Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[How-To] Enable Native Tethering (I337 4.4.2 - Stock NI1, NB1, & NC1 ROM's Only)

OP muniz_ri

4th December 2014, 01:03 AM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
More
Question
Hi, I have a rooted stock AT&T Galaxy S4 I337 on 4.4.2 NC1. My provider is Straight Talk. Native tethering works fine; I'm using it right now to post this because I don't have standard Internet at home until Dec. 15 when Uverse gets installed. Dec. 15 is nearly 2 weeks away, so I won't have Internet for a while, which is a pretty big deal for me.

My question is: is there any way to disguise my PC tethering so that Straight Talk or AT&T won't detect it? I assume traffic from my PC appears differently to traffic originating from my phone, so it's detectable. Is there a special browser or Firefox addon or something that I can use that will disguise my traffic? Is there some Windows networking tool that can disguise it to look like phone traffic (preferable)? I use Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Firefox, but I have Chrome available.

I tether responsibly imo. I believe Straight Talk allows around 2.5GB of full speed data per month and then throttles after that. I've never used more than 500MB on the phone itself. I won't be downloading large files like movies or music or streaming anything. I just need web surfing and email, and possibly the ability to play an MMO if there is a way to disguise that with a networking tool and latency isn't an issue. MMO traffic doesn't consume a large amount of data, but I can do without gaming if it ends up consuming too much bandwidth. I plan to keep it under 2.5GB regardless.

EDIT: I have an 11 pin (GS4 compatible) MHL adapter on the way from Amazon. I also have a USB OTG cable that I can connect to my phone that enables me to connect a mouse and keyboard if I want. I don't know of any way to connect both the OTG cable and the MHL at the some time though. If I could do that, I could throw my phone display to the TV and navigate with a keyboard and mouse, which would be "acceptable" for web surfing until I get Uverse.
Last edited by Ign0tus; 4th December 2014 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added more info
8th December 2014, 06:16 AM   |  #32  
Thanks Meter: 6

68 posts
More
Is there any way to use this on stock without safe strap? I don't use it ATM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread