The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] help with disabling OTA update

OP hydra1

12th June 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
I'm with T-Mobile if that helps or changes anything, running 4.2.2. Now, I've gotten my phone to stop bugging me to install the OTA update. But the problem is the OTA update is still downloading in the background, it's just that I'm not being bugged by my phone to update it (i.e. there's no icon showing up in the notification bar). It becomes a sort of "silent update." So why is this a problem for me?

Because I'm on T-Mobile's cheapest plan which is the 500mb data plan. Each time the OTA downloads it eats up 155mb. And twice already this billing cycle it's done it, so that's 310mb of data wasted.

There are posts saying to use Titanium Backup Pro and freezing an app called Software Update MUC, and another post referring to the file as Software Update 2.3.0.5, but on my phone (using TB Pro) there's no file starting with "Software" anything.

So how do I stop my phone from downloading the OTA all together? Please help. Thanks.
12th June 2014, 01:58 AM   |  #2  
z0phi3l's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Waterbury
Thanks Meter: 131
 
427 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Just install the update, that will make it stop for good

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
12th June 2014, 02:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Sorry, forgot to mention doing that won't work. For some reason my phone doesn't properly install OTA updates. I don't mind being stuck on 4.2.2. I just want the OTA downloads to stop in the first place.
12th June 2014, 03:29 AM   |  #4  
LordLugard's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 294
 
1,737 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
More
Give this a try...

If rooted, use a file manager like Root Explorer, go to System/Etc/Security, (mount R/W) and rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

Reboot phone.
12th June 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLugard

Give this a try...

If rooted, use a file manager like Root Explorer, go to System/Etc/Security, (mount R/W) and rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

Reboot phone.

I've done that already. I renamed the file to otacerts.zip.back (instead of .bak). I assume that doesn't make any difference. I believe renaming the file is what is causing my phone to not show the OTA icon in the notification bar. But as I said, the issue for me is that my phone is still downloading the update itself.

Any other ideas?
13th June 2014, 01:17 AM   |  #6  
XxZombiePikachu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,513
 
2,540 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydra1

I've done that already. I renamed the file to otacerts.zip.back (instead of .bak). I assume that doesn't make any difference. I believe renaming the file is what is causing my phone to not show the OTA icon in the notification bar. But as I said, the issue for me is that my phone is still downloading the update itself.

Any other ideas?

what I've done is in system/app look for lgfota.apk/odex and renamed them to .bak and reboot and no more updates
13th June 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu

what I've done is in system/app look for lgfota.apk/odex and renamed them to .bak and reboot and no more updates

I don't have that file in my system/app folder. What's wrong with my phone?????

On my phone, the file listed that comes before where lgfota.apk/odex should appear is LGEIME_THEME_BLACK.odex, and the file after that file is LGGallery.apk.
13th June 2014, 01:43 AM   |  #8  
XxZombiePikachu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,513
 
2,540 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydra1

I don't have that file in my system/app folder. What's wrong with my phone?????

On my phone, the file listed that comes before where lgfota.apk/odex should appear is LGEIME_THEME_BLACK.odex, and the file after that file is LGGallery.apk.

you can check in the system/priv-app; that's very odd for it not to be in system/app are you on stock rom/have you removed any bloat
13th June 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu

you can check in the system/priv-app; that's very odd for it not to be in system/app are you on stock rom/have you removed any bloat

I don't have a system/priv-app folder, either. I'm on stock rom, but I removed as much bloat as I can, including certain apps I find no use for (e.g. double-tap, voice command, etc). Maybe this will help: I used Root Explorer's search feature and searched for "fota", and here's what I think are the most "relevant" results:

/lgdms.fota.rc
/lgdms.fota_update.rc
/etc/fota
/etc/permissions/com.lge.fota.xml
/system/framework/com.lge.fota.jar
/system/framework/com.lge.fota.odex

Does this help? Anyone?
8th December 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Nashik
Thanks Meter: 475
 
2,225 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydra1

I don't have a system/priv-app folder, either. I'm on stock rom, but I removed as much bloat as I can, including certain apps I find no use for (e.g. double-tap, voice command, etc). Maybe this will help: I used Root Explorer's search feature and searched for "fota", and here's what I think are the most "relevant" results:

/lgdms.fota.rc
/lgdms.fota_update.rc
/etc/fota
/etc/permissions/com.lge.fota.xml
/system/framework/com.lge.fota.jar
/system/framework/com.lge.fota.odex

Does this help? Anyone?

Did you got any solution ?
I also got the same issue. Sprint here. I have renamed all files like otacerts.zip & lgfota.apk/odex, still it downloads the damn update.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes