No registration required

[Q] Restoring WiFi networks from backup

OP hwcl

19th June 2014, 07:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hello everyone,

I recently flashed CM11 from the stock rom with a full wipe, and I'd like to restore the wifi passwords I had saved previously. I saved the wpa_supplicant.conf file from my original setup, but when I try to update the conf file in CM11 it gets reset on each reboot.

I'm currently on the latest nightly (6/19), and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
19th June 2014, 07:54 PM   |  #2  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 4

24 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwcl

Hello everyone,

I recently flashed CM11 from the stock rom with a full wipe, and I'd like to restore the wifi passwords I had saved previously. I saved the wpa_supplicant.conf file from my original setup, but when I try to update the conf file in CM11 it gets reset on each reboot.

I'm currently on the latest nightly (6/19), and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have pretty much the same problem, just posted it a few mins ago too.

I am currently on Liquid Smooth 6/19 but I also had the issue on their 6/16 as well as the SlimKat ROM. I didn't pay much attention to how wifi behaved on the stock sense as I was only on that for a few mins.

I am S-ON, not sure if that makes a difference or not.
10th December 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #3  
Flag Metro Manila
Thanks Meter: 3

30 posts
More
Yo.
I think I got it. It appears android keeps this config in memory. It actually doesn't restore it during reboot. It restores it AFTER you've edited the file. To get the files committed for good you need to:
1) Turn off your phone's WiFi
2) Mount /system in rw mode and then rename or delete /system/etc/wifi/default_ap.conf (this file restores the data in the wpa_supplicant.conf). This is where your phone sets/copies the wifi you can't get rid of.
3) Edit the /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf file. (I'm guessing deleting it would be a bad idea since there's no backup data in memory to generate this.)
4) Save the file.
5) Reboot.

I have an SGS5 SM-G900K. Had to do some cleaning due to some bloatware and some wifi configs I don't need. It might work for you.
Last edited by ch4dwick; 15th December 2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added paths to relevante files.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread