OP Captain_Throwback

3rd December 2014, 07:42 AM   |  #1831  
Austin, Tx
Thanks Meter: 258

1,056 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhtexas

So after a few days on the ROM, things work fine, but battery life has taken a big hit relative to the 4.2 stock ROM. Searching through the thread, it seems others have run into the problem as well. I installed BetterBatteryStats, as others have done, and the phone seems to be Awake for significant periods when the screen is off. In the past twelve hours, the phone has been awake for just over 2 hours, deep sleep for 10 hours, but the screen has only been on 1 hour. Battery went from 75% to 15%. Previously, I could go a day or more between charges. BetterBatteryStats indicates NlpWakeLock and NlpCollectorWakelock are the biggest Partial wakelocks, at over 7 minutes each. I'm just learning BetteryBatterStats, so any hints for trouble shooting are welcome.

I'm just checking if the above usage seems normal for 4.3, or if there is some setting that could possibly improve the battery life. I've played around with a few google settings, but nothing has helped.

Ive had that issue for a while...Im currently running the 4.13 651.4 Sense 5 Rom but have bad issues with battery draining. I found out its the Google Services related to PlayStore App Updates. They wont update on there own sometimes...The phone starts getting warm and I notice battery drain, I then go to the PlayStore >My Apps to see if any of my Apps require updates, and sure enough. There is always at least one App waiting to be updated...So I think its trying to run the automatic update for Apps, but gets caught in some kind of loop that keeps the phone awake...Once I manually run the "Update All" Apps or just do a "Hot Reboot", the phone goes back to normal and stops draining battery...I think I read somewhere about the possibility of it being a bug in the 4.13 651.4 Factory RUU. Dont know if this helps, but it keeps my phone from draining while im out and around....
9th December 2014, 01:57 AM   |  #1832  
Austin, Tx

1,056 posts
More
TWRP Backup
Ive been trying to run a backup and they continue to fail. Im currently on Capts TWRP 2.8.0.3 Ive tried different twrps from this thread with the same results..Attached are a couple of pics from TWRP..If someone has seen this before and know any suggestions, please let me know...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0292.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	3054723   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0293.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	3054724  
9th December 2014, 02:52 AM   |  #1833  
OP Retired Moderator / Recognized Contributor
Flag Bensalem, PA
Thanks Meter: 11,268

12,395 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus71

Ive been trying to run a backup and they continue to fail. Im currently on Capts TWRP 2.8.0.3 Ive tried different twrps from this thread with the same results..Attached are a couple of pics from TWRP..If someone has seen this before and know any suggestions, please let me know...

Thanks

You've tried the latest TWRP?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=56530311

Where are you backing up to?

EDIT: After looking at your pics, it looks like you have a corrupt file on data (related to Twitter, it seems). Have you tried repairing your data partition first, then backing up?
Last edited by Captain_Throwback; 9th December 2014 at 02:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain_Throwback For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2014, 03:49 PM   |  #1834  
Austin, Tx

1,056 posts
More
Looks like my Data/Data partition is corrupted....Wiping the partition still leaves previous files... Need to format and repair...When i go in there with File Explorer and try to delete the file related to Twitter, im not able to...Says file is no longer there, but it still is...This is after doing a full TWRP wipe/format and reinstall of Rom...Maybe i need to RUU again to wipe out everything???

Going to try your latest TWRP and see if that makes any difference...
9th December 2014, 03:50 PM   |  #1835  
OP Retired Moderator / Recognized Contributor
Flag Bensalem, PA
Thanks Meter: 11,268

12,395 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Looks like my Data/Data partition is corrupted....Wiping the partition still leaves previous files... Need to format and repair...When i go in there with File Explorer and try to delete the file related to Twitter, im not able to...Says file is no longer there, but it still is...This is after doing a full TWRP wipe/format and reinstall of Rom...Maybe i need to RUU again to wipe out everything???

Did you try to repair the partition using TWRP (that's what I was suggesting earlier)?
12th December 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #1836  
Thanks Meter: 10

94 posts
Quote:

Ive had that issue for a while...Im currently running the 4.13 651.4 Sense 5 Rom but have bad issues with battery draining. I found out its the Google Services related to PlayStore App Updates.

After playing around for a few days with BBS, I've gotten the battery drain down from 4.5%/hr to 1.2%/hr when sleeping. I can live with that. The problem is, as I was trying several things simultaiously (bad experimentation, I know), I'm not exactly sure what did the trick. It was probably a combination of things. Some things I did:

1) I noticed from BBS that the Visual Voicemail App was fairly active while the phone was sleeping. I went in to the setting there and disabled trial notification from Sprint, and as I recall one or two other extraneous things that I didn't think I needed. When trying to exit settings, I noticed VVM wouldn't save them due to a server timeout. I then tried an update for the app, and that wouldn't work either for the same reason. I switched from WiFi to 4G, and the settings saving and update worked. VVM has since been much less active.

2) in Settings->Location, I unchecked "Wi-Fi & mobile network location" and "Wi-Fi scanning always available". I haven't found that any of the apps I regularly use gripe about these settings.

3) I also unchecked "Let Google apps access your location". This setting gains a few tenths of a percent on batter drain, but two negative consequences of this were that Google Maps doesn't work (wants access to location), and Gmail will not notify of a received message if the phone is sleeping; the Gmail notification doesn't come until you wake up the phone. Since I get weather updates from Gmail, I turned this one back on.

4) I also gained a few tenths of a % by setting the phone face (screen) down instead of face up. I'm usually on WiFi at home, so this could be because the antennas are closer to the cover on the side opposite the screen. With "Let Google apps access you location" enabled, The Google apps are probably always doing some kind of network access, even when the phone is supposed to be sleeping.

Some things I had done previously:
1) Set all app updates to manual.

2) Set all email updates for my POP accounts using the native email client to manual update. Even with this setting, for some reason, I still occasionally get notifcation of new email on those POP accounts, even though both peak and off-peak times are set to manual update. I don't know what's going on there, but for some reason, the email client is still checking those accounts periodically.

That's about all I remember. Perhaps this can be of help to someone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread