Camera problem: red/blue/purple noise in low light photos

Does your One have red/blue/purple noise in low light photos?

• Yes

Votes: 1,590 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 180 10.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

mbwambo

Feb 28, 2014
Mwanza
People help me i want to buy htc one m7…… but am worried of pink tint camera…. So is it still there or htc fixed it???? … or there anymeans i can fix myself????…. Help plz

monacoo

Jan 30, 2006
People help me i want to buy htc one m7…… but am worried of pink tint camera…. So is it still there or htc fixed it???? … or there anymeans i can fix myself????…. Help plz

Just test it before purchasing. Or buy the one still warranty and send it back to htc to change the camera (that's what I did)

mbwambo

Feb 28, 2014
Mwanza
Thankz….. If i tested it and no problem…. That means there is no chance of it to develop later its problem??

provista

Aug 15, 2013
Anyone know where I can buy the OmniVision camera module to fix it myself? I'm out of warranty for my HTC one..

I have an M7 btw, is the camera module exactly the same as the one in M8?
I heard all M8:s is shipped with the omnivision module.

Last edited:

Osama Zabin

Oct 4, 2010
Thankz….. If i tested it and no problem…. That means there is no chance of it to develop later its problem??

No guarantee it will not develop :D
The only guarantee is to check the camera module.

If the phone had been used for one year with no purple tint,then most probably purple tint won't develop.

What's the device serial number? You can find it under About Phone > Phone identity.
You can know the exact manufacturing date from this serial number and have an idea, I guess phones manufactured in 2014 won't have purple tint

cloudzero2006

Feb 1, 2012
Backup all phone data (All apps, Contacts, Videos, Photos);
Call the HTC Help Line (0845 890 0079);
Arrange a date & time for collection of the phone;
Clear Phone of all Data (This in any case will be done by HTC);
Remove SIM - Use replacement Handset;
Give boxed to the Collection Courier/Driver;
Wait 7-10 Days for return of phone.
Simples.

Hi mate,

Did you actually send your phone off? If so, did you have S-OFF and a custom ROM installed etc? I have this issue and need to send my phone off but have ARHD ROM installed and am not sure if they will accept it with this, and the red text that shows when the phone boots - any ideas?

leesider

Jul 9, 2013
Hi mate,

Did you actually send your phone off? If so, did you have S-OFF and a custom ROM installed etc? I have this issue and need to send my phone off but have ARHD ROM installed and am not sure if they will accept it with this, and the red text that shows when the phone boots - any ideas?

Waiting for a reply to this as well as have the same camera problem and don't want to have to go to the hassle of 'unrooting' it! I am on ROM ARHD as well

Philipp_94

Nov 29, 2012
Leipzig
Though there is no real causality between software and camera tint since out of the box. I recommend you the get to stock. Its safer, costs less time and you can just back everything up.

mozezman

Feb 19, 2009
Spoke to Jake from HTC yesterday and was told that the red low light tint will resolve with the Lollipop update for the majority of people. Apparently a glitch on Kit Kat set it off

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Osama Zabin

Oct 4, 2010
Spoke to Jake from HTC yesterday and was told that the red low light tint will resolve with the Lollipop update for the majority of people. Apparently a glitch on Kit Kat set it off

So we can wait for lollipop in sense ..M7… those pink tint will be gone…..??

Red or purple tint won't be fixed with software update, including lollipop.

It's hardware defect and needs camera replacement.

Some people reported GREEN tint fixed with lollipop, but red/ purple,No no

akpe

Jan 25, 2006
Athens
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Got my new HTC One today, even though it was manufactured on June 2014 (FA46RW) I have the following sensor:

st vd6869(1.0) cinesensor 0000-00-00

I have no purple tint, and I read somewhere that the zeroes mean it's a fixed version of the sensor. So I guess I should not worry of the purple tint appearing in the future, right? Anyone has more info on this? :)

BTW, the ST sensor means I still get OIS? :D

Last edited:

lawyerone

Nov 5, 2013

You mean the grain noise right? It;s as hell annoying, especially in the front facing camera. Will the front facing camera be fixed too? All become noisy since the SENSE 6.0 Update

Got my new HTC One today, even though it was manufactured on June 2014 (FA46RW) I have the following sensor:

st vd6869(1.0) cinesensor 0000-00-00

I have no purple tint, and I read somewhere that the zeroes mean it's a fixed version of the sensor. So I guess I should not worry of the purple tint appearing in the future, right? Anyone has more info on this? :)

BTW, the ST sensor means I still get OIS? :D

I thought that the OV4688 from M7 also got OIS? So far my OV sensor doesnt blur much in low light, so i believe that the OIS is still intact?

c5satellite2

Mar 2, 2012
For everyone who is too lazy to read:

Green tint is a software issue.

Pink or purple tint is hardware issue and will not be fixed unless the camera module is physically replaced.

This has been answered many times in this thread already. No matter how many times you ask the same question the answer is not going to change. There is no software that will fix a damaged sensor. Pink/purple tint means you have a bad sensor. The only fix is to replace the sensor. Green tint means you have the ST calibration file and an OV sensor. Can be fixed by replacing the ST file with the OV one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Osama Zabin

Macca1980

Aug 22, 2013
For everyone who is too lazy to read:

Green tint is a software issue.

Pink or purple tint is hardware issue and will not be fixed unless the camera module is physically replaced.

This has been answered many times in this thread already. No matter how many times you ask the same question the answer is not going to change. There is no software that will fix a damaged sensor. Pink/purple tint means you have a bad sensor. The only fix is to replace the sensor. Green tint means you have the ST calibration file and an OV sensor. Can be fixed by replacing the ST file with the OV one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Sorry ,
I take it the M8 doesn't have any camera issues may consider that to be safe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so I've done some tests after the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 update

I have good news and bad news...

The good news
    is: Apparently HTC did put some software in it to try and solve the blue/red/purple camera problem and it sort of works...

The bad news: It sort of works only in 5% of moments (at best)... :mad:

In some moments I felt that the images I got were better than the ones I could've got before... And I can definitely see when the software thingy kicks in: After 2-3 seconds when the noise builds up, it jumps right in and the image becomes darker, but with less noise...

The problem is it doesn't eliminate the noise and in a lot of moments I got the same results - the image would gather more and more purple/red/blue noise as the seconds went by.

Worse still, at some point the phone goes crazy and, i guess it's due to the software patch, the screen goes like a Christmas tree light: white noise - blue noise - purple - red noise - black - no noise....

So... The pictures below are a comparison between my first unit (the one that took the pictures in the original postin the thread) and my current (new/replacement) unit in the first days, after a while (when it started presenting the same problem) and now, after the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 Update.

Note: I selected the best shot sample from the 4.3 update batch

G6PtzDK.jpg

FsylKmw.jpg

l8BNmsw.jpg

WW5g70u.jpg

This, i guess, is the only example where the update is better then the others...

Md6aLo2.jpg

The picture below shows a series of shots taken after the 4.3/Sense 5.5 update in chronological order. Notice how the noise starts building up -> So I see no difference there to how it was before the update... Awful...

RUaReWp.jpg

And the picture below shows how the software kicks in, but it starts gathering noise again (slower, but still...)

IE1m7TV.jpg

If you think this post helped, hit the thanks button ;)
    Hello everybody!

I am now a proud owner of an HTC One and I absolutely love it.

Its an SH35BW903846 and, build quality wise, its almost perfect - 99% perfect. No gaps, no dents, not dead pixels, no light bleed and not even the pop/crackle. It's running the 1.29.401.16 software.

The only problem I have (I don't know yet if it is a problem), is with the camera in night time and very low light scenes.

My problem is that in night shots and very low light scenes, the camera turns the black into blue (or red in very very dark scenes). For example, I included some photos, on a dark street with only a few light posts it turns black areas into blurry blue. Yes, it lets in more light (and more natural looking light) than my old One X, but the black areas are blue.

Not to mention, some times it has trouble focusing so a few of the shots I attached were taken after 2-3 tries.

Even more, in very very dark scenarios - see the last picture - it turns the blackness into red.

Now, my questions:

• Is this normal?
    • Has anyone else had this problem (is it a problem)?
    • Can someone post a night time picture taken with their one in similar scenario and without the "blue"?

I am a bit worried because if it is a flaw than i would have to return my almost perfect One... :crying:

If the information below or this thread have helped you in any way, hit the thanks button ;)

UPDATED 13th of November: I took my phone into service again. This time they didn't replace my whole phone, but they did replace the camera module. They put in a camera from SHARP, sensor date 14 october 2013. The first tests I've done indicate that they've finally found a way/a sensor/a manufacturer to make the damned camera perform in low light like it supposed to... See a photo comparison of the new camera here.

UPDATED 14th of October: A comparison test after getting the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 Update: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46781359&postcount=3099 :mad:

UPDATED (2nd of October) - If you have the same problem, please fill in this Google form made by @gogogaga7 so we can have a centralized data base with information about the units that are flawed. The form is here: http://goo.gl/HmRJqC

UPDATED (5th of July) - I just got a replacement for my faulty unit and I just posted comparison photos in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43265994&postcount=89

Advice: If your camera gives you similar results with blue/red/purple noise in low-light photos -> take it back to HTC or an operator or repair service for a replacement!

UPDATED with Poll (13th of August) - Seeing how many replies and page views this thread has gathered during these couple of months, how many of you said they experience this problem and how HTC has not publicly recognized it (either as software or hardware fault), I added a Poll to see indeed how many of us are having this problem. Please vote!

OO0M4fO.jpg

TXIXRbV.jpg

7UvUmzT.jpg

O4X7EKT.jpg

JWJvqSq.jpg

0iTKzDh.jpg

vQ0b0np.jpg
    So, seeing as how I started this thread with some really (really!) awful low-light shots taken with my HTC One, I feel I should come back with some news after my second replacement.

My first unit (the one which took those awful blue photos in the OP) was exchanged with a new unit ( a new phone), but unfortunately, after a few days (maybe a week), the camera started going bad again... In a matter of months I was back in the purple tint club. I waited for the famous 4.3 update to see if it really changes anything. My conclusions after that, you can see in the photo comparison I posted here.

So, I took back my unit into service (Regenersis), they shipped it to Poland where they have their laboratories and in just a week they sent it back with a new camera module instaled (from SHARP, sensor date 14 october 2013) and now it really seems they have finally found a way/ a sensor/ a manufacturer to make the damned camera perform in low light like it supposed to...

Actually, I was really (extremely in some cases) impressed with the low light performance... Especially when I put the photos against the ones that I took before.

So... Down below you will find a photo comparison between my new HTC One camera and the old faulty camera on the same HTC One just after the 4.3 update.

As a note, the images were taken under very similar circumstances and lighting conditions:

aFGpaAG.jpg

NUUzsXp.jpg

qxCuIuH.jpg

zBP4Wfc.jpg

v8Mz13k.jpg

tuXZXi4.jpg

In this photo, in the picture take with the old camera, there was more light because of a light turned on just above and on one of the first floor window in the building bhind me:

lx6dAp2.jpg

gPB2Dx9.jpg

Here is the details of the new camera they put on my phone:

OGqBuuv.jpg

>>>Hit the thanks button if you thing this post helped at all ;)
    We have a conclusion ( @Riyal and me): the camera issue it's a software issue.
    It's caused from some libs and a bit of code in the kernel.
    So, we're at working to how to solve it, but this require time.
    We hoping that we can do a solution soon.

Cheers,
    Guich :)
    Hello everybody!

I took my unit into service last week and today I was called that my replacement unit arrived and I can pick it up (although i didn't expect them to replace my phone, but try to repair it and maybe break it even more. They agreed to except a replacement and told me that, indeed, there is a problem with the camera sensor and sent the faulty unit back to HTC ).

Ok, so I just got my new phone (the replacement unit) and, after testing it a bit, I can say that the problem is gone (or so I hope).

Below, I took some photos in the same places I took the photos posted in the first post of this thread and I compared them. So, up top you can see the photos taken with my old One unit, and below - the photos take with my new unit.

All photos are taken on Full Auto mode, with just a touch to focus before pressing the shutter button:

FSsoORO.jpg

tB0HcHK.jpg

3qanpD0.jpg

jY84sOC.jpg

oNSdYdn.jpg

rQ9iS7y.jpg

zONb6kI.jpg

@Riyal I thought you might be interested :)