[HOWTO] / [GUIDE] SPH-L720 Domestic SIM Unlock T-Mobile:AT&T:metroPCS:Straighttalk

Search This thread

ricketkm

Oct 9, 2007
NJ
Been up all night trying to unlock my GS4 but I am unable to find a good MDC tar file. The ones that I download odin will not take them does anybody have a good link that still works ? I am trying to get this phone unlock for tmobile use.

M1lt

Oct 5, 2014
MDC Modem link

Been up all night trying to unlock my GS4 but I am unable to find a good MDC tar file. The ones that I download odin will not take them does anybody have a good link that still works ? I am trying to get this phone unlock for tmobile use.

Sent the link in PM. I don't have enough posts to put it in the post.

---------- Post added at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

hello sir. So ive followed everything from beginning to end and just cant just quite get it. I started with a stock sph-l720 ng2 build. Odin flash auto root. Flashed mdc modem. Int'l unlocked just fine. Set back to mtp+adb in diag. And then when i follow the rest of the steps i cant seem to get it. Steps 9 and 11 is where i get thrown off and someone else is saying dont do the build.prop lines. So now im just all mixed up. Please help im losing it. Been here all day trying to get it. Id appreciate it.

Sorry for just responding. I don't check he forums, but I get PM notifications in my email.

Did you get it working? If not, when you did the Int'l unlock did your phone restart? What parts about steps 9 through 11 are giving you problems?

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
My device was already unlocked for international use by sprint, does that make any difference?

Then just run the domestic unlock steps. To get into the service menu You may have to key input Q and then 0000. E.V.A. has a post on it. Then again you may not. I'm pretty sure it was for any baseband above the 4.3 builds.

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Free mobile app

aristowong

Sep 29, 2009
<ID:0/009> Removed!!
<ID:0/009> Added!!
<ID:0/009> Odin v.3 engine (ID:9)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Erase...
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/009> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/009> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/009> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I cannot seem to flash the rom via Odin. Can someone help please?
It gives me a SW REV error

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
<ID:0/009> Odin v.3 engine (ID:9)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Erase...
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/009> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/009> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/009> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I cannot seem to flash the rom via Odin. Can someone help please?
It gives me a SW REV error
Do people not read? You cannot downgrade your software after you have Knox which I am 90% sure you have. To do the unlock you only have to downgrade the MODEM which is able to be downgraded with Knox. That file is in the OP.

xXNahNahXx

Dec 30, 2013
New York
Have to use the app from here: http://xdaforums.com/sprint-galaxy-s5/general/sprint-samsung-unlocker-unlock-sprint-t2928250 for international unlock. If you need to use it domestically, then you will need to install the MK5 modem and then follow the steps from this thread. It seems to work fine with ATT and ATT based networks (Cricket, Straight Talk, etc) but not so much for T-Mobile.

Hi i tried looking all over to find how to downgrade to MK5 but no luck, do u think u, or anyone else for that matter, could link me to a guide on downgrading to MK5 for the l720t, as well as the proper odin tool? id appreciate it very much

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Hi i tried looking all over to find how to downgrade to MK5 but no luck, do u think u, or anyone else for that matter, could link me to a guide on downgrading to MK5 for the l720t, as well as the proper odin tool? id appreciate it very much

The MK5 file I found was in bin format. So, you need to:

Boot the phone into Download Mode
Open Odin as Admin (Odin 3.07, 3.09, 3.10, any of those will work)
Put the modem.bin in the Phone or CP slot, depending on which version of Odin you are using.
Plug in the phone and make sure Odin recognizes it and hit start.
Once it reboots, verify that it took by going to Settings / About Phone

That's it. Just make sure you don't check off repartition for some reason. It will be disabled by default. F.Reset.Time and Auto Reboot checked off is fine.

Modem: https://mega.co.nz/#!bIlXhYwL!4d9OUeoBxLfEtbMC0L82i7pPl7AkMfFYsHVX9ixFTnw
Odin: https://mega.co.nz/#!ScEQlJ6Q!Inix_jB0eI_imafbkHonx40O0W5VihlN84b9MF7WUMY

xXNahNahXx

Dec 30, 2013
New York
The MK5 file I found was in bin format. So, you need to:

Boot the phone into Download Mode
Open Odin as Admin (Odin 3.07, 3.09, 3.10, any of those will work)
Put the modem.bin in the Phone or CP slot, depending on which version of Odin you are using.
Plug in the phone and make sure Odin recognizes it and hit start.
Once it reboots, verify that it took by going to Settings / About Phone

That's it. Just make sure you don't check off repartition for some reason. It will be disabled by default. F.Reset.Time and Auto Reboot checked off is fine.

Modem: https://mega.co.nz/#!bIlXhYwL!4d9OUeoBxLfEtbMC0L82i7pPl7AkMfFYsHVX9ixFTnw
Odin: https://mega.co.nz/#!ScEQlJ6Q!Inix_jB0eI_imafbkHonx40O0W5VihlN84b9MF7WUMY

Thank you so much! and after this process would i be able to use boost mobile on it?

ricketkm

Oct 9, 2007
NJ
Ok so I got my phone to work on T-mobile but I am not getting lte on the phone or data. Also my sprint number is still stored with that phone because when I insert a tmobile sim card and the phone it says voicemail, so i think that means I wont be able to get my T-mobile voicemail on that phone. Is there a way to remove my sprint number feom the unlocked phone?

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
Ok so I got my phone to work on T-mobile but I am not getting lte on the phone or data. Also my sprint number is still stored with that phone because when I insert a tmobile sim card and the phone it says voicemail, so i think that means I wont be able to get my T-mobile voicemail on that phone. Is there a way to remove my sprint number feom the unlocked phone?
Jesus people read before you unlock. You cannot get LTE on ATT or T-Mobile on the Sprint GS4. The bands are not supported.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com

The other guy was right about needing to pay attention. It's been mentioned repeatedly that LTE won't work on anything other than Sprint based service. As far as not getting data, you have to add your APN for T-Mobile.

Reactions: daniel4653

ricketkm

Oct 9, 2007
NJ
Can someone please share a download link for L720VPUFNG2, want to put my phone on the lastest modem thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910P using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

rocco24

Jun 17, 2010
request info

I called sprint to get unlock code so I don't have to go through all of this I was giver a MSL code but I am not sure how to use it
I put in a Tmobile SIM card but nothing happens. Anyone can help ?

ricketkm

Oct 9, 2007
NJ
I called sprint to get unlock code so I don't have to go through all of this I was giver a MSL code but I am not sure how to use it

Sprint unlock mines also but i followed a YouTube video and it worked fine. Only thing I have to do is change the APN to T-Mobile and update back to NG2 modem.

How to Unlock SIM on Sprint Galaxy S4!: http://youtu.be/lawcT1qqnLA

Sent from my SM-N910P using XDA Free mobile app

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com

The reason people have to go through all of this is because Sprint can't unlock the phone for use with T-Mobile, or any other GSM service in the States. This information is not difficult to find.

rocco24

Jun 17, 2010
???????

Are you sure it works with Tmobile
Note that this method doesn’t work currently for AT&T and T-Mobile. We suspect that Sprint has locked it down for use on other U.S. networks.

Sprint unlock mines also but i followed a YouTube video and it worked fine. Only thing I have to do is change the APN to T-Mobile and update back to NG2 modem.

How to Unlock SIM on Sprint Galaxy S4!:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [HOWTO] / [GUIDE] SPH-L720 Domestic SIM Unlock T-Mobile:AT&T:metroPCS:Straighttalk

Streamlined Guide for Domestic T-Mobile GSM Unlock for SPH-L720

Credit for all of this goes to @autoprime and @nicotheandroidguy

A few notes: I used Windows 7 for the odin flashes , my phone is a SPH-L720 and it is not active on the Sprint network, also the sim card from t-mobile was inactive (brand new from t-mobile store.) and it has a bad esn. I am located in the Phoenix az market so I'm able to take advantage of the 1900mhz band that tmobile has here.

I'm unsure of how this will work with mnvos or other primary carriers and frankly I don't care at the moment, this is my primary phone. Update: confirmed hspa+ for tmobile, metroPCS, straight talk and AT&T.

I HAD MY NEW UNACTIVATED TMOBILE SIM CARD IN THIS ENTIRE TIME

1) First I reverted my rom to a stock MF9 rooted touchwiz rom, instructions and one click odin here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486134 I’m trying not to straight copy and paste someone else’s work so take a look at that post if you need a clean start. If you are coming from non stock you will need to boot into stock recovery and wipe data/cache before you get started. (I also later used SAC’s rom after a failed attempt at an AOKP fix and it worked as well ) you can switch to any ROM later and the unlock will stick.

2)I rebooted the phone and followed the instructions listed here in post #1 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2415587

3) I went to the dialer and typed *#0011# which brought me to the "service mode" Menu.

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE GETTING THE HIDDEN MENU TO OPEN DO NOT FEAR! I had a ton of trouble at first. In some builds you need to activate an option by adding a line to your build.prop or changing the no flag in efs/hiddenmenu to ON. Google it, there is a ton of help out there.

4) Press the left menu softbutton (the menu button that lights up and vibrates when you touch it) then press the either the button “select” or “Key Input” and type the number 1 or 2 into the box, if nothing happens press menu and select the “back “ button then repeat. This app is sort of like a tin can radio, you can kind of tell that it’s working, but it doesn’t work well.

Depending on if you pressed 1 or 2 in the dialogue box it will take you into either an UMTS or CDMA menu. If you are in the umts menu, press the menu button and select back, this should then proceed to the next step.

5) Select CDMA, then 1.COMMON, press next page twice until you reach page three of COMMON and select 8.PREF MODE SET and select GSM_WCDMA_ONLY

6) Press menu and back until you are at the main menu and select [1]UMTS, then select [1]DEBUG SCREEN, then select [6]PHONE CONTROL, select [2]FAKE SECURITY CONTROL and make sure it is set to ON
    7)Press menu and back and select [3] NAS CONTROL. We are going to check a few different settings in this menu so remember how to get here cause I don’t want to repeat myself.
    [1] CIPHERING CONTROL = OFF
    [2] INTEGRITY CONTROL =ON
    [3] SIM CLASS CONTROL = UMTS
    [4] REVISION CONTROL = DO NOT TOUCH
    [5] RRC(HSPA) CONTROL = DO NOT TOUCH
    [6] DUALMODE IMPROVEMENT CONTROL= DO NOT TOUCH
    [7] NAS AVOID SECURITY CONTROL= OFF, 0
    [8] BIP BLOCK = 1

8) Press menu and back twice, you should be on the PHONE CONTROL menu. Select [7] NETWORK CONTROL, select [1] GFC and make sure that it is set to [1]GSM/(E)GPRS/WCDMA REL8 .

9) Press menu and back and select [2] BAND SELECTION and select WCDMA/GSM ALL for both WCDMA and GSM band preferences. I selected the ALL choice for LTE as well even though I know it isn’t supported for TMOBILE.

10) Under the NETWORK CONTROL menu we just came from select [4] AQUISITION ORDER and change it to [3]UMTS_GSM

11) Press menu and back until you are in the PHONE CONTROL menu and select [5] SIMULATION , press the [2] SW WATCHDOG button 6(six) times and then the [3] HW WATCHDOG 6(six) times. Nothing will happen at all to let you know if you have done this correcctly but as soon as you finish the sixth press on HW WATCHDOG reboot the phone manually:manually:manually IMMEDIATELY . I’m not sure what this does or why this works but @nicotheandroidguy seems to have divined that this is the vital part of the process.

YOUR PHONE STILL WILL NOT HAVE DATA OR VOICE WHEN YOU REBOOT FROM THE WATCHDOG TAPS DO NOT PANIC!!!!!!!!!!! (hopefullly you have your towel with you)

12) WIFI that sonofa up and search for apn settings shortcut and build.prop editor in the Play Store.

Go into the build.prop editor and add the following two lines:

ril.sales_code=LOL
    ro.csc.sales_code=LOL

REBOOT PHONE MANUALLY now.

Now Install and create a shortcut on the home screen and select to open. Press the menu soft key and select add apn.

Use:

Name: T-Mobile
    APN: epc.tmobile.com or fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices)
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS proxy:
    MMS port:
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 260
    Authentication type:
    APN type: default,supl,admin,dun,mms

13) Go into your android settings, select wireless networks, you should see the network mode set as wcdma only do not change this, we set this in the Service Mode Menu , Check that your roaming settings are set to for roaming data/ international data etc.also make sure that there are no roaming guards left on. (roaming guards will only allow you to uncheck GSM and GSM data under international roaming.)

14) reboot
    15) profit

At this point I had full access to the TMOBILE UMTS/HSPA+ network and voice/text/mms were working.

At this point you may change roms, be careful not to update past mf9 as you may be unable to downgrade to mdc. YOU MUST DOWNGRADE TO MDC MODEM FOR THIS TO WORK.
    If you use a non touchwiz rom you can still access the tellinfo menu by pressing *#*#4636#*#* and selecting WCDMA only and manually adding the apn.

GOOD LUCK! let me know what needs changed in the guide as well.

If you have questions it's useful to know your Baseband /kernel/ rom.
    Potential BREAKTHROUGH!

It seems (I am in the process of working this out right now) that the FULL service menu CAN be accessed on ANY modem (including NAE)
    I found this information while looking to domestic sim unlock the Galaxy S4 Mini Model SPH-L520.
    E:V:A has cracked the service menu for the S4 Mini which ALSO works for the SPH-L720 model!
    Follow his tutorial here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52255287#post52255287

But the steps are as follows. Dial *#0011# and then hit:

==> [MENU] + [Back]
    ==> [MENU] + [Key Input] + "Q"
    ==> [MENU] + [Key Input] + "0000"
    ==> <wait ~5-10 seconds>

I have tested and it WORKS on the S4 NAE modem!! All props to E:V:A. I'm sure he wasn't aware that his method also WORKS on S4 for Sprint, since he is using the S4 international European version. Looks like possible one won't need to downgrade the modem anymore to make this work :)

Hit thanks if this helped you out, and give E:V:A some love
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2928250

DONT FORGET TO DONATE if you can. He's spent a lot of time and research on this.

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Free mobile app
    Thank you for this thread, I will try again with these steps.

A few notes:

3) i went to the dialer and typed *##0011# which brought me to the "service mode" menu.

This should be *#0011# I believe

5) Select CDMA, then 1.COMMON, press next page until page three of COMMON and select 8.PREF MODE SET and selet GSM_WCDMA_ONLY

I had to go 9. NEXT PAGE > twice before doing 8.
    FYI, I was on a T-Mobile ROM with a Sprint kernel, wiped everything, and then flashed a T-Mobile 4.3 AOSP ROM. Worked perfect right out of the gate. Even using the T-Mobile kernel that came with it. Everything works right away. Even wifi/bluetooth and such. Just throwing it out there, because it went a LOT easier than I thought it would.