Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Tool] Which IDE do you prefer? Eclipse, Android Studio or something else?

OP andreait15

22nd October 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #51  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
More
Android studio is good, as it has lots of features and easy to use. As its in development stage, few bugs are there but not a prob when it matures.
24th October 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #52  

18 posts
I can't believe I'm reading people complain about 5-10 second compile times... You kids today have no clue or respect for just how good you have it...

I'm happy to work in any environment that let's me work easily and quickly, and can have the app compiled and running in under a minute... Some of you need a lesson in old school programming and how hard it really was.

And yes, I can code in VI under *nix but why torture myself needlessly.

As to the op question, any environment that let's me work easily gets my vote and these days, that's most of them...
Last edited by cozkramer; 24th October 2014 at 11:16 PM.
9th November 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #53  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Eclipse - but probably because I'm conservative. I'm already tired of the bugs and poor performance.
I hope to soon time I turn on the Android Studio.
9th November 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #54  

8 posts
I have started develop on Android Studio, then I had do switch to Eclipse. And right now I'm working at home on AS for my private projects and I prefer it over Eclipse, but I have to admit that from time to time some small crashes took place, but it's really quite complete solution those days and every update more and more useful tools are implemented.
17th November 2014, 02:08 PM   |  #55  

13 posts
I recently changed from Eclipse, which I used for Android development from Android 1.6 on, to Android Studio. I did this, because I think Android Studio will receive much more attention from Google in the near future. Overall, the experience with Android Studio is quite good. Most things are nicely integrated and working smoothly. I just had a very few crashes so far and it improves with every new release they make. Nevertheless, I found the learning curve quite steep, and have still not figured out all the keyboard shortcuts. It would be great if Google could provide us developers with a "howto migrate" tutorial.

Best Regards,
Benjamin
26th November 2014, 09:58 AM   |  #56  
Thanks Meter: 7

17 posts
I use both Eclipse and Android Studio. Personally, I still prefer Eclipse due to its familiarity and somehow I feel it's easier to read in Eclipse than Android Studio.

On the other hand, Google doesn't support converting from Android Studio project to Eclipse so I have to use AS in another project. I find that Android Studio is much richer in term of features and that's a big plus. In my opinion, when AS become official released, I will be switching to AS.
1st December 2014, 06:06 PM   |  #57  
Flag Jacksonville

18 posts
More
Nice to read some positive remarks about AS. They don't reflect my experience. I
Have used AS for about 6 months, updating to latest release frequently. I have been a MyEclipse user for years so maybe a bit biased. Admittedly, AS is more featured. It has a steep learning curve but that's ok. It's more complex.
But, Gradle integration needs work. For one it kept complaining about versions and no amount of trying ciuld fix this. I installed the 1.0 Beta and have not yet been able to run it. Seems to have major mem leaks-my system locked up each time i used it. Had to reboot each time. (I have 16gig mem and run win7 pro.) These leaks are worse than in prior releases. There's more i could say. I hope Google works it out. I'm staying with Ecliose until they do.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
2nd December 2014, 01:13 AM   |  #58  
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
I prefer Netbeans using the NBAndroid plugin myself.
22nd December 2014, 09:43 AM   |  #59  

12 posts
I have never used Eclipse for a long time, but even though 'fast' is definitely the word I would describe it.
AS has its own problems, but gets Google's supports, they got fixed or will be fixed soon.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread