No registration required

How to manually upgrade/downgrade your Amazon FireTV

OP roligov

6th November 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #121  
Thanks Meter: 122

655 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTO

I'm actually trying to get location services to be faked. Everyone on these forums that has gotten the Settings.apk to "enable" the location services on FTV has been on the 51.1.3.0_513011520 and I'm on a later version.

Is anyone here on 51.1.4.0_514006420 and can try to use the settings.apk to enable the location services? Would be awesome if it were possible to "turn on" this without any app, just by editing some files or something.

Otherwise if I want to downgrade, do I just download the prerooted rom for 51.1.3.0_513011520 and use the AFTV utility Upgrade/downgrade section, rename the prerooted 51.1.3.0_513011520 to update.zip? then what?

Don't rename it (You only rename it when doing the manual ADB guides)... And try to downgrade to the last 51.1.3.0 PreRooted FW aka "bueller-51.1.3.0_513011820-rooted.zip". Don't go to old on the FW or there might be a possible recovery issue. Just install the FW from the app.. As long as you are going from PreRooted to PreRooted you should be good... And do the "Disable OTA Update" after you downgrade just because...

And be patient since you are moving 400Mb + of data over ADB.. Can take minutes... 2-4 minutes in my case..
Last edited by Y314K; 6th November 2014 at 10:55 PM.
7th December 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #122  
Thanks Meter: 1

30 posts
I'm starting at “If downgrading fails” and It Errors out on the adb push update.zip /cache command. cannot stat ‘update.zip': No such file or directory. I have never had a successful upgrade and I’m on 51.1.1.0_user_511070220. At the end of this log, i was just trying different directories.

C:\FTV\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\platform-tools>adb connect *********
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
connected to *********

C:\FTV\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\platform-tools>adb push recovery.i
mg /sdcard/
145 KB/s (10485760 bytes in 70.526s)

C:\FTV\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su
su
root@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by
-name/recovery
dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery command

ache/update.zip > command <
root@android:/cache/recovery # exit
exit
shell@android:/ $ exit
exit
root@android:/ # adb push update.zip /cache
adb push update.zip /cache
cannot stat 'update.zip': No such file or directory
1|root@android:/ # adb push C:\FTV\update.zip /cache
adb push C:\FTV\update.zip /cache
cannot stat 'C:FTVupdate.zip': No such file or directory
1|root@android:/ # adb push C:\FTV\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\platfo
rm-tools\update.zip /cache
dows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\platform-tools\update.zip /cache <
cannot stat 'C:FTVadt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702sdkplatform-toolsupdate.zip'
: No such file or directory
1|root@android:/ #
Last edited by kywildcat; 7th December 2014 at 04:41 AM.
7th December 2014, 04:50 AM   |  #123  
Thanks Meter: 11

81 posts
More
You need to run adb push command from your regular cmd prompt, not inside your shell. Better yet, if you have ES File manager app on your FTV, simply share a drive./folder with only RO permissions on your computer which holds your zip file and map that share in the app and pull it using the GUI (copy/paste). I actually like this better than command prompt for large files as I can see real time progress of the transfer process. Another option is use something like WebKey and transfer files over a browser from your computer.
Last edited by dbdoshi; 7th December 2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Added Info
9th December 2014, 01:57 AM   |  #124  

30 posts
log
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoshi

You need to run adb push command from your regular cmd prompt, not inside your shell. Better yet, if you have ES File manager app on your FTV, simply share a drive./folder with only RO permissions on your computer which holds your zip file and map that share in the app and pull it using the GUI (copy/paste). I actually like this better than command prompt for large files as I can see real time progress of the transfer process. Another option is use something like WebKey and transfer files over a browser from your computer.

Everything on the command prompt completed successfully, and restarted to update. But the system update failed.... yet again
any idea why it would fail ? Im rooted have busybox installed and on 51.1.1.0_user_511070220, trying to downgrade to 51.1.0.2_user_510058520
Last edited by kywildcat; 9th December 2014 at 02:05 AM.
9th December 2014, 03:24 AM   |  #125  

81 posts
More
Ok, I am assuming that when you reboot your FTV after completing the downgrade steps, the FTV shows an error message and boots back into the current firmware.

Assuming that....

Go to http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-manua...mazon-fire-tv/

I am sure you are following the guide step by step. What you will do is, scroll down the guide and go to the section titled "If downgrading fails:". Follow that line by line and run that on your FTV (important to run all the rm commands to get rid of the stuff you pushed to FTV). Once done, reboot your FTV normally.

Next, start working through the steps one by one from the very top (you do not need to re-download files if you already have them on your computer, but you will re-push them back to FTV as the previous steps in the "If downgrading fails" will get rid of those files from FTV) AND STOP AFTER STEP 8. FOR STEP 9, DO NOT RUN THE COMMAND LISTED THERE. Instead, you will run:

echo “--update_package=/cache/update.zip” > command

Note, there is a double quotation mark before -- and after zip.

Follow the guide from Step 10 onwards.

IF YOU SUCCESSFULLY DOWNGRADE, IT WILL REMOVE ROOT. RUN TOWELROOT AND RE-ROOT IT. ONCE RE-ROOTED, RUN THE DISABLE COMMAND ON FTV TO STOP OTA UPGRADES (Not sure if you need to run that command, but run it anyways...)

Let us know how it goes....
Last edited by dbdoshi; 9th December 2014 at 03:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dbdoshi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #126  

30 posts
Update Failed
Indeed following that guide step by step, so you're help is very much appreciated. I will let you how things turn out soon.
Once again, thank you for the detailed updated steps, dbdoshi.
9th December 2014, 06:01 AM   |  #127  

81 posts
More
I am out of ideas then... I had the same problem and putting step 9 in double quotes fixed it for me. Sorry, I don't have anything more to offer... Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread