No registration required

[Q] Disable Exchange Security Policies

OP doomfrawen

23rd January 2014, 12:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

10 posts
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, if is not the right place I will move it.

Recently I bought a Windows 8.1 tablet, so playing around with the pre-installed apps I set up my corporate exchange account in the Mail App(Metro) and it disabled the option to access with PIN and picture just the password was left as an option. So just wondering if is it possible to disable the exchange security that is imposed by the Mail App in Windows 8/8.1.

Thanks guys,
1st February 2014, 09:14 PM   |  #2  
Flag Kingston
Thanks Meter: 56

423 posts
More
I get the feeling that you think it would work the same way as that of Android where you simply flash a cracked /modded .APK file
I simply use OWA (Outlook Web App) so as not to have to conform to the security.
You could also install a full copy of MS Outlook (desktop version) so as to bypass that requirement.
3rd February 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomfrawen

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, if is not the right place I will move it.

Recently I bought a Windows 8.1 tablet, so playing around with the pre-installed apps I set up my corporate exchange account in the Mail App(Metro) and it disabled the option to access with PIN and picture just the password was left as an option. So just wondering if is it possible to disable the exchange security that is imposed by the Mail App in Windows 8/8.1.

Thanks guys,

Left click or long hold on the start menu, click control panel then user accounts. On left hand side of the window you will find 'reset security policies' at the bottom of the list.
4th February 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,782

5,870 posts
More
I think you can also do it in Local Security Policy editor (secpol.msc) but I haven't ever tried. The actual restriction is stored in the registry. Be aware that if you continue using the corporate account, you'll probably get locked out of picture password again. Also be aware that what you're asking for is probably a violation of your company's policies and is much less secure (in order for the feature to work, your machine must store the password or an equivalent to it; normally no such thing is stored).

Sent from my Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
7th December 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 65

336 posts
Hi Guys, any update on this? Would we have a patch of some sort to block this policy enforcement? My Android Nine app can simply accept a 4 digit pin and encrypt its own data, but Windows 8.1 Mail App (surface pro 3) insists on putting a complex password. It's a headache to write a complex password each time even if I set timeout to 15 mins.

I also could not find any other alternative, even Touchdown pulled support for Win 8.1 app. I can use an Android emulator but then we are losing connected standby function of getting mail updates automatically even when screen is off.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
disable mail security, policies, windows 8
Previous Thread Next Thread