Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[ROOT KERNEL FOR TowelRoot] Tab Pro 8.4, 10.1

OP RavenY2K3

12th December 2014, 04:12 AM   |  #201  
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdsinging

Thank you so much I was definitely getting a little mixed up there.
I just got the GTP 8.4 the other day and it's on KOT49H.T320UEU1ANG1, so I'll just go ahead and start downloading the TR apk and re-read the instructions and get going.

Actually, I just want to clarify just a bit. I missed the part of you still being on G1 (was thinking of another post). Your best bet would be to do what I just finished doing myself. Update to K1 (via OTA or Odin if you want to go that route) -> in Odin flash the rootable kernel (from the front page) -> root with Towelroot -> update SuperSU (it will automatically prompt you for this after rooting - select cancel or never when it asks to disable knox) -> check for root with Root Checker (from Play store) -> in Odin flash the K1 KERNEL ONLY. Those are the main steps. Holler if you have more questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to opeth2112 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th December 2014, 04:45 PM   |  #202  
Thanks Meter: 3

16 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by opeth2112

Actually, I just want to clarify just a bit. I missed the part of you still being on G1 (was thinking of another post). Your best bet would be to do what I just finished doing myself. Update to K1 (via OTA or Odin if you want to go that route) -> in Odin flash the rootable kernel (from the front page) -> root with Towelroot -> update SuperSU (it will automatically prompt you for this after rooting - select cancel or never when it asks to disable knox) -> check for root with Root Checker (from Play store) -> in Odin flash the K1 KERNEL ONLY. Those are the main steps. Holler if you have more questions.

No harm done I saw that bit about G1 not working in a linked page when I went to go back and double check before starting. The Gizmodriod link shows what the cutoff date is for the Rootable kernel. Thanks for the step by step, that's a big help!

eta for all my fretting, that was ridiculously easy. Rooted and confirmed with root checker, SuperSU working just fine. Still listed as Official and 0x0. Thank you so much for helping me out!
success!

Last question, I promise. Is it ever safe to disable Knox, or would that risk tripping it?
Last edited by blackbirdsinging; 12th December 2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: success!
15th December 2014, 02:51 AM   |  #203  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
i just recently purchased a Tab Pro 8.4 and i'm exploring what options are available. i am familiar with rooting, installing recoveries, and flashing custom roms. however, i'm not familiar with knox. the last device i had that had an unlocked bootloader was a galaxy s3 so i had no worries when it came to knox. now i have an ATT note 3 with a locked bootloader and can only use safestrap, so again no real custom roms so no knox issues.

my T320 is currently on the NK1 and i understand i need to revert to a previous kernel, use TR and update SU, then flash back to NK1. but if i want to install CWM/TWRP and go with a custom rom like CM11/12 will i trip the knox counter? i dont really care either way but the wife is pissed that i'm already looking at flashing it and its only 2 days old.
any replies would be appreciated. thanks
15th December 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #204  
Flag Ft. Walton Beach
Thanks Meter: 752

1,979 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdevillier19

i just recently purchased a Tab Pro 8.4 and i'm exploring what options are available. i am familiar with rooting, installing recoveries, and flashing custom roms. however, i'm not familiar with knox. the last device i had that had an unlocked bootloader was a galaxy s3 so i had no worries when it came to knox. now i have an ATT note 3 with a locked bootloader and can only use safestrap, so again no real custom roms so no knox issues.

my T320 is currently on the NK1 and i understand i need to revert to a previous kernel, use TR and update SU, then flash back to NK1. but if i want to install CWM/TWRP and go with a custom rom like CM11/12 will i trip the knox counter? i dont really care either way but the wife is pissed that i'm already looking at flashing it and its only 2 days old.
any replies would be appreciated. thanks

Knox is just samsung's way of monitoring their devices. If its tripped, you void your warranty. If you have an issue and try to send it in while tripped, they will know.

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Free mobile app
15th December 2014, 03:13 AM   |  #205  

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmbeach05

Knox is just samsung's way of monitoring their devices. If its tripped, you void your warranty. If you have an issue and try to send it in while tripped, they will know.

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Free mobile app

thanks for the reply. i understand what knox does but have never had to worry about tripping it because on my note 3 i can only use safestrap roms. would installing a custom rom like cm11 trip knox on the T320? ideally i'd like to go to an AOSP style rom but the wife is worried about void warranty so quickly.
16th December 2014, 12:28 AM   |  #206  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 390

1,407 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdevillier19

thanks for the reply. i understand what knox does but have never had to worry about tripping it because on my note 3 i can only use safestrap roms. would installing a custom rom like cm11 trip knox on the T320? ideally i'd like to go to an AOSP style rom but the wife is worried about void warranty so quickly.

Don't think Safestrap has been made available for the Tab Pro, you will indeed trip the counter if you want to use anything other than stock.
16th December 2014, 05:32 AM   |  #207  

10 posts
That's what I was thinking. Now I just have to wait till the wife is gone and zap the touchwiz. Better to beg for forgiveness that to ask for permission right.
Today, 06:26 PM   |  #208  
Flag Porto

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asure

I did the same recently for T320XXU1BNI1_T320OXA1BNI1_BTU release, and have attached the original kernel from that firmware for those who wish to root that one as well.
Steps are the same as before.
- Flash rootable kernel from page #1
- Reboot, & root with towelroot, install supersu etc.. (do not work around knox, or disable knox, read the whole topic..)
- Flash back the attached kernel.

THE ATTACHED KERNEL IS ONLY FOR T320XXU1BNI1_T320OXA1BNI1_BTU release!

Hi,
I have one GTP T320 with NI1 too.
Could you pls explain better the 2nd step. I didn't understand clearly what you want to say with "do not work around knox, or disable knox". I can't disable Knox warning messages with SuperSu, is it? If so, how can I stop those boring warnings?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread