[GUIDE] The 5 second bootloop! aka: Don't let your battery die!

Search This thread

cheif_of_smoke

Dec 27, 2009
yeah i know im late to the party. was cleaning up the basement and found this old project. was seeing if any one could help me with it.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
well here is my issue... turns on, green light on. turns off green light flashes, but only when plugged in to outlet. unplug light goes out. its completly stock. this is what i have tried so far... held on button down for 30 sec, while holding button down plugged in to outlet. came on but turned off after a sec or 2. kept holding button down for another 2 min. the kindle hasnt come on. released button and left sit for a bit while tried to read up on other fixes. came back to it. press on button. it boots up like normal. check battery level, 91% not charging. charger hasnt been removed yet. all was well i thought and just unplug and replug to get it to charge. unplugged kindle, goes black no light no nothing. plug it back in and back to square one. desided to check another battery. swapped motherboards from my son kindle. boots up and charges with out a promblem with my board in his kindle. swapped boards back. back to same issue. didnt put his board in my kindle just in case somethin bad happened to it. any ideas? bad battery? bad board? bad wiring some where?
I'm guessing bad charging port, may be a short in pos or neg connections, it's detecting the charger but not enough power to charge. bad usb charging port is common with the kindle. Can try resoldering the usb port.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

also can try charging with cable pulled up slightly, so its higher than the kindle

cheif_of_smoke

Dec 27, 2009
well when i had the boards switched it charged fine. i have changed batteries, also when it was switched and it charged. but when i swaped everything back its a no go. any other ideas?

cheif_of_smoke

Dec 27, 2009
yes i know. as much as i hate soldering usb ports back on i guess i could try. the last on i did worked but got bumped. now it charges but as soon as you plug it in, the kindle shuts off. but it will charge. i wander if amazon will replace or fix it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Symptoms: The Kindle Fire starts booting normally, but then shuts off prematurely or reboots spontaneously before the device completes the startup process. In extreme cases, the bootlogo may not even appear on the display and only the power switch LED lights up before the device shuts off again.

Cause: The battery has been depleted to the point that not enough power gets delivered to the CPU. The CPU detects the low power condition and its safety features power off the device.

Solution: Use the stock 1.8 amp AC charger to recharge the battery. In most cases, this seems to be enough to get power to the CPU and battery that it will begin to charge again.

In some rare instances, not even the AC charger will be enough to charge the battery. Why? The Kindle Fire's hardware does not have the ability to charge its battery offline. The device needs to be up and running so the ramdisk can handle the battery charging operation and that requires the CPU to be powered up. If the battery cannot provide enough power to the CPU, it shuts off automatically and the boot process stops or restarts... a classic catch-22.

Devices without FireFireFire 1.4 (or later) will need to upgrade to that version. This bootloader stops the boot process for a low battery condition (less than 3%) and charges the battery to its specified minimum before continuing to boot.

If the device has an earlier version of FFF, use the temporary fastboot mode feature to fastboot flash the new version using fastboot. If the device is using the stock bootloader (white/orange "kindle fire" bootlogo), a factory cable is probably necessary to put the device into fastboot mode.

Although the preferred method of installing this bootloader is through TWRP, it is dangerous in this situation because TWRP could shut down without warning. Because of this potential for a premature TWRP shutdown and a bad flash as a result, fastboot must be used under these circumstances. The device can be powered entirely from the USB port while running the bootloader, so it's much safer in this regard. Be sure to check the MD5 sum of the distribution, extract the contents of the zip archive and find the binary inside the cache directory. Flash this file using fastboot.

Using an older version of FFF...
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader /path/to/u-boot.bin
    fastboot reboot
    With the stock bootloader...
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader /path/to/u-boot.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
    Note: In both cases above, the "/path/to/u-boot.bin" must be replaced with the actual path to the file's location.

After a reboot, the bootloader will automatically stop the boot process and begin charging. The backlight is normally off in battery charging mode to conserve power, but press and hold the power button for a few seconds and a battery charging notification will appear on the display.

Note: Currently, neither FFF 1.4 nor 1.4a will display a bootlogo before entering battery charging mode, so the device may appear to be bricked. Press and hold the power button for a few seconds to display the battery charging notice. In addition, these versions will only enter battery charging mode when hooked up to USB power and not the AC wall charger. The developer is aware of both situations and has indicated that he intends to implement fixes for these issues.

Credits
    pokey9000 - For providing information about the Kindle Fire hardware
    SBlood86 - For sharing his experiences and initial ideas for a fix
    Hashcode - For fixing/implementing battery charging on the bootloader​
    Trying out new FFF battery feature

Half an hour ago I let my power run out trying to read the last few pages of a book. I finished the book but it cost me my battery. I had no idea about the USB recharging issue and only have USB cable handy (non-US). So the device powered itself off. After that it would boot as far as the unlock screen, freeze and die despite the USB connection.

Anyway I just used KFU to flash the latest FireFireFire (there's a small window while it's going through the boot loop where KFU has access). After installing, the device rebooted. Screen briefly said something along the lines of "FireFireFire, battery too low, charging" then the device seemed to once again switch itself off.

On closer inspection there is a faint (very faint) orange light coming from the power button. Not as bright as the normal charging light but I'll leave it over night and see if it's healed in the morning.

This is all a bit retarded thanks Amazon...

Edit - I left it for about 10 minutes and it just successfully booted up. YAY. Now it's charging in what I assume is full power mode with a bright orange light.
    Help i installed extended firefirefire and my kindle stays on the bootloader it doesn't boot but it does shutdown.

P.S.
    i am posting here because i cant post in the dev part.

There are many reasons why the device might not advance the boot process past the bootloader. This is especially true with the extended bootloader if you played around with the partitioning scheme. If you feel that this might be a dead battery issue, try plugging it into your charger and forcing your device to turn off by pressing/holding the power button until the display shuts off. Leave it alone for a while and see if it charges before you turn it back on.

You are only restricted from posting in the development forums. You can always post to the Q&A section and try to find someone who can help you out with that bootloader.
    Kindle Fire Restarts on its own

A long while back, I rooted the kindle fire using the kindle fire utility .95. It worked fine for months. Then today, the device suddenly restarted and went into the "press power button to for recovery" page with the yellow triangle.
    I can get it to go into the system for about 10 seconds but then it just restarts. To get in, I use the kindle fire utility and put it into normal boot mode. It goes in fine but then it restarts. I do have access to fastboot and i can get in. Battery power is near full so that wasn't the problem.
    Anyways, after trying everything I found in the internet, i found the best solution was to use this thread:
    [GUIDE] Kindle Fire For Beginners
    Assuming you're already in fastboot mode, go down to post number 3 and start at step number 6. I got the u-boot.bin from this page Amazon Update
    (you have to extract it). The twrp file I got from the kindle fire utility page.
    The last step I did was step number 7 which was to reboot. Once I rebooted, it went into twrp recovery but said it couldn't access the memory or something of the sort. Then it did some sort of update and sort of took a long time to update. Then it restarted, paused for around 30+ seconds on the flashing kindle fire logo,and now its perfect.

Tip: To get into fastboot mode, the exact steps I took were:
    1. Shut down Kindle completely.
    2. From the kindle fire utility, select 1 and then select 1 again. It should come as waiting for device. After that plug in the kindle and let it do its things. Once the kindle fire logo pops up, keep on spamming 2 in the kindle fire utility to select fastboot mode till it lets you get in. You have to do it before it starts to shut down again.
    After that, the fastboot things should be working and you can do the rest of the stuff starting from number 6.

I hope this helps some one.
    Hit Kinfauns thanks button it works just as well as a beer ;)