Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Which Kernel Has suited you the best?
Stock Kernel 8 15.38%
Phoenix Kernel 3 5.77%
AGNI Kernel 33 63.46%
Nadia Kernel 8 15.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

[Experience][Share]My Usage and Testing of Custom kernels for Touchwiz Kitkat.

OP KNIGHT97

25th October 2014, 02:21 PM   |  #31  
Flag Male'
Thanks Meter: 11

137 posts
More
Post Nice post!
Hi- I am also torn between Agni and Nadia kernel.. I have both downloaded and ready to install. I think you forgot to tell that Nadia comes with CWM/TWRP flashable file and Agni; with Aroma Installer.

Latest Nadia Size is 8.6MB (Vr7-latest) while the latest AGni (V4.2.9) comes 13.8MB- Also means Aroma Install will choose what to install (have an option)+1 point. Correct?

What i want is- sound mod- memory read mod and most of all battery MOD. I feel its a great job you have done for yourself and not very much for the readers since my confusion increased reading.. The reason people read is to make up their mind right? I would love to ask you which one you prefer from both (Most probably you are using your own- seeing your are a great developer).

Also, an update on your post
2) AGNI doesn't play well with folder-mount ( Fix).
3) Nadia gave a bootloop when flashed over AGNI ( resolved and unreported as of late revisions).
4) Some users lost root access when flashing Nadia (fixed- and reflash recommended).
5) Nadia uses Synapse app to control kernel. & provides an almost full fledged GUI for tweaking the parameters!

But thanks for the write-up. Informative never the less. its even more confusing now that both are stable versions and very less issues being reported.. Tell you what- i can never find time to read all those data you did..i have to rely on info and experience.. but great job there!
10th December 2014, 10:38 PM   |  #32  
Thanks Meter: 0

22 posts
More
Hi, it's certainly an impressive and thorough undertaking you have applied yourself too and achieved nice one!

I also very much appreciate-and agree-you don't want to promote one kernel against the other or demean one against the other but I'm still left wondering what the point of this thread is except to simply share and make us aware what indeed an impressive and thorough undertaking you have achieved!?

It's the Title, Abstract, Introduction and (loose) method of a scientific report without the Results, Findings, Discussion and Conclusion and so after 1700 or something words it was all a bit of an anti climax to a subject allot of people still don't fully understand, myself included. Well written though

Like I say, I'm no expert and if I'm wrong I'm sorry but its always seemed to me these Kernels tested and compared do not try to offer a better product to each other or even attempt to be in the same category (other than (obviously) being a Kernel for our beloved Note II) and have been written with different aims right?

I don't want to specifically say which kernel to avoid seeming prejudice or to be promoting certain products so the names have been changed- to protect the innocent-but (as stated by the talented Dev) the 'Peacock' kernel was simply written to keep stock feel but primarily to change the annoying S.E.Linux Enforcing mode-which affected a fair few apps but most importantly (for me at least) reading NTFS drives with OTG-to permissive.

Simple and very user friendly for those that would be lost with anything more complicated and time consuming.

Which is what the next kernel would be... Sitting at the opposite end of the spectrum the 'Shiva' kernel sets out to maximise our devices capabilities to it's full potential with enough tweaks, knobs and settings so it can suit our individual preferences and expectations and be dammed to Samsung stock. Perfect for us tweakers out there or users that demand more from the devices usual default boundaries.

Something Shiva very much succeeds at although a project of that scale will always need updating or refining. Still, it's an amazing and respect worthy undertaking.

And then there is the what shall be called.. The C. S. Lewis kernel which like it's name sakes endeavours were, an ongoing written project that is being created for its own fulfillment and well as ours... A self proclaimed hobby as much as anything else and still in relative infancy... BUT it comes with a breath of fresh air and direction because some of the options, tweaks and functions being written or included in it are worth taking a note to (exuse the pun, couldn't resist) and are impressive. Again a different target from the previous two projects.

So bearing that in mind, couldn't you have shared your hard earned results for the good of the forum? Not set out in a comparison or 1st, 2nd,3rd place but simple results.... Especially from within the kernels themselves, the different results you achieved with different settings in place... It would be an interesting and helpful read and also cement any doubt people have of.... Of anything lol

Must be worth considering?

I must apologise for only composing around half of the original posts length but do hope you found it as equally fluffy and ultimately fruitless as I did.

Respects
C
Last edited by chatoid; 10th December 2014 at 10:42 PM.
11th December 2014, 11:50 AM   |  #33  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 1,362

1,943 posts
More
I agree to it, I planned to share it after some time, but under many bad circumstances I had to abandon this thread, as you can see, the posts hasn't even been updated a single time. My hospitalization, then final year in school going on, and my exams etc, I get no time to do things.
While I'm actually also trying to learn c++ and java to work on android myself, but I hardly find time for it too, like half an hour in a month or so.

Fired from my RPG with auto targeting
11th December 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #34  

22 posts
More
Yeah bro I understand and am sorry to read of hospitalisation... Serious or minor hospitals suck!

I coincidentally Ito am learning Java.... (It's not really needed for my Job though, I'm just doing it for my own knowledge and ability to make a few basic apps for personal use)....So I'm totally with you on the time consumption haha

But still bro, if you still have your results stored then post em up. It shouldn't take you that long and would be interesting to read the staits from different setting combinations. There is very little like that posted anywhere.

Respects
12th December 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #35  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 1,362

1,943 posts
More
I had them when using Windows. But formatted it long ago, because it was too much laggy on my 6 year old low end laptop. I installed Linux to learn more about android and mostly compiling from source.
So, really sorry but I don't have them as of now.

Fired from my RPG with auto targeting
13th December 2014, 01:44 AM   |  #36  

22 posts
More
Lol... Pretty much a dead waste of time thread then.... Or... A bricked thread :lol... (heehee, can hear the moans and groans from the audience at the corny joke)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread