Ask a question

No registration required

[KitKat] 4.4.4 System, Boot and FOTAKernel Images

OP DooMLoRD

27th October 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 4

47 posts
More
idk if this is a noob question but would it be possible to go back to 4.4.2 and lock the bootloader then ota to 4.4.4 and unlock to get your camera back?
28th October 2014, 12:48 PM   |  #32  
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Flag At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thanks Meter: 5,214

18,728 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema_forever

idk if this is a noob question but would it be possible to go back to 4.4.2 and lock the bootloader then ota to 4.4.4 and unlock to get your camera back?

Technically speaking you can do all that but it will not bring your camera back because when you unlock the bootloader, the DRM keys are wiped out for good (no way to get them back unless you saved the ta partition before doing this).

This is something that can be fixed at a kernel level (as it can be seen from all the other aosp Roms on 4.4.4 with working camera) and I sincerely hope that Sony will roll out in Lollipop.

You want me to put the hammer down?
28th October 2014, 07:20 PM   |  #33  
Thanks Meter: 4

47 posts
More
idk what the hammer is but I hope they fix it with Lolipop aswell I might flash CM11 on it in the mean time.
29th October 2014, 06:22 AM   |  #34  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,569

3,259 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema_forever

idk what the hammer is but I hope they fix it with Lolipop aswell I might flash CM11 on it in the mean time.

"You want me to put the hammer down?" is part of @egzthunder1's sig.

L may or may not fix it, who knows
The Following User Says Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2014, 06:43 PM   |  #35  
Flag Cambridge
Thanks Meter: 54

326 posts
Donate to Me
More
When I first had my XZU I accidentally trashed the TA and had no backup. Back then on jellybean the Sony camera would crash but other camera apps were fine.
Since moving to 4.3.x and 4.4.x the Sony camera app worked just fine.
16th December 2014, 06:06 PM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 5

35 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrunch

@DooMLoRD
Have you seen a XZU GPe get stuck and be unable to flash the boot partition? I get this every time I attempt to flash it.

Code:
[root@f20 4.4.4 Stock Rooted]# fastboot flash boot boot_4.4.4.img 
sending 'boot' (20480 KB)...
OKAY [  2.462s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: image is not a boot image)
finished. total time: 2.466s
Now before we all start screaming bad download, here's the list of things that I've tried...
  • I've tried multiple boot images from various sources, validating md5 sums accordingly. I even tried the restoration procedure from your thread about restoring to stock.
  • I've tried to erase the partition using fastboot (which doesn't return an error) but I still can't flash after that.
  • I've tried using a different OS with fresh drivers. I normally run on a Fedora 20 box but I've tried on Windows 7 using Flashtool as well.
  • I've tried to wipe & clear cache. (Didn't think this would help, but what the hell?)

Anyway, I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

And thank you for all of your hard work on the Xperia line. I've appreciated all of the posts in this forum, the system images and tutorials, as well as the custom recoveries!

Update : flashing boot.img from CM11 works fine. Clearly I'm missing something about how to flash the boot partition on this device. Apparently not all boot.img files are created equal...
Update 2 : I can flash the Advanced Stock Kernel with Dual Recovery without issue, so I'm going to flash my way back to 4.4.3 and go from there.

Fixed! : In the end, it was because I was using an ELF image and fastboot didn't like flashing it for some reason. I reverted my phone back to 4.4.3 using the stock system.img and FOTAKernel.img, then used the Advanced Stock Kernel with Dual Recovery, since they were all flashable via fastboot. Once the system was up, I used adb to push the 4.4.3 stock boot.img to the device and the did an adb shell, su'ed to root, and dd'it onto the boot device. Rebooted, OTA'ed it to 4.4.4. Done.

What a night. This is what I get for starting this project late...

Thanks for this post! After messing around with the boot kernel, I was only able to access fastboot for some reason. Your method brought my GPE back to life.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpark623 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread