OP Redth

13th December 2014, 07:10 AM   |  #171  
Thanks Meter: 99

353 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellersl

Jonathan,

I was unable to purchase/install FiredTV Launcher (1.1.1) from the app store last night. I did finally find it. but Amazon won't let me install it. I have the the GitHub version (1.1.0) installed, but it will only self-launch maybe 1 in 10 times. And then it's a *royal* PIA to have to keep navigating back to re-launch it.

I need it. I want it. Rooting, for now, isn't an option. So is there anything I can do to improve its function? Thinking out of pure ignorance:

What if you delayed launching it until the Fire has settled down? I know someone will complain about the delay, so maybe make it user selectable?

Last night for the first time I can recall we watched on the Fire TV an episode of Somebody's Gotta Do It and one of Shark Tank - GLITCH FREE! No reboots. No stuttering. No freezing. Something I couldn't do on the Roku without XBMC/Icefilms, Plex and a PC, and something I couldn't do on a Minix Neo without a lot of patience. But without a wife-friendlier user interface, it's just another semi-functional toy that she won't use.

you could use llama to link it to another app so if it doesnt launch u could just click the app from recent to launch the launcher instead of having to dig into settings. its what people do to launch xbmc so it may be helpful in this situation.
14th December 2014, 02:36 AM   |  #172  
Flag Los Alamos, NM
Thanks Meter: 23

212 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanj

you could use llama ...

Thanks for the suggestion. I was way ahead of you.

I don't particularly like the UI in Llama, and I had some experience with MacroDroid, so I sideloaded it and had it configured with the first macro in about 5 minutes. Trying various triggers, I finally settled on Screen On. If FiredTV fails to launch, all I have to do is toggle the power button on the wireless keyboard. I can live with that for now but I think I may have to invest in the FLIRC to complete the set up.
14th December 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #173  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I just started using the app it is excellent. Fantastic job. I would bet the home button redirection is what is holding it back. In effect, it bypasses the screen where they advertise content for purchase. Would it be possible to submit it without the option and re-enable it some way after install for who want that feature? Or submit it without the option so it can be a sacrficial app for llama to launch the github version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redth

No, it never really made it into the Fire TV store, but it is in the normal kindle fire store (though somehow hard to find). I'm still trying to sort out with Amazon why it won't show up as a Fire TV specific app :s

15th December 2014, 03:12 AM   |  #174  
Thanks Meter: 9

272 posts
Looks great! Currently I'm using XBMC as my launcher, but I'm curious about two things:

1.) is there an option to change an app icon? For instance, it'd be nice to change that hideous orange smiley face to something better for the native Fire TV launcher

2.) I imagine this isn't supported now, but it'd be great if it supported folders. Would clean things up a bit if one could have a "Games" folder for instance with all his game apps in that folder.

Thanks for the hard work!
17th December 2014, 07:32 PM   |  #175  
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Will this work on a firestick?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using XDA Free mobile app
17th December 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #176  
Thanks Meter: 130

689 posts
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardsternisbatman

Will this work on a firestick?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezdup

this launcher is wonderful. thank you! using it on a fire stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezdup

it's a bit finicky but yea 9 times out of 10 it'll go to FiredTV.

yes, latest firmware. autostart is also hit or miss. it did a few times, but there were times it hasn't.

i made some shelf wallpapers for anybody that wants to use them (credit goes to http://educosan.deviantart.com/art/Shelf-184209283. i just did some photoshopping):

unfortunately it's not perfect. when you scroll down the icons don't line up in the same spots:

a few diff colors:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71070185/FTVW/1.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71070185/FTVW/2.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71070185/FTVW/3.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71070185/FTVW/4.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71070185/FTVW/5.png

use the following settings:
app label font size = 12
app label alpha = 0
app icon alpha = 0
top info bar alpha = 255

i'll leave these hosted there for anybody that wants to use them

17th December 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #177  
Flag Los Alamos, NM
Thanks Meter: 23

212 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinespending

1.) is there an option to change an app icon? For instance, it'd be nice to change that hideous orange smiley face to something better for the native Fire TV launcher

I've read that you can use the Amazon FireTV Utility App to do that. But I can't figure out how to use it for what it's intended!

If someone were to point me to a brief tutorial, I'd be happy to try it. I agree. The native Fire TV launcher icon is fugly.
18th December 2014, 05:42 AM   |  #178  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 4

128 posts
More
is there anyway to unhide apps that are hidden by default? i'm trying to get the amazon video and app store apps unhidden but they always revert back to hidden and never show up on the screen.
18th December 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #179  
Flag In the wind
Thanks Meter: 63

514 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight62

is there anyway to unhide apps that are hidden by default? i'm trying to get the amazon video and app store apps unhidden but they always revert back to hidden and never show up on the screen.

Even if they stuck, I don't think they can be run directly.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
firetv, home, launcher
Previous Thread Next Thread