Generic USB-Slave to USBhost converter

Search This thread

hubbel21

Jul 21, 2009
Quite a lot PDAs supporting USB-host, but for only a few an adapters or appropriate cables from the manufactures are available.

As these devices support USB-Slave as well I would like to know if there's a way to convert the USB male connector (used as slave e.g. for sync with the PC) to a USB-host female in order to connect accessories (keyboard, mass-storage devices...).

According to wikipedia the configuration of the pins shouldn't differ too much for slave and host mode.

Pls. see attachement, that's what I found regarding this question. It's a picture showing a similar configuration (as new user I'm not allowed to post external links, thanks to ab21cn
from xdaflameusers)

But it's a male-to-male converter and furthermore a converter from "big usb" to micro (mini?) usb. As there're already standard converters for the different sizes of USB I would like to start with the biggest size and to buy the appropriate converter as needed.

Does anyone has a circuit diagram or any other idea for such a generic converter?

Attachments

• 1717_diy_usb_host_converter_e.jpg
    1717_diy_usb_host_converter_e.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,265
Last edited:

n2rjt

Try adapters made for Nokie N800 series

I had a Nokia 770 a couple of years ago. It came as USB device only with mini USB connector, but online I found how to upgrade the software to USB host, and use a cable adapter. The plans I found online involved a 9V battery and 5V voltage regulator inside a metal case (they used a penguin mints case). I built one of those, even using the penguin mints case, and it worked fine.

I have never seen any indication that my HTC phone would work the same, but I am guessing that it might, if the USB host drivers are available.

Google couldn't locate the penguin mints-based converter I originally found, but this seems to be a similar circuit diagram.

Edit: Found it!

hubbel21

Jul 21, 2009
thx

thanks for the links. but i'm a little bit afraid of connecting something to my pda which has an own power supply, the risk of a burn-out is given. i've got a nautiz x5 with 4400mA battery which should have enough energy to supply usb-power to connected devices.

I think I'm going to contact the manufacture of my device, maybe this works for me, but a generic adapter would be of use for anyone.

the chips used for usb should be of the shelf as i don't think each manufacture develops an own logic for usb... but this doesn't imply that the cabeling is standard too.

what the heck makes manufactures providing features in their products which the users can't take advantage of?

jansdejager

Dec 13, 2009
do you mean using keyboards and so on on ppc?

because it's so simple if ur phone has a mini usb plug (the one u plug the power adapter into). i found a cable that plug into that and plugs a normal usb cable in on the other side and blam been typing on my phone using a desktop keyboard. it depends how much power your device requires however. i wish there was some software to feed a video line out so i could watch videos on pair of vizors that wud be rad. all i can find is a mini-sd card converter now whats the point of that. guess i need an itouch

hubbel21

Jul 21, 2009
yes

primary i want to connect usb mass storage devices to my pocket pc. gamecontroller or keyboard would be a good thing too.

my devices doesn't have a standard usb plug, the only thing i got is a adapter from the properitary plug of my device to standard usb male connector, but this is meant for usb-slave use only.

the underlying qeustion is, if there's a way to convert usb-slave to usb-host using the same pins. if it needs an additonaly pin then i don't see a way to convert it as i don't know anything about the pins cableing of my properitary plug.

a week ago i found an adapter which was able to convert the male usb to another male usb... but it didn't work.

the problem is compareable to datatransfer between two pcs via usb - it's possible, but only using properiatry hardware and drivers...

so i think there's no way to solve this problem in a generic way.

anarchyuk

Mar 27, 2007
North East England
out of interest, do you already have windows CE drivers for the device to act as a host and mass storage? I wouldnt mind them if you can point me somewhere..:D