Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE] How to root a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" (SM-T217S)

OP Justin Buser

13th December 2014, 05:06 AM   |  #41  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Unhappy Boo
This didn't help at all!!
14th December 2014, 10:33 PM   |  #42  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Excellent
Thank you very much for these directions, I have rooted before but was having trouble with this device.. Your method/files worked perfectly, as others have said previously this should be stickied! I particularly enjoyed your ingenious suggestion to hold Vol Up when pushing start in Odin Just for clarification- 100% confirmed working root on T217S with 4.4.2 and NH4, I checked for OTA updates before rooting and this works flawlessly with current updates (as of 12/14/14)! After installing TWRP, I was NOT prompted to root when rebooting but ended up installing fine through TWRP, with no need to install any development kits. To help the 'slightly experienced' users you mention and get around the lack of prompt for root on reboot, I've revised your instructions a bit - feel free to include any/all with no credit necessary.. Just trying to help, and show appreciation!

@mediaaccount did you get into TWRP? You probably just need to sideload SuperSU as stated by OP

Download the attached files, extract Odin and TWRP. (You should have a folder named Odin0307, a recovery.tar.md5 file, and a SuperSU-v1.93.zip file before continuing)

Connect your tablet to PC, copy SuperSU-v1.93.zip to the root directory, and disconnect tablet.

Turn tablet off, then boot into Download Mode (Hold Vol Down +Power to turn on the Device, then press Vol Up at warning screen)

Connect your tablet to PC, open Odin3 v3.07.exe, click the PDA button, and select the recovery.tar.md5 file.

Begin holding the Volume Up button on your Tablet and hit the start button in Odin (this will ensure you reboot into the new recovery) After a few seconds, you will be in TWRP and you can release the Volume Up button.

*OPTIONAL* Although not necessary for root, I'd highly recommend creating a backup ASAP (BEFORE rooting)! Touch BACKUP and select all 6 checkboxes, then swipe to backup. After backup has completed (mine took ~6 minutes total) press the back button twice to get back to TWRP main screen.

Tap INSTALL, tap SuperSU-v1.93.zip, then swipe to confirm flash.

After your device reboots, open your new SuperSU app and it will prompt you to remove KNOX, allow it to attempt (it will succeed) and restart your device.

SuperSU will push a notification that the binaries need to be updated, select normal mode (Doing through ADB is unnecessary on this device) and restart one last time.

Your tab is now fully rooted, download Root Checker Basic to verify

I did not have enough space on SD card, so I backed up to internal and then copied it to my computer to free up the tab's space again. Thanks again Justin, much appreciated
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread