[HOW TO]Root the Tab Pro 8.4 and 10.1

Search This thread

k8108

Jun 27, 2010
Hi All,
K8108 was helpful in getting me back in business! I was able to get the tablet to boot up properly again. I went into the settings and enabled USB debugging and then attempted another root. Didn't work. Remember I 'm right of the box. I am using the file from the top of this thread.
What am I missing?

Thanks.

Can you tell me the steps you are taking to do this? I have rooted several times with this file and had success every time.

greggriffin13

Dec 14, 2013
Yes, thanks for your willingness to help. After I flashed the firmware with your help, I went into the tablet settings and checked the USB debugging box. I then went back to Odin and plugged in my tablet. The com port turned blue and I left the two boxes checked (auto reboot and reset time). I loaded the tar file (smt520) from the zip and the message box reads as follows:

<ID:0/007> added!
<OSM> checking CS for MDS
<OSM> check MDS... do not unplug the cable
<OSM> please wait...
<OSM> CF Autoroot picassowifi-picassowifixx-smt520.tar
<OSM> checking MDS... finished sucessfully...
<OSM> leave CS...

then when I run it, I get this...
<ID:0/007> Odin v 3 engine (ID:7)
<ID:0/007>file analysis
<ID:0/007>set up connection
<ID:0/007>initialization
<ID:0/007>get PIT for mapping
<ID:0/007>firmware update start
<ID:0/007>recovery.img
<ID:0/007>NAND write start
<ID:0/007>cache.img
FAIL!
<OSM> all threads completed (succeed 0/ failed 1)

I tried to attache a screen shot, but am not being successful at it. I believe I've tried two different ports, and I get the blue box each time.

I appreciate any help to see what I"m not doing correctly.
Thanks so much.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Yes, thanks for your willingness to help. After I flashed the firmware with your help, I went into the tablet settings and checked the USB debugging box. I then went back to Odin and plugged in my tablet. The com port turned blue and I left the two boxes checked (auto reboot and reset time). I loaded the tar file (smt520) from the zip and the message box reads as follows:

<ID:0/007> added!
<OSM> checking CS for MDS
<OSM> check MDS... do not unplug the cable
<OSM> please wait...
<OSM> CF Autoroot picassowifi-picassowifixx-smt520.tar
<OSM> checking MDS... finished sucessfully...
<OSM> leave CS...

then when I run it, I get this...
<ID:0/007> Odin v 3 engine (ID:7)
<ID:0/007>file analysis
<ID:0/007>set up connection
<ID:0/007>initialization
<ID:0/007>get PIT for mapping
<ID:0/007>firmware update start
<ID:0/007>recovery.img
<ID:0/007>NAND write start
<ID:0/007>cache.img
FAIL!
<OSM> all threads completed (succeed 0/ failed 1)

I tried to attach a screen shot, but am not being successful at it. I believe I've tried two different ports, and I get the blue box each time.

I appreciate any help to see what I"m not doing correctly. By the way, I have no problems flashing back with the updated firmware tar file. Is it possible that I somehow downloaded a corrupted smt520 file?

Thanks so much.

k8108

Jun 27, 2010
I would try to download again the file for rooting. If you are able to get Odin to recognize your tablet and do other functions them I would assume your drivers and cables are okay. (you are in download mode when flashing, right?)

greggriffin13

Dec 14, 2013
I would try to download again the file for rooting. If you are able to get Odin to recognize your tablet and do other functions them I would assume your drivers and cables are okay. (you are in download mode when flashing, right?)
Makes sense to me because yes, I am in download mode when I flash the firmware. I wondered about the drivers but figured that was okay because of what you stated. I will try downloading the CF root file once more.

tinkermale

Dec 14, 2014
Flash pass.. no root..

I have followed instructions to the letter and have succesfully flashed the md5 file

however see the screen i have attached..

it reverts to stock image for some reason. and i still have no root even if odin succesfully installs the img

Pls help !

Attachments

• _20141214_124817.jpg
    _20141214_124817.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 462

tinkermale

Dec 14, 2014
solved it

I have followed instructions to the letter and have succesfully flashed the md5 file

however see the screen i have attached..

it reverts to stock image for some reason. and i still have no root even if odin succesfully installs the img

Pls help !

I held volume up /home key/ and power.. did a wipe cache and factory reset.. then ran the root and it was rooted.. voila!

miatawnt2b

Apr 4, 2011
Hey guys... need some help.
My T520 will not go into downoad mode. What I get instead is a CWM looking screen titled "Android system recovery <3e>"
Menu selections like update from adb, update from external storage, etc.

This is a device fresh out of the box.

Does this device happen to have custom recover already installed and I can just flash a rom via the apply update option?

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Hey guys... need some help.
My T520 will not go into downoad mode. What I get instead is a CWM looking screen titled "Android system recovery <3e>"
Menu selections like update from adb, update from external storage, etc.

This is a device fresh out of the box.

Does this device happen to have custom recover already installed and I can just flash a rom via the apply update option?

I'm an idiot... was pressing vol up instead of down.

Reactions: tankdog03

Zephead

Mar 5, 2011
Utah
This root method just worked flawlessly on my friends SM-T320 and upon opening superuser it asked me to disable Knox and it worked, thanks!

Nick99EXB

Nov 28, 2007
Brooklyn
If anybody experiences random reboots it is due to disabling Knox. I let supersu disable knox, then froze it in titanium and had tons of reboots. I defrosted knox in titanium, reinstalled supersu, and said no to the disable prompt and no reboots since. I don't think it happens to everybody but I thought I would just throw it out there.

Reactions: RiverCity.45

limerz

Mar 15, 2011
Stuck trying to find PIT paritition - Resolved with notes for others

I followed all the steps exactly but when it came to "Finishing Up", I waited around five or more minutes after a PASS in Odin with no reboot. When I manually powered down and back up, I was stuck in a boot loop that essentially said:

Code:
Unable to do normal boot

If I held the power button in, the device would reboot but never power down. Eventually, I got tired and needed to go to bed but didn't want the device to kill the battery completely if it could be avoided. I tried holding the power button in with the volume down button but without luck. Eventually I just tried timing the hold and release of the power button to time itself with the next power on (screen becoming lit with no text yet). This eventually got the device to power down completely. This morning I powered the device on with the volume down button held in and it took me to the "Warning" screen again. From here I was able to run Odin 3.07 (I'm sure 3.09 will work as well) and ran through the process without issues.

The device rebooted back into the standard rom but I let it sit for another few minutes (not sure exactly how long, I did other work for around 30 minutes) and came back to PASS! from a former RESET in Odin. The no PIT partition error was not seen again since a good power down and "warning" boot. I hope this may help others.

Nelly729

Feb 14, 2015
Stuck in Odin Mode

I followed the steps described in the guide.
Installed kies, dl cf auto root, extracted and started Odin, power off tab and got into Odin Mode, verified tab connected to COM5, pressed Start and got a "Fail" message with red box.
Tab says downloading with a small blue bar half way across the bottom of the screen, still in Odin Mode.
HELP!!

k8108

Jun 27, 2010
I followed the steps described in the guide.
Installed kies, dl cf auto root, extracted and started Odin, power off tab and got into Odin Mode, verified tab connected to COM5, pressed Start and got a "Fail" message with red box.
Tab says downloading with a small blue bar half way across the bottom of the screen, still in Odin Mode.
HELP!!

Try a different computer and/or a different cord. The cord that came with the tablet is usually best. Odin is temperamental that way.

eltabry

Jan 20, 2007
i made all steps and my sm-t320 was rooted but can not lot to recovery mode ever (i used odin to root but i select "PL" instead "Pda" ) and i try again with "PDA" root was Ok, when i log to recovery mode i got a Black Screen

magostinelli

Mar 2, 2012
Prato
Hello, I rooted the tab with towel root, and everything was ok. Now i upgraded to the Last Samsung android version, but I lost root access! If I re-run towel, it says that my phone is not supported.

CalvinH

Apr 26, 2009
Hello, I rooted the tab with towel root, and everything was ok. Now i upgraded to the Last Samsung android version, but I lost root access! If I re-run towel, it says that my phone is not supported.

They fixed the exploit that allowed towelroot to work. In order to root your tab in newer ROM versions you have to downgrade your kernel, then root, then go back to your kernel. You have the 'rootable' kernels and everything explained here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2786800

Reactions: magostinelli

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Credit to @roustabout for providing @Chainfire with the stock recovery. And to @blulite for monitoring the CF thread for the release of CF Auto-Root.

NOTE #1: This procedure WILL trip the Knox flag.
    NOTE #2: It is advisable that you do not connect your Tab Pro 8.4 to your computer until reaching Step 7.

STEP 1
    Download Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones (Windows Only):
    Softpedia
    Samsung's Website (you'll have to search a generic device, like Galaxy S4, in order to find the driver)
    OR
    Install Kies:
    http://content.samsung.com/us/contents/aboutn/kiesIntro.do

STEP 2
    Tab 8.4 Download CF Auto-Root (8.4)
    Tab 10.1 Download CF Auto-Root (10.1)

STEP 3
    Extract files to a folder on your desktop, open newly created folder, run Odin.

STEP 4
    In Odin, for the Tab 8.4, choose "PDA" and select the file "CF-Auto-Root-mondrianwifi-mondrianwifixx-smt320.tar.md5" (included in the CF Auto-Root zip)
    For the Tab 10.1, choose "PDA" and select the file "CF-Auto-Root-picassowifi-picassowifixx-smt520.tar.md5" (included in the CF Auto-Root zip)

STEP 5
    Power off your Tab.

STEP 6
    On your Tab, hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until you see a "Warning!!" screen with a large yellow triangle at the bottom. Press Volume Up to continue.

STEP 7
    Connect your Tab to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
    Your computer should now automatically install the appropriate drivers for use in the Tab's "Download Mode".

STEP 8
    In Odin, verify that your Tab is connected to a COM port (yellow box with text "COM x" where "x" is a number)

STEP 9
    In Odin, press "Start"

FINISHING UP
    Upon a successful flash, Odin will display "PASS" and your Tab will reboot.
    You can expect to have to disable Knox, and SuperUser should prompt you to do this.

Be sure to thank @Chainfire; he's an amazing contributor to all that is Android.
    I repeat read up and you will see discussions on it, in this thread. I know cause I ask the questions.

I also have a galaxy tab pro 8.4, and I haven't rooted mine yet, I did my research before hand.

there's no sense in cursing and putting the blaming on others, no one twisted your arm.

So please be respectful, these guys don't have to do this for us but they do.

Sent from the Galaxy TabPro 8.4 aboard the StarShip Enterprise
    Google didn't bring me "all over the General and Q&A sections", it brought me to the first page in this thread. All the Note 3 rooting instructions clearly state "Warning: will trip the knox flag!" if it's appropriate to do so. I looked for such a warning in the instructions beforehand, and there was none. It's pure laziness and condescension to NOT include those 6 little words. How many people have voided their warranty without realizing it thanks to the OP's neglect?

For Jeebus' sake, my 1-day old tablet now has a voided warranty thanks to this.

I'm sending massive negative energy to the OP. If there was an unthank-you button, I'd press it 50 times.
    One of the best rules of Android:
    If you didn't research it, don't attempt it.
    A side note for 8.4 model:
    DO NOT disable KNOX after rooted (root still works for sure). Just hit cancel when you're prompted.
    This will avoid random crash due to a service failure which requires KNOX.
    If you, unfortunately, disabled KNOX, you have to:
    re-flash with Kies (this will wipe internal storage)
    -----or----- (if you have ROM downloaded)
    1. factory reset the tablet.
    2. enter download mode and flash ROM with Odin.
    3. factory reset again.
    After that, you will have another chance NOT to disable KNOX.
    Mine had a lot of system crash after disabled KNOX, but the problem is gone after re-flashed ROM and did factory reset, and NOT to disable KNOX.
    perfect

I just did it and it's pefect for my tab pro 8.4! thx.
    i just installed SDFix and every app can now write on the sd card (Archos vidéo app to get subtitle, muTorrent.... ;))
    I also installed "MW apps manager" and now every app can be add to the multi windows feature :)