (all due to various hardware defects) and this last one seems to not be compatible with Firewater; keep getting the "Whelp, this sucks.." message that it can't work on my device. Just tried using the exact same Firewater file on my defective M8 (that I'm about to send back) and it chugged all 3 bottles fine and is unlocked/S-Off again (so now I'll have to lock and S-On it again before returning it).

HTC is going to repair my current phone though and send it back out to me since this replacement phone is a bit off too (the display is way too warm/red compared to the others I've had). So I don't want to pay for Sunshine when I'm going to be getting my old phone back in a week or two and if the old Firewater method is still compatible with it (and if it it isn't for some reason, I would have to pay for another Sunshine license for it since it's only per device ). The only differences between software or hardware versions I see in the About menu is that this new replacement is on Hardware version "0004". So I guess they've actually rendered the Firewater method useless though a minor change in hardware. And you can rule out the Firewater devs intentionally breaking Firewater in order to get you to buy Sunshine too since I just used it again on my old phone without an issue.

So if anyone has any methods for me to permanently root without using Firewater or Sunshine, I'd greatly appreciated it! I'm only looking to use Xposed installer/modules on the stock ROM, so I really don't care about flashing custom ROMs/kernels.

I'm pretty sure firewater and sunshine are your only two options.

C'mon, folks, use the search button.....

I think Sunshine is the only option now.
Most devices that are being purchased lately have 4.4.3.

Not that anyone who bothered to use "search" might find multiple threads on this issue with the answers or anything, but:

4.4.2 - Firewater should still work and the original S-OFF exploit should to (if Jcase has still made it available)
4.4.3 - Sunshine ONLY
4.4.4 - Nothing available yet. Jcase suggests Sunshine might be updated by January (but don't ask....it's bad form).

There have to be at least a half dozen threads on the same topic. I recognize it's a Q&A thread, but try to at least READ the through the forum.

Reactions: The Stig 04

cj2566

Apr 13, 2010
Scottsbluff
Not that anyone who bothered to use "search" might find multiple threads on this issue with the answers or anything, but:

4.4.2 - Firewater should still work and the original S-OFF exploit should to (if Jcase has still made it available)
4.4.3 - Sunshine ONLY
4.4.4 - Nothing available yet. Jcase suggests Sunshine might be updated by January (but don't ask....it's bad form).

There have to be at least a half dozen threads on the same topic. I recognize it's a Q&A thread, but try to at least READ the through the forum.
Pretentious much?

We know what works on which firmware. However, some people have updated their device. Others have been shipped replacements with updated software, and everyone knows nothing works for 4.4.4 at this time.

Just saying common sense plays a large factor here.

Maybe I'm a cranky old man but the umpteenth time the same question is asked, things start to get old. Just look at the list of questions in the Q&A section, about a dozen of them are the exact same question. Anyone who can read and has an xda i.d. could answer the question if they'd just look. If you think that's pretentious, asking users to read a forum before posting a thread, my apologies. Brand new M8 or replacement; it's all the same.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Maybe I'm a cranky old man but the umpteenth time the same question is asked, things start to get old. Just look at the list of questions in the Q&A section, about a dozen of them are the exact same question. Anyone who can read and has an xda i.d. could answer the question if they'd just look. If you think that's pretentious, asking users to read a forum before posting a thread, my apologies. Brand new M8 or replacement; it's all the same.
    Yes, you gotta uninstall it and leave the driver
    For all we know the people that made firewater joined in with the team that made sunshine and both share the $25 per device fee.

Ummm, the people who made firewater are the same people who came up with sunshine. No great conspiracy here.
    My Firewater file's MD5 is f63ac6f73bf369cfcc5b1c046221fabf and that worked for me on my second try.

I've been following this Firewater vs SunShine S-Off thing, and while I generally support the idea of a fee for a guaranteed S-Off, I think it's a tad unreasonable that they want $25 per device. I mean, how many people are gonna need it for more than one? You got the one, and if it works like it says, what's the other one? Your next phone? That's not gonna be a ton of people. And for those it is, so what? They paid. So many apps are per user for however many devices; you'd think a more expensive one would have looser, not more restrictive licensing.

But I also understand where the devs are coming from. They bricked a bunch of phones to get us this exploit, and if you got the One M8 for $200 or less (I got it for far less) and you saved hundreds by not buying it unlocked or the GPE model, $25 for S-Off ain't a bad deal.

I'm actually surprised custom ROMs don't cost money. It's a great thing what our developers here, and elsewhere, do for our devices. Of course if you pay for a ROM you want it to work flawlessly. How would y'all feel about an Android custom firmware ecosystem where you paid for (or subscribed annually to) your ROM of choice, got updates via email, good one on one support, and with that money, the developers were able to... I don't know... do more somehow? If the prices were fair I'd like to see developers get paid more.

So, I'm not surprised to see an exploit have a fee. It does seem high and the license restrictive. But I think, if it's a sure thing, it's not a step in the wrong direction.

Charging for roms is not allowed here. The whole spirit of Android is open source and sharing. Charging for roms wouldn't be great for the community for a lot of reasons. Services such as s-off I can understand because we're saving a ton of money not getting a developer edition phone. $25 isn't unreasonable.

Main reason why we love android so much is because of the spirit of open source and sharing. Imagine if the big aosp rom names, such as cm and aokp start charging to use their roms. The countless of other custom roms that use their base as a source would be unable to use it. All the great development and features we get wouldn't be pushed by different rom developers because each would be building completely from source.

Trust me, everyone charging for a rom is exactly what we all don't want. Just donate when you can, no rom developer is looking to become rich anyway. Just give what you can so they can get something for their hobby and obvious talents. They appreciate anything you can give.

C'mon, folks, use the search button.....

I think Sunshine is the only option now.
    Most devices that are being purchased lately have 4.4.3.

4.4.3 - Sunshine ONLY