Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

My QWERTY replacement suggestions for the G2

OP sharptv

23rd May 2014, 08:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 67

308 posts
Hello everyone,

I have been using the g2 for many years, probably used around 3 of them, however its hardware is aging and I have moved onto other devices, though I still keep my G2 as a backup phone. I am sure many of you here are die hard qwerty fans like me, and would apprecaite an upgrade, as such I decided to list a few phones that could be upgrades to your g2 below.

Phones I have personally used:

T-Mobile mytouch 4g slide
Specifications
Dev support for this device is pretty much dead, as the last active dev for it spoilt his phone, however there's still a 99% functional cm11(4.4.0) rom for it. This device feels really fast compared to the g2 and it is an overclock monster. Its keyboard doesnt feel as comfortable as the G2's, but it is still decent. You can easily unlock it and use it on any GSM network, it takes a mini sim and supports much higher 3g speed than the g2. It also has a removeable battery and sdcard slot.

Verizon Droid 4
Specifications
It has official cm11 support and an actively developed kernel. It is very fast thanks to its 1gb of ram, apps no longer get killed due to low ram. It has the best keyboard on the market, and once you've used it, there's no going back. It takes a micro sim and you can use it on any GSM network outside the US, with a few exceptions though. Unfortunately its battery is not removeable, however it does come with a sdcard slot and has 8gb internal storage. Used ones are dirt cheap on eBay.
You can choose the Droid 3 if removeable battery is a must for you, everything is the same as the Droid 4 except no ffc and a slower clocked cpu, and no LTE if you're using it on Verizon. It takes a mini sim

Blackberry Q10
Specifications
You are reading it right, yes, Blackberry. First of all, it has the fastest hardware among all the phones here, its OS is pretty much stock android with an overlay, and you can install just about any android app directly onto it (play store doesnt't work, so only sideload), so essentially it can be classifed as an android phone. It has a really good keyboard which is expected of a Blackberry, removeable battery and sdcard slot. If you want LTE you can just get the variant which works with your carrier's frequency.

Phone which I have not used myself

T-Mobile LG Optimus F3Q
Specifications
I can't comment much on this phone as I have not used it myself, it is currently only available through T-Mobile. It has the largest battery among all the phones here. As at the time of this post, it does not have a forum on xda, however, someone has managed to root this phone already (with a few hicups), you can read more about it here

I hope you guys will find this guide useful, it shall serve as my contribution to this forum as being on it for so long.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharptv For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,970

6,114 posts
More
I didn't realize you can use the droid4 with most carriers, I take it you must unlock the sim though. Good to know thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th May 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #3  
Flag Douarnenez (finistère, bretagne, france)
Thanks Meter: 65

484 posts
Donate to Me
More
T-Mobile MyTouch Q (LG c800)
T-Mobile MyTouch Q (Huawei u8730)
Samsung galaxy s relay 4G
Sony Ericson Xperia Mini Pro
Sony Ericson Xperia Pro
T-Mobile mytouch 3g slide
Last edited by magikstar; 24th May 2014 at 06:15 PM.
24th May 2014, 07:48 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

308 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

I didn't realize you can use the droid4 with most carriers, I take it you must unlock the sim though. Good to know thanks

You do not need to perform any unlocking as long as your sim is not from a US carrier.
24th May 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,970

6,114 posts
More
Ah but it is, T-Mobile

25th May 2014, 01:17 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 985

865 posts
Donate to Me
More
The Motorola Photon Q looks good as well, pretty good development as it has official PacMan and an AOSP ROM. Unfortunately I can't have any of these phones as I'd have to import them from America for lots of money. I'm might just be a traitor and get a non qwerty phone next as long as the screen is so big that typing isn't a problem. It'd be cool to get my hands on a HD2.
25th May 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

308 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCDreamOn

The Motorola Photon Q looks good as well, pretty good development as it has official PacMan and an AOSP ROM. Unfortunately I can't have any of these phones as I'd have to import them from America for lots of money. I'm might just be a traitor and get a non qwerty phone next as long as the screen is so big that typing isn't a problem. It'd be cool to get my hands on a HD2.

The Photon Q does not have a sim card slot, you'll have to perform a hardware mod and it is quite tedious, however it is dirt cheap. A brand new in box one can be had for less than 90 usd. Personally I would suggest the droid 4 (or droid 3 if you want removable battery), a used one can be had for around 60 usd.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharptv For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th December 2014, 07:28 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 11

117 posts
More
I was also forced to retire my G2 as it no longer charges right nor does it hold it charges even new batteries are being put in, plus it's getting so dangerously hot that I can no longer feel safe using it.
I am happy to say though that the LG Optimus F3Q by T-Mobile is a good replacement for the G2.
It's not the perfect replacement but it is certainly an improvement.
The keyboard layout is not as nice as the G2 as there is only one Caps key on the left instead on both side like on the G2.
The keypress feedback is also not as nice as the keyboard on the G2.
But everything else is almost an improvement. The Android run much smoother with 1gb of ram and the better processor.
However, like the G2, the F3Q is only useable if you root it and have Link2SD running on it plus the 2gb ext2 partition on the SD card as the internal memory is simply not enough for a practical android user.

Yes, for the same price of the F3Q, you can get a much faster phone with much bigger and better screen with double the rams and better looking phone like the Nexus5. That would be my choice of phone to get if I can give up the keyboard.
However if you need a GSM android phone with physical keyboard, the F3Q is really the only choice left for you.
Last edited by misbehave; 5th December 2014 at 07:32 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread