OP jmsq

15th December 2014, 12:55 PM   |  #721  
Flag Western Cape
Thanks Meter: 6

63 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsq

Unfortunately that appears to be wishful thinking for now. I tested it and it looks like we can't boot lollipop with a KitKat kernel

Do you think we can have Android L w/ the kernel if we get Safestrap 3.82 on our device soon?
16th December 2014, 01:33 AM   |  #722  
Thanks Meter: 651

1,308 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohacks4pone

Do you think we can have Android L w/ the kernel if we get Safestrap 3.82 on our device soon?

Updating Safestrap has nothing to do with our kernel. The only way to Lollipop is either to have an exploit or get the official OTA for Lollipop when it comes, root, get SS working, and hope GPE's still work.
16th December 2014, 06:54 AM   |  #723  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 51

246 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9

Updating Safestrap has nothing to do with our kernel. The only way to Lollipop is either to have an exploit or get the official OTA for Lollipop when it comes, root, get SS working, and hope GPE's still work.

Man I don't know if I want to update to TW Lollipop. Doubly so without xposed
17th December 2014, 03:26 AM   |  #724  
Thanks Meter: 3

21 posts
Quote:

Hi all,

After discovering the terrible mistake I made buying an AT&T S4 with a non-unlockable bootloader, I looked for any way to run an AOSP/GPE rom on this phone with Safestrap. It looks like I've finally gotten it into a decent state for my personal use so I thought I'd share.

The ROM is based on [AOSP] Official 4.4.3 - S4 Google Edition - Final-R2.0 and nearly all of the credit goes to them for making a GPE rom that actually boots with our kernel. The only changes I've made are ripping out the kernel for safestrap, installing a wrapper script for the sdcard binary, and some post_boot init script additions to properly load the WiFi module. For wifi to work, you need your stock kernel's modules installed after the ROM, specifically dhd.ko, to /system/lib/modules.

If you'd like to enable Nexus-style software buttons and disable the hardware capacitive buttons, see this thread for instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2032117. You can disable the capacitive button lights with GravityBox.

Warning:
Do NOT take OTA updates with this rom. Doing so could break the rom, or in the worst case trip Knox, which would void your warranty. I'll do my best to update the rom to the latest version as soon as possible.

What works:
Internal/external storage
WiFi (may not come up every boot, a soft reboot usually fixes)
USB debugging
USB internet tethering
Paid apps from Play Store (see workaround below)
Chrome (see workaround below)
Google Earth (remove from /system/app and reinstall from Play store)
IPv6 APN (for compatible carriers such as T-Mobile)
Almost everything else

In progress:
WiFi Tethering (see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=662)

What doesn't work:
USB MTP (due to kernel differences)

AT&T Install Instructions:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53758259

Verizon Install Instructions:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...ition-t2817708

Download:
4.4.2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByC...XA2dW1naGtsR2s
4.4.3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByC...XFTdnpYSmxyZHM

Update:
4.4.4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByC...E02ZlJRQkgxTWM (requires 4.4.3)

Lollipop/5.0:
The 5.0.0 OTA for the real S4 GPE came out today, so I tried adapting it like the 4.4.4 update. Unfortunately and not surprisingly, it failed to boot. This probably means we need to wait for AT&T's 5.0 TW update to get a compatible kernel to make 5.0 GPE work

FAQ:
WiFi isn't working: Do a soft reset with the GravityBox Power Menu or the Xposed Installer.

USB Transfer not working: Use Airdroid, FTPServer, or adb push/pull.

Paid apps won't install: See workaround below.

Chrome force closes on new tab: See workaround below.

Paid Apps & Chrome Workaround:
Install SELinux Mode Changer and set SELinux to permissive.

Thank you so much for this ROM. If you don't mind me asking do you think you could port an AOKP ROM using this method (they use similar kernals)
I really don't mean to spam or cause you stress but I really like AOKP 😂

Sent from a Google driven BEAST
17th December 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #725  
OP Member
Flag West Lafayette
Thanks Meter: 126

54 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by obey.aw

Thank you so much for this ROM. If you don't mind me asking do you think you could port an AOKP ROM using this method (they use similar kernals)
I really don't mean to spam or cause you stress but I really like AOKP 😂

No worries However I'm not going to make custom ports because I wouldn't personally use/test them, and my S4 is no longer a daily driver. That being said I do enjoy hacking on this ROM in my free time, so once we have a working L kernel for this phone I'll do what I can to port L GPE over if it's still possible.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmsq For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th December 2014, 04:37 PM   |  #726  

21 posts
Quote:

No worries However I'm not going to make custom ports because I wouldn't personally use/test them, and my S4 is no longer a daily driver. That being said I do enjoy hacking on this ROM in my free time, so once we have a working L kernel for this phone I'll do what I can to port L GPE over if it's still possible.

I completely understand man! Its fine but if you don't mind could you pm me the steps and scripts you used for this ROM to port it? If I make an AOKP port YOU WILL GET CREDIT!! Thanks again for the ROM 😊

19th December 2014, 01:00 AM   |  #727  

16 posts
More
Quote:

Last night I made some progress on wifi tethering. I now know the commands to make it work, but I haven't figured out an easy way to implement the fix for everyone yet.

1. Toggle Wifi off.

Code:
# rmmod dhd; insmod /system/lib/modules/dhd.ko "firmware_path=/system/etc/wifi/bcmdhd_apsta.bin nvram_path=/system/etc/wifi/nvram_net.txt"
3. Toggle Wifi AP on; it should now be broadcasting properly.

4. When done, toggle Wifi AP off.

Code:
# rmmod dhd; insmod /system/lib/modules/dhd.ko "firmware_path=/system/etc/wifi/bcmdhd_sta.bin nvram_path=/system/etc/wifi/nvram_net.txt"
6. Toggle Wifi on.

could i run these commands on my device with 'terminal emulator'?
The Following User Says Thank You to gtrijoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2014, 01:03 AM   |  #728  
OP Member
Flag West Lafayette
Thanks Meter: 126

54 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrijoe

could i run these commands on my device with 'terminal emulator'?

Yes, either that or adb shell with root access will work.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread