Firefox OS Architecture and Collaboration Opportunities w/ Asa Dotzler – XDA:DevCon 2014

We were privileged to host many presentations … more

Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] How to clear timeline in my files app?

OP wiatrp1

17th May 2014, 03:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Elbląg
Thanks Meter: 5

18 posts
More
Is it possible to clear timeline in stock My file app? I have tried to select a file and delete by tapping bin icon, but this deleted that file also from original folder.
28th May 2014, 07:46 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Also looking for a solution, let me know if you find out if its possible
25th November 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 9

87 posts
I also would like to know

Is there a solution yet?
17th December 2014, 09:20 PM   |  #4  

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekatch

I also would like to know

Is there a solution yet?

I've been looking for a way to clear or disable the Timeline myself with no success. Perhaps Timeline items go away only when you move the files off the device(?)...
18th December 2014, 09:19 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 12

72 posts
More
Unfortunately the "My Files" "Timeline" content is actually controlled by another process called "Media Storage" (this process scans all the files on the device looking for pictures, music, and other content then it builds a database so the system or apps such as music players can quickly find the content, it usually runs on boot-up and can update occasionally.

The only way to clear (or temporary clear) the timeline content is to clear the "Media Storage" database, by clicking "Force stop" and "Clear data" on the Media Storage process, though if you do this it will just rescan again eventually, and if you turn it off or prevent it from scanning you can loose access to your ringtones / alarms and other system sounds , also any music files on the device as a lot of applications use this service (otherwise everything would need to scan the memory card ./ memory for files causing increased cpu overhead and device lags....)...

See screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-18-00-06-49.png
Views:	94
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	3070041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-18-00-07-04.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	3070043  
18th December 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #6  

13 posts
Smile
Thanks a ton, otyg! It's not an ideal solution, but it's better than nothing. I mostly wanted to clear the Timeline data and start it over, and this does seems to do that.
21st December 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #7  

1 posts
Figured it out
Plug tablet into the computer. Rename the folder that you don't want showing up with a '.' in front of it. I.e. "Adult" to ".Adult".

Then install Astro File manager, change the settings so that you can view hidden folders. And then you can still access the folder from the tablet, but will not show up in Timeline or the stock file manager.
21st December 2014, 01:33 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 12

72 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard2014

Plug tablet into the computer. Rename the folder that you don't want showing up with a '.' in front of it. I.e. "Adult" to ".Adult".

Then install Astro File manager, change the settings so that you can view hidden folders. And then you can still access the folder from the tablet, but will not show up in Timeline or the stock file manager.

you might also be-able to add a .nomedia file to the folder too this is supposed to prevent the media scanner from scanning the folder contents, though it doesn't work on all devices and I haven't tested it with timeline. or samsung yet., thought I would throw it out there if anyone wants to test.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.4., kitkat, my files, timeline
Previous Thread Next Thread