Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HOW TO links ~ Verizon HTC One (M8)

OP TonyStark

3rd October 2014, 05:40 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
My GF has this phone. She was with U.S. Cellular and had the HTC 1 for 3 years. Died on her this year at the state fair. We looked at phones and she loved it. I like to get my hands on the phone and root it and make it fly and get great battery life. Thank you for the info. But, I am not sure if she will let me. Ninja time hehe or in the dog house I go.
5th October 2014, 07:31 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs11e

I'm wondering if "how to videos" that discuss rooting, custom recoveries, custom ROMs, etc. should also include a warning about accepting OTA updates?

Lots of Galaxy S3 and S4 users unknowingly accepted OTA updates to find their phones were now hopelessly locked down and no custom recoveries could be installed.

I personally believe ALL carriers want their phones locked down securely and do NOT want anyone to be able to mod a phone in any way and with this belief comes the thought that any phone such as the M8 will sooner or later receive an OTA that will lock the bootloader.

A warning about OTAs couldn't hurt anything...

This is an intelligent post, and oft overlooked. Hopefully most of our ROMS have kill commands for software OTA's, but in the event one is overlooked in a ROM build, people need to know not to accept these. It's not talked about enough.
6th October 2014, 02:43 AM   |  #23  
Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 108

652 posts
More
We've already seen a partial lockdown as newer M8s require spending $25 to unlock the bootloader and root as HTC and/or VZW was apparently able to block the older method.

The next OTA may lock down the M8 as solidly as the Samsung Galaxy phones are locked down. Be aware, don't take an OTA if you want to mod your phone!
26th October 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #24  
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebcabob

Tony, do u mind posting the link for the official sunshine page where I can get my phone unlocked?

Thanks man, and nice thread!

Sorry mate, missed this. Done
12th December 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 3

32 posts
More
Is there a guide to use JTAG to s-off Verizon M8 with Android version 4.4.4?
17th December 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
I'm rooted and unlocked.....maybe?
Hello everyone. I am now to the forum and I'm not sure where I need to post this to ask for help. I recently purchased and HTC One M8 from Ebay. When I received the phone, I was looking through the app drawer and saw the Supersu app. I ran it and it opened as it should. I then downloaded Root Checker from the Play Store and the status showed that the phone was indeed rooted. The phone was running 4.4.2 on the stock ROM. Well the phone kept annoying me for the 4.4.3 update so I gave in and updated to 4.4.3 After the update was installed, I noticed that the SD card was no longer recognized. I installed a different SD card and that one wasn't recognized either. I reformatted the SD card and the phone recognized it so I put some apps on it. I have been trying to update to 4.4.4 but the update always errors out while installing. I get the red triangle with the red exclamation mark in it. When the phone reboots my SD card is not recognized again until it is reformatted and I lose everything on it. According to Supersu and Root Checker, I have now lost root. But when I go in to the Recover screen, it shows "Unlocked" in red letters and also "S-Off" which to my understanding means the phone is still rooted. So long story short is I cannot update the phone, I cannot use an SD card, the phone shows root on the Recovery screen and also the ISIS Mobile Wallet app says my phone is rooted and it won't work. But Supersu and Root Checker shows I'm not rooted. I would like to keep root but I'd settle for a fully functional phone operating as intended. And yes I've been talking to the seller on Ebay but it doesn't look like it's going any where. And HTC said they could expedite a replacement phone overnight for $29 shipping but I'd get charged to have them fix this phone so they could resell it and I was told it would be at least $140 for them to fix it. I have read the forums and watched videos about rooting/unrooting and S-Off/S-On. It all seems so much harder than my Droid X flashing days which I just let go of about 4 months ago. I've only had this M8 for going on a week. Thank you everyone in advance for any possible help. Take care.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread