LCD cracked under glass in my pocket.

Search This thread

FanOfSkynyrd

Mar 15, 2011
I really want to buy the GS4 in a month when I'm due for an upgrade, but this cracking thing is getting ridiculous. It makes me really nervous. Looking around on the forums, here's another post where there's a count of 50 people with the same complaint!!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42998569#post42998569

That's only 50 that we know about. How many countless others who aren't on the forums have had the same problem. From what I see even TEP that you would think would cover it requires a 150 dollar deductible if something like this happens. I hope something happens about this issue.

If it worries you that much then don't but the phone. Get another or save your upgrade for a future phone.

Fwiw, of the phones that have experienced this issue...how many have not. My guess is probably more than 99.5% phones don't suffer from this defect. Think of the millions of S4s that have already been sold. Yup I'll take those odds

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: TriggerManCole

eskomo

May 13, 2008
Michigan
For some reason people think that a few complaints mean it is a defect. The picture provided above is a drop. Obviously the person isn't saying it was just broken on its own. Granted most GS4 owners don't visit this site. Members here don't make up even 1/100 of a percent. Still yet its not a defect. What is a defect is how the owners abuse the phones.

Sent from my SGS4. Go Blue!! Buck the Fuc keyes!!

Reactions: RedXXII

iivisionii

Apr 30, 2010
If it worries you that much then don't but the phone. Get another or save your upgrade for a future phone.

Fwiw, of the phones that have experienced this issue...how many have not. My guess is probably more than 99.5% phones don't suffer from this defect. Think of the millions of S4s that have already been sold. Yup I'll take those odds

Thanks for the insight. I understand that stuff happens. If Samsung for example would just be owning up to those "few" people who have had these things happen and replace their screens, it would make me much more comfortable buying the phone. My guess is that they know what's going on or are looking into it and will probably quietly try to make a fix in the future supply to pr event it from happening to more. I have until august, so I'll just wait and see how things go through that point.

neonsector

May 20, 2010
So I pulled out my phone at work, turned it on and 3/4 of my screen was black, there was a tiny crack on the very edge under the glass. I have a hard case and screen protector. Took it to Sprint and asked how it was possible, they said pressure cracks with these are common, but since it is physically damaged I'd have to pay $150 thru Asurion, fantastic. So be very very careful with these because apparently ANY small amount of pressure on these will crack the LCD, even with no other physical damage to the phone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

same thing happened to a kid I know, two cracks under the glass, one long one across the screen one smaller on on bottom. glass look perfect.
sprint told him he is pretty much ***ed

jcan82

Aug 9, 2013
**** s4 LCD

Purely your own speculation in play here. Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it's not true and thankfully, if there is a defect in play here, no one has to prove it to you. Inconsistencies in manufacturing (causing defects, even at random) do happen in any and all products....even the Iphone where workers work 100 hour or more weeks (no brainer random defects will happen in this scenario) and yes it's gonna happen on a Samsung device as well.
This thankfully hasn't happened to me, but I'm not gonna set on my throne and indirectly call someone a liar just because it hasn't happened to my S4....neither should you.

I bought 2 s4 on the same day one for me and one for the wife. Her lcd fried out in 17 days of having it replaced under 30 day no problem. Today my s4 the lcd cracked while in my pocket. Not sure how this but it did, I have had many iPhones, blackberrys, htc and never had one do this. When it comes to my phones I am super careful do to I dont want to pay a billion dollars for a new one. Call ATT they told me pound sand and call samsung so I did. after answering 9 million questions and 10 mins on hold talk to one person told me not a defect in the phone after he told me that the phone will flex and this could happen. So it is not a defect just made to brake. So this will be my last samsung device.

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
Mine broke last week after falling asleep and probably rolling over it a few times.
Stumped me because I could not see any damage to the screen at all so I figured it was a loose connection or something.
Took it apart and in the process the crack widened and I was able to see it clearly.

Bought a digitizer assembly off ebay for $150 and now it works perfectly again plus I got and extra battery and back cover now.
For those without insurance this is definitely an easy fix (just a few screws and the connections all snap on and off).
Don't be afraid to do it yourself rather then paying monthly plus deductible. In time I'm sure the prices will come way down as well.

Reactions: SpringerRider

64Daniel

Jun 4, 2008
Crash LCD S4

So I pulled out my phone at work, turned it on and 3/4 of my screen was black, there was a tiny crack on the very edge under the glass. I have a hard case and screen protector. Took it to Sprint and asked how it was possible, they said pressure cracks with these are common, but since it is physically damaged I'd have to pay $150 thru Asurion, fantastic. So be very very careful with these because apparently ANY small amount of pressure on these will crack the LCD, even with no other physical damage to the phone.

Samsung S4 the new bomber Year 2013

My phone also broke in my front pocket.
I quite agree with you that for samsung S4 is ridiculous after verification after sales service orange israel they confirm that I have broken the lcd in the pocket of my jeans and m have to pay a sum of $ 150 to repair it will have to advertise against samsung in order to stop this arnarque for people who desire future a buy S4.

Eris _2.1_2010

May 13, 2010
South Bend, IN
I was playing with my dog the other day and had my S4 in my back pocket when I fell on my arse and thought I'd destroyed my screen. Pulled my phone out and nothing had happened. Think my Mime Feather glass and my Spigen Neo Hybrid helped absorb the impact.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Running BeanStalk Android 4.3 And KT's Kernel with Killjoy Tweaks

Last edited:

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
I dropped my phone yesterday, screen flat to the ground on concrete from about 3 feet. Only some of the chrome came off around the edges. I was thankful.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

smizak

Aug 16, 2013
Watching the football game last week, my brother took his S4 out of his pocket and the LCD was eggshell cracked under the glass. Best Buy told him to go to hell. A very generous Sprint employee put a new screen on for no charge. He told him it was isolated to older models, first run.

theHoleK

Sep 27, 2013
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. SquareTrade warranty is the way to go...the downside is you are on your own for a spare while the repair is being done.

GramKrackr

Sep 30, 2013
Ft Lauderdale
Breaking an S4 sucks, I work for a Smartphone Repair company and what the guys previously were saying about the LCD/Dig/Glass combination cost being close to $200.00 just for the part is correct. Just for the glass it can be obtained for as little as $30.00. I suggest against going on eBay and purchasing the cheapest glass on there as its 99% a remake and is not the same specs as the original. With the Samsung S4 being LOCA (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) together if you remove it and put a piece of new glass on it the phone will never respond the same way, it also will crack much easier and take the LCD with it. There are legit repair facilities than can replace just the glass, and bond the original LCD to Glass than cure under UV light for an OEM finish and feel. The best thing to have is to obtain insurance through your carrier or Squaretrade to insure you get an original part or replacement unit.

Reactions: RedXXII

LotoTutu

Dec 30, 2013

Mine broke too. I have to replace a new one by myself because it save a lot.

Cowdude1

May 30, 2014
Loose shorts

My son had his G S4 in the pocket of his basketball shorts, the lcd cracked with no damage to glass or any other part of the phone. His phone was in a case with a rubber liner. Top third of the lcd is spider webbed.
Bb shorts are not skinny.
No insurance, so I'll probably sell this on ebay and take the loss. No more S4s for me.

Last edited:

skitzo2000

Apr 19, 2010
$150 to fix

This happened to my wife's phone as well, but we didn't have insurance. I've found the insurance to be a total waste as the deductible plus the cost to carry it usually isn't worth it at all. At least in the times I've had to deal with them.

Instead I called Samsung, and they fixed it for $150.00. Of course I had to ship her phone out to the repair center, but that didn't really cost very much. And to boot I'm positive her screen was replaced with the correct parts. :)

i7vSa7vi7y

Account currently disabled
Feb 4, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
This happened to me. I was go cart racing with my girlfriend, my dad, and my little brother. My phone was in my pocket and against my thigh and seat. Didn't know it was there at the time was too into drifting the corners. Anyways I pulled out my phone after and the LCD was cracked but not the gorilla glass. I guess it flexed and snapped the actual LCD. Just recently I paid $60 on ebay for a S4 LCD and digitizer. Watched a youtube video to repair it and now I have a perfect working S4. Before that I asked a phone repair shop how much it would be and they said $200. So if this happens to anyone else repair it yourself it is not that hard at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We're all forgetting the real issue here. And that's skinny jeans and the consequences of said pants. :)

Guys, of course there will be lemons.... the point in all this is that SA Shady or anyone else that has this happen to their phone "should" be covered under Samsung's warranty when an internal part is broken and there is no other evidence of damage to the phone.Sure, the phone is thin, but if Samsung wants to design them that way they should also be sure that they will be safe when carried in a pocket (no matter how tight that pocket may be) as that is probably where 75% of all people will carry theirs. I use a case, as most people probably do, but a case shouldn't be needed to protect the phone in one's pocket for god's sake.
    I'm just going to say this .The very first day I got mine I dropped it on concrete face down no case, no screen protector.my screen is perfectly fine the only damage was a couple of nicks on the silver bevel.Keep in mind that it fell a good 3 to 4 ft

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    If this is true that its common then make sure you find a complaint and talk to the highest supervisor at sprint to get this reversed if its later found to be a known defect. Worked in the past.

Sent from my SGS4. Go Blue!! Buck the Fuc keyes!!
    You got a lemon. It's as simple as that. If this was a major issue it would be all over the internets. I work construction, I would bet that I have put this device through more abuse in a month and a half than most people do in a 2 year contract period...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2