Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[RECOVERY] Official Release of TWRP recovery now available

OP ChadH42

7th July 2014, 02:07 PM   |  #41  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50
 
140 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Philz Recovery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyc151

Do you happen to have a link handy, good sir?


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2706253
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceburn1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #42  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40
 
180 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceburn1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2706253

You are a scholar and a gentleman (or lady, depending upon your gender identity)!
12th October 2014, 05:53 AM   |  #43  
dtr145r's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 290
 
1,354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH42

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/229

Will this be updated for kltespr?
The Following User Says Thank You to dtr145r For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th October 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #44  
miked63017's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag St Louis
Thanks Meter: 248
 
391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtr145r

Will this be updated for kltespr?

TWRP is compiled in a unified fashion, made to work with all s5 variants. I am not the creator but that gives me the impression that they don't want individual builds for each model. I have made a version that reports kltespr as its type, its over in the regular development section for sprint s5. I plan on continuing to make as long as I am using CM, which is pretty far into the foreseeable future. So there may not be an official kltespr release, but the klte release works for it and I have made one labelled as kltespr so it works for CM if you use mine. Also I think somebody else did the same from what I have read, but have yet to come across their link, here is a link to mine http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52260413
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miked63017 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th October 2014, 05:13 AM   |  #45  
robak1965's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked63017

TWRP is compiled in a unified fashion, made to work with all s5 variants. I am not the creator but that gives me the impression that they don't want individual builds for each model. I have made a version that reports kltespr as its type, its over in the regular development section for sprint s5. I plan on continuing to make as long as I am using CM, which is pretty far into the foreseeable future. So there may not be an official kltespr release, but the klte release works for it and I have made one labelled as kltespr so it works for CM if you use mine. Also I think somebody else did the same from what I have read, but have yet to come across their link, here is a link to mine http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52260413

miked63017, you appear to be very knowledgeable about recovery builds, and as you know "unified" builds are rarely grand unified which is all inclusive. S5, S5 Sport, S5 Active, etc. The builds just don't work across all variants, so in my opinion it shouldn't be called unified.

Anyway, what I wanted to pick your brain about was in fact the S5 Sport variant, specifically if it might be the same issue, or if you have experimented with TWRP build for this?

I am trying compile my own build setup but as a beginner I am probably many weeks away from putting anything together. More of just a slow learning process for me.

Sent from my BN Nook HD using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to robak1965 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th October 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #46  
miked63017's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag St Louis
Thanks Meter: 248
 
391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robak1965

miked63017, you appear to be very knowledgeable about recovery builds, and as you know "unified" builds are rarely grand unified which is all inclusive. S5, S5 Sport, S5 Active, etc. The builds just don't work across all variants, so in my opinion it shouldn't be called unified.

Anyway, what I wanted to pick your brain about was in fact the S5 Sport variant, specifically if it might be the same issue, or if you have experimented with TWRP build for this?

I am trying compile my own build setup but as a beginner I am probably many weeks away from putting anything together. More of just a slow learning process for me.

Sent from my BN Nook HD using XDA Premium HD app

Honestly I haven't ever compiled TWRP from source. I compiled the s5 kernel from source, after tweaking the config. I got a few hints on what needed to be tweaked by asking around. After that I basically injected the different kernel into the official build, similar to how you would do it if you were using a kitchen. IMO though kitchens are too confusing and you never really know exactly what they are doing unless you read the source of the kitchen. That's basically how I learned to do everything I can do, dig through the source of various android kitchens. I have compiled kernels and lots of other stuff before I ever picked up an android device so I guess I had a little head start in that regard. The s5 uses a kernel with dtb, which was new to me when I got the s5, so it is slightly more complicated than the older devices I was used to. @sleshepic and @garwyn gave me some really useful pointers when I got my s5, thanks guys. I could go into how to do it here, but if you google, or search the forums, you will find many in detail tutorials. Try searching "how to unpack boot.img android". The process is the same across all devices pretty much, the newer ones require a newer version of the tool. Basically once unpacked you can swap out kernels and modify the initramfs, then repack and flash. I attempted to make one for the sport using the sport kernel, and fstab files from the sport, but apparently it boots to recovery then immediately reboots to system. I don't have a sport so really not inclined to try much more. If you want to try, do a little research and get going , send me a pm along the way if you get stuck and I will try to help or point you in the right direction.

I have compiled AOSP and CM from source so I would imagine TWRP and CWM are not much harder. The hardest part, and most time consuming, IMO is setting up the device tree for a new device. I usually leave the device tree to the experts, mainly because of the time commitment. I preach Linux to everybody I know, but it is almost a requirement for doing things like this so if you don't have it get it Ubuntu is usually the easiest to setup a build env and get the needed tools. Recently I was inspired by TN to give my first Linux love, opensuse, another try and I did yield a successful AOSP build for the emulator. So my Ubuntu VM on my opensuse system will most likely not be used much anymore.

Anyway, read sources, get Linux, experiment...good luck and pm me if you get stuck.
The Following User Says Thank You to miked63017 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th December 2014, 10:21 AM   |  #47  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
51 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
I didn't see the answer in this thread, but when flashing TWRP via Odin, will the Knox counter trip?
10th December 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #48  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
139 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettzysdaddy

I didn't see the answer in this thread, but when flashing TWRP via Odin, will the Knox counter trip?

Yes

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes